NUD: Mainland Mahogany Concert

JamieWG

Reaction score
After receiving a gorgeous Mainland cedar/rosewood soprano, I decided to double my pleasure and order a concert size too. They were out of stock on the cedar/rosewood concert model, but based on what others here have said about the mahogany, I wanted to experience that one too. I'd been considering a KPK mahogany, but I was so thrilled with my Mainland soprano that I decided to stick with Mainland. I got the gloss finish and gold, sealed amber tuners. So nice!

So many Mainland ukes have been posted here that I'm sure you don't need images of yet another one. The wood is beautiful, finish is flawless, and setup is ideal. I am not a fan of Aquila strings, so I swapped those out right away. I have Oasis strings on my Mainland soprano and they sound awesome, so I put Oasis on the concert also. I'm really happy with the smoothness, sustain, responsiveness and playability. The uke has a mellow sound, plenty of volume, and is very well balanced all the way up the neck. Both picking and strumming, it responds easily from very quiet to full volume playing. In short, it is a total pleasure to play and I couldn't be happier. Love it to bits!

Once things settle down around here I'll post another thread with sound samples of both ukes and perhaps some photos.

Congratulations! They really are a great value.

John

Cool..... I wonder how many people have turned down ukes that had stock Aquila strings. Both of my Kalas benefitted from Oasis strings. I have Southcoast and Worth Clears, but the Oasis sound fine for now. Maybe the other brands will sound even better, but they Oasis got here first. :D

Looking forward to pics, etc. Enjoy!

Cool..... I wonder how many people have turned down ukes that had stock Aquila strings. Both of my Kalas benefitted from Oasis strings. I have Southcoast and Worth Clears, but the Oasis sound fine for now. Maybe the other brands will sound even better, but they Oasis got here first. :D

Looking forward to pics, etc. Enjoy!

Frank, I have yet to test drive Southcoast strings, but I do like Worth Clears too. I considered putting on the Worths, but the Oasis strings beckoned more. I think D'Addario Pro Artes might also sound great on this uke.

Jamie

I think D'Addario Pro Artes might also sound great on this uke.

Right now I have D'Addario Pro Artes from the UU Store on my Mainland mahogany gloss concert, and I definitely prefer them to the stock Aquilas.

Right now I have D'Addario Pro Artes from the UU Store on my Mainland mahogany gloss concert, and I definitely prefer them to the stock Aquilas.

Cantsing, I have them on another mahogany concert uke and they sound great. If I had another set of them here, I'd probably have put those on instead. I need to restock soon! They take longer to settle in, but then I love 'em. For some reason, I'm less enchanted with the tenor Pro Arte strings, but perhaps it's a matter of that particular tenor uke not getting along with them.

Jamie

Congratulations! I'm thinking of getting a Mainland too....

Congratulations on a great uke! I'm looking forward to sound samples and photos.

I've yet to try a Mainland but look forward to the day I do given all the great feedback on them. Enjoy your new Uke!

OldePhart is precisely why I have a Mainland mahogany soprano hanging over my desk. Congratulations on the concert! But you might want to revisit that cedar concert notion, once Mike gets stocked up again. They're lovely.

John, thanks so much. You actually played a role in my decision to get the mahogany concert, because I know how much you love your Mainland mahogany soprano!

Jamie

OldePhart is precisely why I have a Mainland mahogany soprano hanging over my desk. Congratulations on the concert! But you might want to revisit that cedar concert notion, once Mike gets stocked up again. They're lovely.

Yes, I am definitely going to get a cedar/rosewood concert as well, once they are restocked. I've thought about getting a mahogany soprano too, to accompany my beautiful cedar/rosewood soprano. I think I am getting a case of MAS! (Mainland Acquisition Syndrome) ;)

Heh. MAS. Me too.

Yes, I am definitely going to get a cedar/rosewood concert as well, once they are restocked. I've thought about getting a mahogany soprano too, to accompany my beautiful cedar/rosewood soprano. I think I am getting a case of MAS! (Mainland Acquisition Syndrome) ;)

Top Bottom