Help

dirtmaster4

Reaction score
I need some encouragement to continue playing the ukulele. My ukulele goes out of tune like every five seconds. Any encouraging words for me?

Sure, every day if you continue to tune it it will stay in tune longer if it's a decent instrument. It's just that the strings need time to do some stretching. If you have a instrument that won't hold in tune that's another ball of wax and I'd take it in to have it looked at if in a few days it isn't playing longer in tune. If you don't give up easily the rewards will be great. It's all up to you. Good luck friend.

If all the strings are going out of tune, it's almost certainly just the strings stretching. The first couple of times you go through it, it's hard to believe that they can stretch so much. Just keep strumming and re-tuning, tune up by a half step or so at night, and they will eventually settle.

If you have just one string that won't stay in tune, you might have a problem with a tuning peg.

It might be as simple as changing the strings too! My first ukulele's strings were awful! I put a set of nice ones on and I usually only have to tune it once while I'm playing it.

Great advice given above. Just do not give up. No way!!! You will be so glad you got to the bottom of the situation and once the strings settle in, you will be having a blast!

Also, you can try tightening the little screws that hold the tuning knobs to the tuners. On all ungeared (friction) tuners and on some geared tuners that increases the tension - the tuner will be harder to turn but also will not unwind.

If you've got a really inexpensive uke then the first thing is to put decent strings on it as most of the really inexpensive ukes (Dolphins and the like) come with terrible strings that never seem to settle.

John

are you stretching the strings? it really helps enormously to do this, you just firmly but not violently pull the strings away from the body of the uke, holding them around the soundhole sort of area. when you first get a uke, or change the strings on it, get in tune, then stretch each string a few times, then re-tune, then repeat a few times, you'll hopefully see that the first time you stretch the strings they go out of tune a LONG way, but with each repeat they go out of tune less. i do the string stretching every time i tune the uke on the first day, and then at least once a day for about a week after that, after which time everything has definitely settled down nicely.

what size uke do you have? i recently got a concert uke, and after having no problems with aquila strings going out of tune much once they settled in (and they settled in quickly) on my other ukes, on the concert i continued to have to tune often. i changed to living water strings, and i have no problem now, so if aquilas don't work for you, try any decent make of flourocarbon strings

Top Bottom