DM7 hurts!

pixiepurls

Reaction score
Anyone else get hand cramps leaning that? i have to use my pinky, my ring finer can't reach the 3rd fret with the position of the other things for some odd reason (its normally fine for the 3rd finger 3rd fret).

OCHIES!! I don't like practicing that one!

'G' is the one that gets me......wish there was a friendlier way of fretting it

Anyone else get hand cramps leaning that? i have to use my pinky, my ring finer can't reach the 3rd fret with the position of the other things for some odd reason (its normally fine for the 3rd finger 3rd fret).

Dm7 is also a bar at the 5th fret (gcea tuning)

From 1st to 4th string, I play it like this:
3rd fret, pinkie
1st fret, 1st/index finger
and then a 2nd fret, 2nd finger barre on strings 3 & 4
(or)
3rd string, 2nd fret, 2nd finger
4th string, 2nd fret, 3rd finger

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

There are folks in my uke group who have been playing for years and they usually just skip the DM7 and go right to the G7 that (often) follows. Patience grasshopper.

It just takes a little practice. Once your fingers get used to it you'll discover that it is one of the easier chords - and it's also a closed chord which means you can use it all up and down the neck.

That said, depending on how limber your fingers are and what size uke you are playing there are a couple of things that might help you get there.

First, finger an F7 with you index finger on the 1st fret of the 2nd string and tip of your second finger on the 2nd fret of the fourth string (the standard F and you already know it). (You should always use the tips of your fingers, not the pads, but in this case it's crucial.)

Now, to get the Dm fold your finger as if you were trying to bend it backwards - the pad of the finger should fold right down against the fretboard and now that finger is barring the 4th and 3rd strings at the second fret. That's the Dm - easy peasy. Now, to get the Dm7 just drop your pinky onto the third fret of the 1st string.

You probably haven't used your pinky much up 'til now, so it may be a little tender until it toughens up. Once it does you'll wonder why you ever thought the chord was hard...really! I promise!

BTW, this making the Dm by folding down the second finger really pays off if you want to play blues shuffles. The reason is, a Dm is also an F6 so now you can "dance" through the F F6 F7 F6 sequence really easily.

See, the cool thing about learning an instrument, especially a stringed instrument, and especially the uke, is that every time you master one thing you are actually mastering several things!

Finally, while you're young enough that I doubt you will have any trouble folding that finger "backwards" to make the barre - if it is too difficult for you then you can actually use your ring finger on the 2nd fret of the third string. The reason I don't recommend it as a "first resort" is because it will slow down things like blues shuffles.

John

From 1st to 4th string, I play it like this:
3rd fret, pinkie
1st fret, 1st/index finger
and then a 2nd fret, 2nd finger barre on strings 3 & 4
(or)
3rd string, 2nd fret, 2nd finger
4th string, 2nd fret, 3rd finger

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

hah yeah I tried all those ways! It's a tricky one :) OMG I can not feel the tips of my left fingers, my iPhone doesn't even respond the same when I play games, hah! They don't hurt anymore tho. Need to build up my pinky!

It just takes a little practice. Once your fingers get used to it you'll discover that it is one of the easier chords - and it's also a closed chord which means you can use it all up and down the neck.

That said, depending on how limber your fingers are and what size uke you are playing there are a couple of things that might help you get there.

First, finger an F7 with you index finger on the 1st fret of the 2nd string and tip of your second finger on the 2nd fret of the fourth string (the standard F and you already know it). (You should always use the tips of your fingers, not the pads, but in this case it's crucial.)

Now, to get the Dm fold your finger as if you were trying to bend it backwards - the pad of the finger should fold right down against the fretboard and now that finger is barring the 4th and 3rd strings at the second fret. That's the Dm - easy peasy. Now, to get the Dm7 just drop your pinky onto the third fret of the 1st string.

You probably haven't used your pinky much up 'til now, so it may be a little tender until it toughens up. Once it does you'll wonder why you ever thought the chord was hard...really! I promise!

BTW, this making the Dm by folding down the second finger really pays off if you want to play blues shuffles. The reason is, a Dm is also an F6 so now you can "dance" through the F F6 F7 F6 sequence really easily.

See, the cool thing about learning an instrument, especially a stringed instrument, and especially the uke, is that every time you master one thing you are actually mastering several things!

Finally, while you're young enough that I doubt you will have any trouble folding that finger "backwards" to make the barre - if it is too difficult for you then you can actually use your ring finger on the 2nd fret of the third string. The reason I don't recommend it as a "first resort" is because it will slow down things like blues shuffles.

John

I will try this :) I have a tenor! and yes hah I just said the same above about my pinky before reading your reply. It def is not as tough as the others, it feels "normal" and the others feel numb :)

Such great tips!!! When I first started a couple of months ago I had trouble with all the barre chords because my fingers just did not want to bend backwards (and I am an old fart). But just tried OldePhart's method for Dm and Dm7 and it worked so it just proves that it will come with practice (muscle memory). Thanks

Barre chords still terrify me; it's been four years and I've been avoiding them like the plague because I have eczema and if my fingers stiffen up mid-chord, they get stuck on the neck :wallbash:

Luckily I have super tiny fingers so I can get them all crammed in, which I think will be even easier when I get my first tenor :D I'll tackle the barre chords one day...

I find that making the pinky work is very freeing. I'm just beginning to use it and it's making some chords much easier. Btw to another poster who was having trouble with G it can even be done using the pinky and supposedly makes moving to G7 much easier. So yes, develope that pinky and I'll see you there.

Barre chords still terrify me; it's been four years and I've been avoiding them like the plague because I have eczema and if my fingers stiffen up mid-chord, they get stuck on the neck :wallbash:

Luckily I have super tiny fingers so I can get them all crammed in, which I think will be even easier when I get my first tenor :D I'll tackle the barre chords one day...

Good for you. :cool: I'm inspired by those who make it work even with their disabilities. You rock.

Top Bottom