NUD - Walnut Flea

peaceweaver3

Reaction score
I am somewhere over the rainbow with this Flea that arrived yesterday! :D I'll see if I can get a picture, but meanwhile...

It's a concert with walnut neck, hardwood fretboard (don't know what kind of hardwood though), and walnut laminate top. It's beautiful! I got friction tuners because I like them, and also the grip strips. Didn't like the texture of the Nyltech strings, so I swapped them out for Southcoast LL-NW's - light gauge linear nonwounds. The tuning is holding pretty well already. I really missed the Flea's great intonation when I was playing my son's Lanikai LU21C for a while.

I've had 4 Fleas in the past - 3 sopranos with different designs, and a tenor. I've also had a walnut tenor Fluke and a concert Fluke SB. Of all these, this Flea is my favorite. It feels just right in my hands, the action is great, and the intonation is always a +.

I'm sure you all know the great customer service Magic Fluke Co. provides. I got an automated order confirmation, and a personal message from Phyllis when she processed the order. I emailed after that, requesting low action with the hardwood fretboard, and that was taken care of.

Also bonus points for UPS, the Flea shipped Tuesday from MA and arrived in PA yesterday afternoon. That's good because I couldn't have waited much longer. It took 7 business days from when I placed my order to shipment. That was totally expected, it was in the order confirmation and Phyllis confirmed it too. But you know how the waiting is... :eek:

Well let me say it was worth the wait!

I should have ordered a case. I don't like the new gig bag design, so didn't go for that. I like the Flea case because it has latches. But alas, no outside pocket. I have the Flea in a Lanikai concert case when it's not with me. But that case is way too big. I'd appreciate any hardshell case recommendations, if possible with latches and an outside pocket. Otherwise I'll have to fabricate something, and that could be either very good, or very bad. LOL

Thanks for reading and celebrating with me... Cupcakes for everyone with that sprinkly confetti icing!

Congratulations!!

I hear nothing but good things about Fleas & Flukes.

I suspect that when UAS sinks its fangs into me, I will at some point have to make the trip to Sheffield, MA (about 1 hour's scenic drive north of me) and pay a visit to the fine folks at Magic Fluke. I'm not sure if I'd take to the Flea or the Fluke shape better. But I think that at least one of them is in my future at some point. I like the idea that they are durable; can stand up on their own; have terrific tone & volume; and that the set-up and intonation are always spot-on. Plus, they are more or less local. :drool:

Congratulations Peaceweaver!

I know you've been aching to get another Flea for some time now, I am so happy for you!

Enjoy it!

If you have not done so already, please make sure to add your newest baby to the Magic Fluke Company appreciation thread by clicking here.

Good luck with your Flea!

-Booli

Congratulations. Always good to have a new uke on the way. Love those walnut models.

Kieran Christopher

Now with the PPS100 pickup from JJB Electronics (not shown). Also thinking of installing some Gotoh UPTL's with aluminum drop buttons. I figure since this is my uke of choice, I can customize as I wish. And the Flea is built like a tank, so I wasn't afraid - well, after some positive self-talk - to install the pickup myself. Kieran survived unscathed, but I had a grand time getting super glue off my fingers. LOL

Attachments

• KC.jpg
    KC.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom