New Martin style 3

SamUke

Reaction score
Found a great deal on a Martin 3K. It is was made in 2009 and I noticed it does not have the headstock sticker on the front but newer style 3K's have the sticker. Does anybody have any knowledge as to why they changed it?

The newer style 3 Martins do not have the decal on the front. They are reissues of the late 1920s version. The decal was added in the early 1930s.

The newer style 3 Martins do not have the decal on the front. They are reissues of the late 1920s version. The decal was added in the early 1930s.

The new Style 3's all have the decal, at least the ones on ebay I have looked at have it.

My style new 3 cherry and mahogany both have the decals. I'm guessing it's a new thing they're doing, having no decal.

It's not a big deal to me really but made me think if there have been any other changes to the new ones. Anybody try the new Martins when they first came out with the recent builds? Be curious if the build is any different. Love the 3K I picked up!

The ones I've played are a little heavier than vintage Martins, but they are still very nice.

It's not a big deal to me really but made me think if there have been any other changes to the new ones. Anybody try the new Martins when they first came out with the recent builds? Be curious if the build is any different. Love the 3K I picked up!

so, where's the pic's?!?!?!

The ones I've played are a little heavier than vintage Martins, but they are still very nice.

Totally true. And, owning three modern Martin sops (3C, 2K and 2M), I can tell you, Samuke, that they absolutely do NOT sound as good (sustain, plunky classic MArtin twang, volume, etc.) as the pre-1960 MArtins.

And my 2012 Martins all have headstock decals.

I'm so excited for their values to rise...in 2070, they'll be the cat's pajamas! (And I WILL post photos here at that time)

Last edited:
Here is said uke with it's sibling.

ukes.jpg

Steve, yes that is a 2m. They sound very similar with the 3K slightly brighter but honestly mostly the same. That is not a bad thing since the 2m sounds great.

I should note that the hog has brown worths and the 3k has mystery (probably martins) strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom