C dim chord!

pixiepurls

Reaction score
Okay lovelies you helped me get Dm7 now I am having issues with Cdim.

Bootcamp says 2323 for fingers but I can't seem to bar finger #2 across 3 strings.. and I don't think I am supposed to bar finger #3 against 3 strings because it would mess up the 2nd string (from bottom).

Thank you so much :) you guys are my heroes!!!! :D

Bootcamp says 2323 for fingers but I can't seem to bar finger #2 across 3 strings.. and I don't think I am supposed to bar finger #3 against 3 strings because it would mess up the 2nd string (from bottom).

I play that diminished shape with four fingers; for the 2323 example you are using, I use index and middle for the second fret notes, ring and pinky for the 3d fret notes. Alternately, you can barre on the second fret and use middle and ring for the two notes on the 3d fret, but I find that much more difficult.

I play that diminished shape with four fingers; for the 2323 example you are using, I use index and middle for the second fret notes, ring and pinky for the 3d fret notes. Alternately, you can barre on the second fret and use middle and ring for the two notes on the 3d fret, but I find that much more difficult.

Okay this is what I was doing as it was the only thing that worked, I was so confused by the 2323 thing on the chart because it didn't seem to make sense. Glad to know my instincts are useful :) Why do you think the chart says 2323 tho?

Okay this is what I was doing as it was the only thing that worked, I was so confused by the 2323 thing on the chart because it didn't seem to make sense. Glad to know my instincts are useful :) Why do you think the chart says 2323 tho?

The 2323 on the chart is correct. Start at the string closest to your face. The closest string to your face on the 2nd fret which is the 2, the next string down is the 3rd fret, the next string down is on the 2nd fret and the bottom string is the 3rd fret.

It would be like looking at 3333. That would be barring the 3rd fret because it's all 3's.

I think you may be confusing yourself by trying to number your fingers, or the strings.

The numbers, such as 2323, refer to the frets used to form a particular chord. In this case, G string at the second fret (2), C string at the third fret (3), E string at the second fret (2), and A string at the third fret (3).

There can be, and often are, different ways to finger the strings at the required frets. As most have said, the easiest way for this one is to use all four fingers....

I think you may be confusing yourself by trying to number your fingers, or the strings.

The numbers, such as 2323, refer to the frets used to form a particular chord. In this case, G string at the second fret (2), C string at the third fret (3), E string at the second fret (2), and A string at the third fret (3).

There can be, and often are, different ways to finger the strings at the required frets. As most have said, the easiest way for this one is to use all four fingers....

I always thought those numbers were the finger number, because the fret number is apparent by the picture!?

there are 2 sets of numbers, one for fingers (1-index, 2-middle, 3-ring, 4-pinky) , then one for strings (as you know).

When describing a chord shape, the 4 numbers refer to where the 'dots' would be on a chord diagram, and NOT the recommended or suggested way to form the chord, ie finger numbers.

It gets confusing because for chords like C or F, BOTH the chord-cipher and the suggested fingering would look the same (C= 0003 with the 3rd finger on the 1st string, and F=2010 with the middle finger [#2] on the 4th string 2nd fret, and the index finger [#1] on the 2nd string 1st fret).

It is what it is but it is confusing when no one informs you that the same numbers (1,2,3,4) are used to describe BOTH the strings AND the fingers used to form the chords (that is, where the dots are on the chord diagram).

I hope this helps :)

I'm glad you feel free to ask your questions on the Forum! it will help many who also have the same question in mind.

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Last edited:
I always thought those numbers were the finger number, because the fret number is apparent by the picture!?

No, when referring to a chord in text, one uses the fret numbers for clarity. It doesn't matter (much) how one fingers the chord, as long as it works for the player.

On a forum, for example, or in a text message, I may need to refer to a B7 chord. If I just say "B7", the reader will not necessarily know if I'm meaning 2322, or 4320....both of which are perfectly acceptable B7 chords. When dealing with text formats, one doesn't always have the availability of chord diagrams....

The other thing to consider is that the fingering of a chord shape may change depending on the next chord to be played.
For example, I wish I could Shimmy like my sister Kate, there is a quick run that goes C6 C#dim G6 E7.
Normally C#dim I would finger using first and middle finger, if you use middle (C string) and ring finger(A string) on that run, C#dim, slide up one fret to G6 then drop pointy finger on 1st fret 4th string to get E7. (I think that's right, I'm having a senior moment and don't have a uke with me to double check!)
At least that's how I play it, your mileage may vary.
At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you.
H

Edited out the senoir moment of wrong fingers!

Last edited:
No, when referring to a chord in text, one uses the fret numbers for clarity. It doesn't matter (much) how one fingers the chord, as long as it works for the player.

On a forum, for example, or in a text message, I may need to refer to a B7 chord. If I just say "B7", the reader will not necessarily know if I'm meaning 2322, or 4320....both of which are perfectly acceptable B7 chords. When dealing with text formats, one doesn't always have the availability of chord diagrams....

My brain hurts I will have to read this when the kids are not home lol!

I cheat when I do the Cdim chord (as I have major arthritis in the base of my thumbs and just can't do barre chords!) :(

SO ...... I do the top three strings (CE&A) like a 'G7' but moved up the fretboard by one & just use my thumb on the G string! :D It works perfectly for me! And it is nice & clear.

Tho IF I were to play all 4 'correctly', I'd go with RichM's fingering. :D

cheers
Roberta

The other thing to consider is that the fingering of a chord shape may change depending on the next chord to be played.
For example, I wish I could Shimmy like my sister Kate, there is a quick run that goes C6 C#dim G6 E7.
Normally C#dim I would finger using first and ring finger, if you use ring (C string) and pinky finger(A string) on that run, C#dim, slide up one fret to G6 then drop pointy finger on 1st fret 4th string to get E7. (I think that's right, I'm having a senior moment and don't have a uke with me to double check!)
At least that's how I play it, your mileage may vary.
At the end of the day, it's whatever works for you.
H

How does that mess with muscle memory?

Basically, I have to read through the chord sheet ahead of playing it, recognise the modified fingering.
(Still playing from chord sheets, cannot play without!)
If I don't do that, then I may recognise it on the first pass amd modify the fingering the next time round!
Whenever I play tunes, before starting, I go through the music playing all the chords,
(a) as a reminder what chords to play and
(b) checking for difficult chords to find the alternative fingerings.
That way I am forewarned over the bits that I may have difficulty with, and 'have a plan' when I get to that bit!
H

Basically, I have to read through the chord sheet ahead of playing it, recognise the modified fingering.
(Still playing from chord sheets, cannot play without!)
If I don't do that, then I may recognise it on the first pass amd modify the fingering the next time round!
Whenever I play tunes, before starting, I go through the music playing all the chords,
(a) as a reminder what chords to play and
(b) checking for difficult chords to find the alternative fingerings.
That way I am forewarned over the bits that I may have difficulty with, and 'have a plan' when I get to that bit!
H

That sounds very efficitiant. I hope I can do that one day too!!! I really want to be able to play songs at campfires and on the beach so those around me can sing :)

I love this idea and just tried it. Great!!! Thank you, Roberta!!

Barred chords have changed my life. I love them. They were wicked hard to make sound right, but the more I do it, the more natural it feels. So, I barre the second fret with my index finger. My middle finger is on the C string, third fret. My ring finger is on the A string third fret, just like for a C chord. Felt horrible with cramped, jumbled up fingers to begin with, but I just kept making the shape. I learned this chord shape to be able to play Stars Fell on Alabama.

I cheat when I do the Cdim chord (as I have major arthritis in the base of my thumbs and just can't do barre chords!) :(

SO ...... I do the top three strings (CE&A) like a 'G7' but moved up the fretboard by one & just use my thumb on the G string! :D It works perfectly for me! And it is nice & clear.

Tho IF I were to play all 4 'correctly', I'd go with RichM's fingering. :D

cheers
Roberta

I use a partial chord most of the time when I come across it due to my muscular dystrophy making things awkward. I use 2023 as when going from a F/C chord(2013) it just takes a quick move of one finger to get the chord.

I love playing this chord. Use all 4 fingers like they say. Side note, strum the chord really fast and move it up to the 2nd fret, then 3rd fret, then 4th fret. Sound like the cartoon with the damsel tied to the railroad tracks and the train is bearing down on her. You'll have a blast getting it down this way.

Top Bottom