Six-String Ukes: Which Strings are Doubled?

JoeJazz2000

Reaction score
Is there a general rule for this? I think, but can't be sure, that I've seen the third and first stings doubled, and I think I've seen the third and second strings doubled. Do any six-string ukes come with nuts and bridges that allow the player to choose which to double? I suppose an eight-string nut and bridge would allow this. Just wondering...

Last edited:
My 6 strings all have doubled first and thirds. With re-entrant, I have G cC E AA

Last edited:
Some Like them in unison, but i prefer them in octaves....good luck and try both...happy strummings

I was just wondering about this today, after reading about a Kamaka 6 string that Herb Ohta Sr played in the 1970s that had octave A, unison C, and low G, which surprised me as I've never encountered a 6-string with low G before.

I was just wondering about this today, after reading about a Kamaka 6 string that Herb Ohta Sr played in the 1970s that had octave A, unison C, and low G, which surprised me as I've never encountered a 6-string with low G before.

My 6 string is low G with cC E and AA. Works well for finger style and for strumming as well.

My 6 string is low G with cC E and AA. Works well for finger style and for strumming as well.

I'd like to hear that - do you have sound samples? The whole idea of a 6 string for fingerstyle sort of surprised me, as I've only ever seen or heard 6 strings in Hawaiian music, strictly for strumming. I'm intrigued!

I need to restring mine like that, I think the octave A's are the reason I've never been able to bond with it. I play mostly fingerstyle and use a lot if arpeggiated chords, and the octave A's just bug me. But they do sound cool for just strumming

The traditional Lili'u tuning is
high g
octave high c
e
octave low a

I've done a couple that are what I call a 3/4, because its 3/4 of an 8 string.
octave low g
c
e
double high a

That tuning, if played like Lili'u tuning, doesn't really work; to the point a friend told me not to build that again. I thought about how he plays and then I suggested to play it like a 4, not a six. He did, and said "Okay, I get it".

Initially, the reason I did this is because I never really like the octave high c. But that's just me.

I can deal with the octaves on the 3rd course but the low a to me can be overpowering hence the unison A.

Top Bottom