"OCTAVE" UKE: Sound Sample of "The Eagle" by Compass Rose, Rick Turner

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
"OCTAVE" UKE: Sound Sample of "The Eagle" by Compass Rose, Rick Turner

Hi Everyone, for those who saw "The Eagle" on Compass Rose's Facebook page last week, I'm finally getting around to letting folks hear it. This is the unveiling of it's voice for the first time.

I believe this is the first "Octave Uke" sounds sample to go on the Internet, although it's the 3rd or 4th one that has gone out Rick's door in the last few months ( I believe ). This is also the first set of strings ever used which will most likely evolve. These are wounds with one fluorcarbon from a D'Addario guitar set. Rick and I will be trying different sets and see where this baby peaks out. I'm going to get a set of polished wounds for the next string change, but will be playing these for a few months just to get used to fretting on the new scale.

I will be having a full review and photos on the way, but for now you can hear it here. It really blew my mind when I first heard it. This will be on display at my UkeJam By The Bay in San Francisco on March 29th for everyone to see.

Just an amazing piece of work from Rick and the sound, well it's all about the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-jay/the-eagle-1st-public-voicing

Cheers!

Very cool Jay. Thank you for putting up the sound sample.

Great idea.

Added a couple pics for you. Beautiful !
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Beautiful sound.Please post another audio sample when its settled in with the optimum strings.

Congratulations!

Love the sound sample, but as I'm not a Facebook user, I have no idea what it looks like.

-Kurt​

The Eagle is AWESOME!!!

Congrats, Jay. And well done, Rick and CR.

Interesting concept! I like the tone, but it does sound guitar-like to me. If the uke sounds "happy," then the Eagle sounds melancholy. But it is interesting. Will you have it at the uke jam? I hope to go again this year.

Interesting concept! I like the tone, but it does sound guitar-like to me. If the uke sounds "happy," then the Eagle sounds melancholy. But it is interesting. Will you have it at the uke jam? I hope to go again this year.

Yep, it will be at the jam, so you can check it out. Hope to see you there. This was not supposed to be a "uke" sounding instrument at all, so you confirmed mission accomplished! :agree:

Please forgive my ignorance, Jay. Why is it called an octave ukulele?

It is one full octave below a tenor, still GCEA tuning with a very low G ;-)

Thanks, that's what I assumed but had no idea what kind of string you use for that really low G. In fact, I'm curious about the gauges of strings you are using in general.

These are D'Addarios from a classical guitar set. They are the lower 4 strings of a classical guitar so the gauges are larger compared to a standard tenor or baritone set. These are the first strings tried on this size scale, so I have some other strings I am going to put on and try out. I love the sound as I don't want it to sound like a uke (I have plenty of ukes for that purpose).

I am going to get a polished set or flat wounds and also try some different combinations of strings just to see what it sounds like with different tensions. Nothing wrong with these at all but I do like a smother string. The D'Addarios are a bit noisy as any round wound that is unpolished. I am curious to see what I end up with after trying different strings. I have my tenor/concert ukes nailed down but now this is another adventure with this scale.

Last edited:
I want this in my life.

Wow! That is really cool. Great concept. I like the idea of being able to add a bit of a bass line without a bass.

Top Bottom