Just bought my first "real" uke!!!

RxFunk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just ordered a significant upgrade from my Lanikai LU-11 from HMS. I was looking at a lot of the Kala's in my price range, but eventually I found the Gretsch G9120 SM, which they have price dropped to $219 right now,and I just couldn't resist. It sounds awesome and seems to be pretty well recieved, and with the set up from the guys at HMS, I'm sure it'll be great. I was gonna wait until I got it in to post, but I'm too excited :D. Anyone have any experience with this uke? I'll put up some pics when it comes in next week.

Neat! It looks like a great choice! I don't have that model, but I really enjoy my Gretsch soprano and guitalele. Have fun waiting for its arrival.

I think that's an excellent choice, I've been eyeballin' the concert...but, you're going from a soprano to a baritone?!?!?!

I think that's an excellent choice, I've been eyeballin' the concert...but, you're going from a soprano to a baritone?!?!?![/QUOTE
Thanks, It's a Tenor actually, Baritone is next on my list ;) (oh no, is this a sign of UAS??). The soprano is really too small for my hands, but I bought it on a whim about eight months ago because it was so cheap, and I just fell instantly in love with the sound of the ukulele. The tenor seemed a logical choice for the kind of style I want to play.

The Gretsch is a great instrument. My buddy has one as he played mine and really liked it. I have the 9121 Cutaway. They are very well made. What you get for the price is well worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWuFJji7VHU is a review on the 9121 if you want to check it out and keep your excitement going. You did good!

Cheers

I think that's an excellent choice, I've been eyeballin' the concert...but, you're going from a soprano to a baritone?!?!?![/QUOTE
Thanks, It's a Tenor actually, Baritone is next on my list ;) (oh no, is this a sign of UAS??). The soprano is really too small for my hands, but I bought it on a whim about eight months ago because it was so cheap, and I just fell instantly in love with the sound of the ukulele. The tenor seemed a logical choice for the kind of style I want to play.

I feel the same way, I don't think its UAS if you only have 1 kind of each SIZE haha!! thats what I'm telling myself anyway.

I watched loads of videos online after I decided I liked my daughters Hohner Saprano and I never liked the concert, i always liked the tenor. So I got myself a tenor and now a week later I've ordered a baritone. I don't know if I will ever buy myself a soprano... maybe.. but I prefer tenor. Its such a nice size. Its not really that big at all!

I got the Gretsch G9120 SM for my husband and it is a wonderful instrument. It has such a sweet sound, very comfortable to hold and play, and is very nice to look at without too much bling on there. I love it. I even wrote Gretsch and asked why they didn't make a solid mahogany soprano. If they would make a deluxe soprano, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. My husband's Gretsch is a great instrument.

Great job. I am looking at the same Uke from HMS as well! Enjoy it ...

Don't have but am looking forward to you doing a review with sound sample! :D

I'm looking at and considering the Gretsch G9120 Tenor laminate right now. Looks very good at $129. I might spring for one. I hope your's is great

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and kind words everybody. HMS' site said they were running a bit behind, so I'm hoping to get it by next friday. :fingerscrossed: BTW, I was looking earlier, and didn't seem to find anything, but is there a sticky with book reccomendations, mainly looking for something with songs and theory in it, but either or is fine as well. If someone could post a link or some books they like, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

oops, sorry...I googled it and came up with a baritone...pic's would help! That goes for everybody on NUD, just because we might have seen one before doesn't mean we don't want to see more! ;-D

I bought the cutaway model 9121 and really like it. I have Aquila Low G Reds on it - really like those strings on it.

Well, it came in the mail today, about an hour ago, and I gotta say I'm very happy with this ukulele. The size feels so much better and it sounds so warm, especially with the Worth browns on there. Here's a few pics as promised. By the way, i didn't notice before, but this doesn't have a tie-on bridge, how do I put strings on this?

EDIT: how do I put pics up, I thought I had it, but I guess not, I'm using an Android phone if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Congrats. I was considering a Gretsch concert or but may hold off until the 2014 models with geared tuners are available (or maybe the new long neck soprano). I thought I would be satisfied with only having one uke but..........I seem to have caught the bug.

I got the tenor cutaway a few months ago from a place in Pennsylvania for a great price of $199.95 including shipping, but it was on a slow boat from China (pun intended) and took almost two months to receive it. (I figure it hit port near me in Los Angels, was shipped to Pennsylvania, then shipped all the way back to Los Angeles). Plays very well, but they didn't do a setup, which I'm going to have to do.

u3Gretsch.jpg

Top Bottom