What can I say, I like laminates.

Icelander53

Reaction score
I apologise if this subject has been beaten to death but I'm fairly new here so....

I know that there are some great laminates out there because I own a Fluke. For this discussion however I want to leave that most worthy instrument out of this.

I want a really decent sounding well made traditional body laminate. I'm willing to go $250 for it or in that ballpark hopefully less as I believe cost doesn't necessarily mean best. So I'll consider something at half that price if you think it's truly worthy.

What do you all think are the best sounding and playing of the laminates out there for me to consider as a purchase? Thanks.

You didn't say what size, but the Cordoba 15CM is one of the better sounding all laminates out there. Get a great deal though so you can afford to install grover tuners and a bone nut and saddle. I hear great things about the pricier Kiwaya..which by all accounts is truly worth the price.

There's a really nice koa laminate by kala around, I think the tenor is $280 dollars-ish on HMS, it's beautiful! :) I like laminates too because they're so resilient

I'm probably in a minority here, and haven't been around the park as much as some members, but I like Oscar Schmidt as a budget laminate, and Kala. Guess it depends on your budget, but the OS tenor and concerts and the Kala concert/sopranos that live in my house all make me quite happy. Might do that for you too.

Embrace your inner laminate! Warmly.
Then buy a Mainland.

Ibanez EUW10 was my second ukulele. I have had dozens of ukes now, and this one, I still own. I played it for almost 2 hours today alone. If the features of this concert cutaway with bindings and master grade maple (laminate) were on another solid uke, it would cost five times as much.

Best advice with laminates and other high production-volume instruments: always play before you bring one home. Sit at the music shop, play them all, then ask them to bring out another copy--not the one on the wall--of the one or two that interest you; more, if they are willing to do it. Then, buy the one that calls out to you.

You didn't say what size, but the Cordoba 15CM is one of the better sounding all laminates out there. Get a great deal though so you can afford to install grover tuners and a bone nut and saddle. I hear great things about the pricier Kiwaya..which by all accounts is truly worth the price.

Sorry for my error. I'm looking for a tenor.

Check out the Kala slothead cedar/acacia. It's in my sig. There are satin and gloss versions. The top is solid cedar but I believe the back and sides are lamnate. Street price $260ish.

I have yet to see a bad review. An amazing value in my opinion, not that I'm an authority. I'm not. But , wow nonetheless.

Coolkayaker1, in defense of tenors, they fit my hands better, look at my signature.

I have laminates and solids, (and I'm might be buying that Kala cedar/acacia from MIM tonight on eBay, I'm taking MIM's word that it's a good one since I can't play it). My best sounding and playing uke is my Uku acaciakoa solid top, but my second best is an Oscar Schmidt laminate spalted maple.

Check out the Kala slothead cedar/acacia. It's in my sig. There are satin and gloss versions. The top is solid cedar but I believe the back and sides are lamnate. Street price $260ish.

I have yet to see a bad review. An amazing value in my opinion, not that I'm an authority. I'm not. But , wow nonetheless.

One reason I like laminates is that they don't need special care. I never bag my ukes and they lie in various rooms ready to grab and play. I live in a fairly dry climate. (high desert) I imagine a solid top wouldn't like that treatment.

That's true Icelander. When one of my solid tops cracked a couple of months ago, I converted a bookshelf to a humidified display case to prevent that from happening again, and one benefit is, I don't have a clutter of gig bags and cases all around anymore.

Nice video but I find it hard to hear a lot of difference in those ukes. Sometimes I'm not sure if my choice is not an emotional bias rather than something I'm actually hearing. I'd be pretty happy with any of them. I liked something about the Gretsch, Cordoba and Islander but suspect it's not really a sound thing but more of a look thing.

One reason I like laminates is that they don't need special care. I never bag my ukes and they lie in various rooms ready to grab and play. I live in a fairly dry climate. (high desert) I imagine a solid top wouldn't like that treatment.

The fretboard is still made of metal and solid wood. The headstock is typically solid wood. The neck is layered solid wood. You still need to keep laminate bodies ukuleles within reasonable extremes of humidity and temperature.

Delamination of laminate layer can occur in even typical desert dryness. Cracks in solid wood components, including fretboards, has and will occur. Being on UU long enough, one will hear all sorts of these stories, and one will appreciate that laminates are not as invulnerable as one might think.

Razor fret ends from shrunken fretboard wood, and lifting, uneven frets, which happens with even minor changes in humidity on laminate ukes, is a canary in a coal mine for things to come.

Last edited:
I've had two laminate ukes laying out for over 2 years without noticeable damage. I doubt a solid wood would have made it so well.
And I'm on the edge of high desert so it's not quite so dry as full on desert. Winter humidity is not a problem as it's usually over 35%. Summer is a different matter.

Also at the price of a laminate I wouldn't cry over any spilled milk so to speak.

Last edited:

My first uke was/is the Cordoba 15CM. And I did install Grover tuners, the original ones kind of slipped (??), the replacements were noticeably better. And I did replace the stock saddle with a Tusq saddle. For the price, I felt comfortable tinkering around with it. For $99, plus under $25 for improvements, I really do think it sounds great. I thought it sounded good with the Aquilas that came on it - it also sounds good with Worth clears. I like that I can leave it out year 'round and not worry about it. And I'm not all that concerned about the occasional ding or scratch. My daughter's starting to take an interest, I'd be delighted to pass it on to her and have her take it back to school.

Definitely the best laminate out there in my opinion is the Kiwaya eco line. Unbelievable lightness and they ring forever. Check out a KS6 or even better the pineapple...
Bill

Top Bottom