iPad Recording/Video Apps for recording songs for the seasons

Tootler

Reaction score
With spending half the week at my daughter's just now, I have not felt able to do much about producing entries for the seasons.

I do take my iPad and a uke with me however, so it is possible to produce something. I know some Seasonistas record their entries on "i" things, so what apps do you use and what are their pros and cons?

I user the built in camera app then some graphic,program to make title slides and imovie all on the ipad...

Nothing fancy. Could so better on the Mac but I rather just stay simple and consistent and spend my time on the content itself.

However I want to start integrating two or more videos and audio to make a multi track. Video so I suspect I will need to at least use imovie on the mac to do this..

Would love to see other peoples work flow for multiple video/track project.

There is a great app called Movie Pro which I used to make this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpOGEHQig-k

The sound is directly from my Ipad and is unedited. The used iMovie for the titling and intro. I went through 4 or 5 apps til I found this one. The native app didn't cut it for me.

If you want to do some great audio without video, get WavePad. Free and it's incredibly good.

I had my doubts on my Ipad but it's a darn good mobile recording device with the right software. Adjusting the mic is a must capability or seeing visually what the mic is doing. Otherwise the sound can get quite mushy.

I love A/V and seeing how people are leveraging technology. I was at NAMM 2014 and the recording stuff for the ipad and iPhone was insane. Shotgun mics and condenser to plug in for studio quality audio was shocking as to the quality even in a noisy room. The I platform is growing for this type of activity.

I have a video going up soon on my YouTube channel talking about this mobile recording topic specifically.

Cheers!

Thanks for info so far. I'm not after interfaces for mics, just apps that will let me use the iPad to record a basic video. I haven't figured how to set the built in camera to video yet. I must investigate that. I looked at iMovie but was wary of spending money on it until I can find out whether it's worth the money. I know it's not really expensive but I would rather know if the iPad version is any good.

My PC runs Linux so I don't have experience of either iMovie or Garage Band. At home I use a separate video camera and multi track recorder for audio then edit them together in my PC.

I will investigate Movie Pro. That vid you linked is pretty good, Jay.

Last edited:
Geoff,
When i first started (seasons 87-89) I was using only my ipad. I haven't advanced much since then, to be honest, but I now run it thru Windows Live Movie maker on my PC, just to add titles (and cut out front and rear odd faces, phrases etc, but I think the on board camera will do that too). I would like to do more, but time precludes too much messing around.
I just prop my ipad and the words on a music stand, stand back a few feet, and go for it

Thanks for info so far. I'm not after interfaces for mics, just apps that will let me use the iPad to record a basic video. I haven't figured how to set the built in camera to video yet. I must investigate that. I looked at iMovie but was wary of spending money on it until I can find out whether it's worth the money. I know it's not really expensive but I would rather know if the iPad version is any good.

My PC runs Linux so I don't have experience of either iMovie or Garage Band. At home I use a separate video camera and multi track recorder for audio then edit them together in my PC.

I will investigate Movie Pro. That vid you linked is pretty good, Jay.

You don't need mics, it's just out there if you wanted to get super high quality audio but Movie Pro is great.
Checkout OpenShot and Cinelarra on your Linux box. OpenShot is a fairly basic interface. You don't need Final Cut X or Adobe Premiere for hobby videos. Those are way overkill.

Heck the new IMovie that was just released does great for basic editing. Don't forget Garage Band on the ipad also is great. Tons of options.

Just have to experiment and you will find something you will like.

You don't need mics, it's just out there if you wanted to get super high quality audio but Movie Pro is great.
Checkout OpenShot and Cinelarra on your Linux box. OpenShot is a fairly basic interface. You don't need Final Cut X or Adobe Premiere for hobby videos. Those are way overkill.

Heck the new IMovie that was just released does great for basic editing. Don't forget Garage Band on the ipad also is great. Tons of options.

Just have to experiment and you will find something you will like.

I realised after I replied that you had just used the iPad built in mic. Open Shot is what I use for my You Tube videos. As you say, a simple interface but there is more to it than appears on the surface.

I will investigate iPad apps further but thanks for your help in the meantime.

Open Shot looks pretty nice - even nicer if there were a Windows version.

Open Shot looks pretty nice - even nicer if there were a Windows version.

Yes, Open Shot is easy to use. The interface is similar to the original Windows Movie Maker. I think they had plans for a Windows version at one point but they seem to have been put on hold.

I downloaded Movie Pro and made a video for the current season. Worked great. Movie Pro was easy to use and trimming the video to remove the unnecessary bits at the beginning and end was straightforward. Uploading to You Tube was a bit of hassle but that was unfamiliarity. It should get easier with use. I didn't try adding titles. That's for the future as I get to explore the app.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jay.

I downloaded Movie Pro and made a video for the current season. Worked great. Movie Pro was easy to use and trimming the video to remove the unnecessary bits at the beginning and end was straightforward. Uploading to You Tube was a bit of hassle but that was unfamiliarity. It should get easier with use. I didn't try adding titles. That's for the future as I get to explore the app.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jay.

My pleasure. I use it for just video and then upload to me server for final editing but I am happy to hear the suggestion works. Glad I could help.
Cheers!

My use for it was for recording away from home when I just have the iPad with me.

Yep, me too. It works wonderful for that for sure. If you get iMovie on your Ipad you would do everything from creating trailers, intro's, titles, etc. No bad for 5 bucks.

Top Bottom