PDA

View Full Version : Season 109 of the Ukulele: Girls Just Wanna

Pages : [1] 2

ukuLily Mars
03-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Girls Just Wanna Write Songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Pp2gLA7JY&feature=em-upload_owner

Hello, Seasonistas, and welcome to Season 109!

I have the privilege of filling in for Geoff this week, and I’ll start by saying how delighted I am to be hosting! I haven’t been around as much as I would like and when Ralf asked me to step in I knew this was perfect timing. Thanks, all of you, for having me back!

The theme this week is songs written or co-written by women. For the purposes of this Season, “co-written” is defined as at least one-third of the writing team being a woman/women. If there are two or three writers and one is a woman, it counts. If there are four writers and only one is a woman, it does not count. Sorry, all you Arthur’s Theme fans out there.

If you write your own songs and you’re a woman, you’re probably already working on your entry. If you’re a man, you will have to work with a woman. You may use a poem and add your own music, or a musical composition and add your own lyrics. You are also welcome to invite a woman to work with you in collaboration, perhaps another Seasonista.

Here are the rules:

For no other reason than that it seems we don’t do this any more, I’m going to say no multi-tracking. There are two exceptions to this. One, if you want to do a duet and you’re all by yourself – perhaps, hypothetically, you want to go all Everly Brothers on Season 109 – you may add a track for that, but no showing off. Two, if you want to collaborate with a Seasonista who does not live within commuting distance, you’ll need to get a little fancy.

Videos recorded this week, and please say that it’s for Season 109 of the Ukulele, but if you forget to put it in the video and just put it in the title that’s fine.

Please don’t post until after midnight Hawai’i time Sunday, and you may post until 11:59pm Hawai’i time next Sunday.

HERE’S WHAT I FORGOT TO PUT IN THE VIDEO

One of my greatest accomplishments was the naming of the TCK Rule. Yup, I take full credit (for the naming of it, that is; the "rule" itself is from TCK just being TCK, for which I can claim no credit). I always enjoy hearing what made you want to share your song with us. Obviously, this is completely optional.

In the last Season I hosted, entries were limited to three takes, and I liked it. I don’t want any ‘ukulele-related stress on my watch. I’m going to assume all entries were done in three takes or fewer. This is a guideline, not a rule; take it as seriously as you choose.

Winners will be selected from the Snazzy Trilby. Everyone who enters will get their name in the Snazzy Trilby once, no matter how many times they enter. I am not going to put a limit on entries, but I will ask that you not post any videos that are not official entries in this thread. I am generally good about updating the playlist and commenting, so help me out by sticking with videos that fit the entry criteria. There will be no bonus playlist.

Prizes! What a conversation starter a pair of chic, red YouTube sunglasses will be, yes? :cool:

Later in the day I will post some suggestions for songwriters but I will let you all talk amongst yourselves first. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s entries!

Playlist is HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHVHWUFwOPY&list=PLeeg21oFp5m1VUrpiX498n-00mJoG74nr)!

lelouden
03-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Great! Im getting started. Thanks Lily:)

Concertina
03-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Awesome theme! Got my song all picked out!

Bookworm
03-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Maybe I'll enter (this would be my first Season if I do)! I do have a quick question--does it have to be an original song?

29moons
03-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Hurray! No multi-tracking so I won't feel stressed over that. Also, I immediately thought of "Money Changes Everything" by Cyndy Lauper but alas she did not write it. I have a few ideas anyways and I will put on my thinking cap to make sure they are written by women. Great theme.

frisbee fred
03-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Great idea for a theme, Lily. Looking forward to this week.

bird's eye view of my ukelele
03-15-2014, 07:29 PM
super awesome theme, lily!

Maybe I'll enter (this would be my first Season if I do)! I do have a quick question--does it have to be an original song?
yay! do enter! it doesn't have to be an original song, indeed it can only be an original song if you are a girl

otherwise whatever gender you are, the song has to be written by, or have at least a one third song-writing share by, a woman

Bookworm
03-15-2014, 07:38 PM
yay! do enter! it doesn't have to be an original song, indeed it can only be an original song if you are a girl

otherwise whatever gender you are, the song has to be written by, or have at least a one third song-writing share by, a woman

Thanks! Time to start looking at songs!

ukuLily Mars
03-15-2014, 07:50 PM
As BEVOMU said, it does not. Would love to have you participate in this Season! Welcome! (Besides, I'm a writer, so anybody called Bookworm is a friend of mine.)

Hurray! No multi-tracking so I won't feel stressed over that. Also, I immediately thought of "Money Changes Everything" by Cyndy Lauper but alas she did not write it. I have a few ideas anyways and I will put on my thinking cap to make sure they are written by women. Great theme.
She did write a lot of other songs, though, including the score to the musical "Kinky Boots." She didn't write the song quoted in the thread title, but the thread title is not a coincidence! ;) Good for you for catching that. She co-wrote a lot of songs but watch the one-third rule with this one.

super awesome theme, lily!

Thanks! BEVOMU is right; it does not need to be an original song. I just wanted to be clear for those of us who do write songs, and to encourage the ladies who do write songs to post their originals. But most entries will most likely not be originals, like pretty much every other Season.

ukuLily Mars
03-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Also, my glasses are crooked in the video. I am mortified.

Bookworm
03-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Also, my glasses are crooked in the video. I am mortified.

I didn't even notice. So then I looked at the video again, and still didn't notice. ;)

ukuLily Mars
03-15-2014, 08:20 PM
I didn't even notice. So then I looked at the video again, and still didn't notice. ;)
Oh yeah. We're gonna get along just fine, Bookworm.

03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
anyone else :wallbash: because the song they just CANNOT get out of their head, only has a one quarter woman-writing-credit?

the seasons - making you use your brain since february 2012

lelouden
03-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Lily when You say no multi tracks I understand that you mean musically you want the raw version but what about the video. Are you including no video upgrades...like no pics or movie editing?

29moons
03-15-2014, 09:26 PM
She did write a lot of other songs, though, including the score to the musical "Kinky Boots." She didn't write the song quoted in the thread title, but the thread title is not a coincidence! ;) Good for you for catching that. She co-wrote a lot of songs but watch the one-third rule with this one.

I have already found mine, it's a song in my regular list that I like to play and it's a 50/50 song writing credit. My wife is taking my daughter to a birthday party tomorrow so I should have a 2 hour window to record. I will submit in my usual style or not, we'll see when we get there.

ukuLily Mars
03-15-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm gonna say no, none of that. If you have something special in mind send me a PM and I'll consider it but I don't want people putting their energy into production.

29moons
03-15-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm gonna say no, none of that. If you have something special in mind send me a PM and I'll consider it but I don't want people putting their energy into production.

Oh! I like that, it's like opposite me. Just a nice straight video of us playing and singing. After last weeks video I made I welcome simplicity. 1 ukulele/singer, 1 camera. Pretty simple, maybe I'll wear a hat.

pabrizzer
03-16-2014, 01:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHVHWUFwOPY
Based very loosely on the terrific original (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPknfkbbvB0)

Tootler
03-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Good list of female songwriters here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9645702/The-50-top-female-singer-songwriters.html?frame=2384334)

UkeyDave
03-16-2014, 03:21 AM
Gaga just aint the same with a bunged up nose. :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJfXZu7ywaI

decaturcomp
03-16-2014, 04:07 AM
Welcome bookworm!!
Nice to meet you.
I look forward to your contributions to the Seasons!!

decaturcomp
03-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Your Majesty,

The way I understand the rubrics, you could contribute to the (re)writing of the song in question bringing the gender balance to 2/5 which is 40% grrrrrlpower vs 33.333% when the female contribution is a mere 1 of 3. Now: since you are such a dab hand at writing, here's your chance to collab with some greats you admire. Write a new verse or something, eh?

There you go, off with ye. And get to work...heh.

Sorry for speaking out of turn Lilykins. I hope I'm not wrong when this seems so right.

anyone else :wallbash: because the song they just CANNOT get out of their head, only has a one quarter woman-writing-credit?

the seasons - making you use your brain since february 2012

RAB11
03-16-2014, 04:14 AM
I've got a couple already in my repertoire I can do... Gonna try and learn something new though.

I've got an Arcade Fire song in mind... Writing is credited to the band as a whole, two of the seven members are female but as this one is sung by one of the girls as opposed to the guy who normally sings I assume it's her baby.., so would that count?

Concertina
03-16-2014, 04:15 AM
Gaga just aint the same with a bunged up nose. :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJfXZu7ywaI

Omg Dave I love you.
Also thank you for taking the Lady Gaga temptation from me! I do that song, but much more country lol

xommen
03-16-2014, 04:15 AM
This is a song that was covered by U2, it was originally a Patty Smith song, she wrote this together with Ivan Kral.
This is U2 - Dancing Barefoot (I could probably have used just a touch less volume on my uke ;)).

http://youtu.be/UEw5ejYuh7A

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Lily when You say no multi tracks I understand that you mean musically you want the raw version but what about the video. Are you including no video upgrades...like no pics or movie editing?

Linda, this was meant to be an answer to your question but there was a post in between I didn't see at the time. Sorry for any confusion. I hope this helps!

Oh! I like that, it's like opposite me. Just a nice straight video of us playing and singing. After last weeks video I made I welcome simplicity. 1 ukulele/singer, 1 camera. Pretty simple, maybe I'll wear a hat.
Yay! :music:

Your Majesty,

The way I understand the rubrics, you could contribute to the (re)writing of the song in question bringing the gender balance to 2/5 which is 40% grrrrrlpower vs 33.333% when the female contribution is a mere 1 of 3. Now: since you are such a dab hand at writing, here's your chance to collab with some greats you admire. Write a new verse or something, eh?

Sorry for speaking out of turn Lilykins. I hope I'm not wrong when this seems so right.
You are not wrong. The math speaks for itself.

I've got a couple already in my repertoire I can do... Gonna try and learn something new though.

I've got an Arcade Fire song in mind... Writing is credited to the band as a whole, two of the seven members are female but as this one is sung by one of the girls as opposed to the guy who normally sings I assume it's her baby.., so would that count?
Nope. Songwriting credits only, doesn't matter who sang it. There are lots of songs by women that were sung by men, and those would count. I know you can find something!

Y'know, there are some lady Seasonistas who have written songs in the past, and one might cover one of those if one were so inclined.

Getting ready to start the playlist. It'll be up soon.

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Omg Dave I love you.
Also thank you for taking the Lady Gaga temptation from me! I do that song, but much more country lol
No reason we can't have your version, too...

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Aaaaannnnnddddd... we have a playlist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHVHWUFwOPY&list=PLeeg21oFp5m1VUrpiX498n-00mJoG74nr)! (It's added to the first post as well.) At least I think we do. YouTube has changed the process and I'm annoyed. I think I have it under control, but please let me know if anything isn't working. Also I'm noticing that YouTube is not showing me comments I've posted, so if I comment on your video here in the thread and you do not see a comment from me on YouTube, please let me know. I try to do both.

I'm starting to think maybe the chic, red YouTube sunglasses aren't such a great idea.

Oh, well, let's get this party started, technical difficulties or no! We've got three videos posted and I love them!

pabrizzer -- Back Around -- This is such a pabrizzer performance it's like the song was written for you! Really great job, and thanks for getting us started with the incomparable Bonnie Raitt.

UkeyDave -- Bad Romance -- No! It was not pretty bad! I thought it was wonderful. You did make me laugh out loud, but you were laughing, too. You played beautifully and it was a really fun performance. I hope your cold gets better soon!

xommen -- Dancing Barefoot -- What a great song choice for you! I knew you would find a way to get U2 in this week. I thought you did an excellent job with this.

UkeyDave
03-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Omg Dave I love you.
Thank you Concertina. I'd LERVE to hear a Country version. Go for it. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. ;-)

redpaul1
03-16-2014, 09:08 AM
She [Cyndi Lauper] did write a lot of other songs, though, including the score to the musical "Kinky Boots." She didn't write the song quoted in the thread title, but the thread title is not a coincidence! ;)

No - this guy (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/robert-hazard-girls-just-want-to-have-fun-writer-899005.html) did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLNwOxPsjg

Great theme, btw, Lili M ;-)

greyghost
03-16-2014, 09:14 AM
My son has joined me again, for a bit of Bette Midler (who didn't write it, but the actual songwriter is also female).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sctZKaMta5M

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 09:31 AM
greyghost -- The Rose -- My apologies, but I've forgotten your son's name! I'm delighted he's joining us again this week. This is a lovely version of this song. I like the way you play the accompaniment as well. Thanks!

29moons
03-16-2014, 09:38 AM
This is "We're Gonna Be Friends" by the White Stripes. Song writing credits to Jack White and Meg White. A simple version and simple video with just me and my Luna Concert uke.

http://youtu.be/ymoaice2bC0

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Tootler posted a link earlier with some great suggestions for women songwriters.

Here are some women who write music and/or lyrics primarily for musical theatre. This is just off the top of my head, so it's by no means a comprehensive list, but I thought it might help. Also I know a few of these ladies so I thought I would bring them to your attention.

Lynn Ahrens
Betty Comden (not all of her songs pass the one-third rule)
Carolyn Leigh
Carol Hall
Amanda Green
Mary Rodgers
Sylvia Fine
Dorothy Fields
Kristen Anderson-Lopez

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 10:10 AM
29moons -- We're Gonna Be Friends -- Dude, snazzy lid! Glad you went for the hat. Great song choice, very well played and sung. I love the look of the video; you made the simplicity part of the design! Very cool.

mythinformed
03-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Blimey we're on page 4 already !!
Great theme Lily, I especially like the idea of keeping things simple re the veto of multi-tracking, theres nothing worse than me plink plinking to me toons directly below an entry thats incorporated the latest Royal Philharmonic Orchestra‎ software !! Lol

greenie44
03-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Also, I immediately thought of "Money Changes Everything" by Cyndy Lauper but alas she did not write it.

Fantastic song, though. And she did co-write "Time After Time", which is even better, IMHO. And if you want to be discouraged from doing this song - or ever singing again - check out YouTube for the duet she did with Patti Labelle on this one.

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Blimey we're on page 4 already !!
Great theme Lily, I especially like the idea of keeping things simple re the veto of multi-tracking, theres nothing worse than me plink plinking to me toons directly below an entry thats incorporated the latest Royal Philharmonic Orchestra‎ software !! Lol
Ha! Me too! It works for some Seasons but sometimes it's nice to keep the playing field level.

Glad you like the theme!

greenie44
03-16-2014, 10:27 AM
OK, so, in observance of the TCK rule, it’s only appropriate that I start with a story related to why I did this song. About 15 years ago, I was having dinner at a trendy restaurant in the Detroit area. I had just given my credit card to the server when my friend said “jfdsaklj’s lkjs”, or something like that in a whisper through clenched teeth. I said “What?” and she said “ghfurhjksdf’s kjgd”. I again asked her what she said, and she whispered “Aretha’s here”. I nearly jumped out of my seat and said “Where?” She said she wouldn’t tell me because she thought I would make a scene and embarrass the notably shy Queen. (Oh, and she was right.) By this time, the party had entered the restaurant and all I could see was the back of a cloth coat – Kelly green with a leopardskin collar. I said “That’s not her – she doesn’t dress that bad”. But my friend insisted it was.

About this time, our server came back and said “You can tell your friends that you ate at a restaurant with Aretha Franklin tonight”. At this point, I start insisting that I HAVE to go up and say hello, but my friend doesn’t let me. We leave the restaurant, and Aretha and her party are sitting in a corner table by the outside windows, so I insisted again that we have to at least walk by her. My friend consents to this small gesture, so we walk down the street towards the window. As I approach, I stick up one finger (as in “You are number 1”) and mouth out “You are the best, you are the best” as we walk by. Aretha notices me and shyly waves, and then puts her head into her hand and actually blushes.

After we got to the car, I drove by the window a few times, just to savor the moment. And that was as close as I have ever gotten to a true goddess.

So you may have guessed that I think that Aretha Franklin is the greatest singer in the world. Full stop. I get choked up just hearing her say "I got a call the other day . . . ."

And the story and all was meant to distract you from a simple fact - I AM NOT WORTHY OF THIS SONG. Not worthy of the composers (Geoff Goffin and Carole King), and certainly not worthy of even touching the hem of the longest garment of the Queen of Soul herself. But, for me at least, the Seasons are about stretching, and this is about as much of a stretch as I could handle without multi-tracking. One take. Hope it is not too sacrilegious.

http://youtu.be/moxxLXXFrYc

GinnyT11
03-16-2014, 10:40 AM
After we got to the car, I drove by the window a few times, just to savor the moment. And that was as close as I have ever gotten to a true goddess.

So you may have guessed that I think that Aretha Franklin is the greatest singer in the world. Full stop. I get choked up just hearing her say "I got a call the other day . . . ."

Great story, Rick. You showed her both enthusiasm and R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Hippie Dribble
03-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Michelle Shocked has always been my favourite female singer and songwriter - well since I was a teenager. First rekkid came out in 86 when I was a shy little 9th grader and she was a punk. saw her at a Uni gig in Hobart in around 93 and there was me and about 14 other people. Had a huge bust up with her rekkid company and they froze her recordings for ages, then she went to court, got her rights back, and went independent. Then out of nowhere it seemed she became a hard boiled Christian. But she never stopped being a punk at heart. Lost a lot of fans and gained a whole bunch of new ones. I admire her journey, but most of all, I adore her music and her stories. She plays politics,folk, rock, blues, jazz, swing, gospel and kicks ass. She even did an album of Disney songs. I have all her LPs and have played her songs for nearly 30 years on my guitar but never this one, til now. "Fogtown" was on her debut rekkid, "The Texas Campfire Tapes", an intimate, live, low-fi affair and still one of the best folk albums ever. Thanks for a great week Lily, I hope I have time to record some more stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoygYP8FVw

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 11:43 AM
greenie44 -- Natural Woman -- And Carole King is in the Season! I was wondering when she was going to show up. I lovelovelove your Aretha Franklin story, and I'm so glad you connected with her. While I agree with you that Carole King, Gerry Goffin, and Aretha are extraordinary, I don't agree that you're not worthy of this song. The lyrics are incongruous, sure, but it's also not an easy song to perform well and you hit it out of the park. Thanks!

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 11:52 AM
eugene ukulele -- Fogtown -- Wait. You're telling me you were shy? (Just kidding!) This is a terrific song! I don't know much about Michelle Shocked so I appreciate your telling us a little about her. I loved your performance of this; it's a great song for you. I hope you have time to record more stuff, too! I always love your videos.

Hippie Dribble
03-16-2014, 11:56 AM
eugene ukulele -- Fogtown -- Wait. You're telling me you were shy? (Just kidding!) This is a terrific song! I don't know much about Michelle Shocked so I appreciate your telling us a little about her. I loved your performance of this; it's a great song for you. I hope you have time to record more stuff, too! I always love your videos.
Thanks Lily. Yep shy as a country mouse and always will be. Glad you liked the tune mate.

Tootler
03-16-2014, 12:25 PM
I thought I would get one in before I go off to London again tomorrow morning.

Carole King is in the Season!

Carole King was the first name that sprang to my mind when I saw the theme. However, I remembered this one which I have always liked.

Written by Joni Mitchell and first recorded by Judy Collins, though Joni recorded it herself a couple of years later. I actually have the words, music and chords in a book of folk songs for recorder which I have had for many years. It was pitched a little high for me so I got out my Bb tuned uke and not only did it make it easier to sing, but I had forgotten how nice that particular uke sounded tuned down a tone.

http://youtu.be/rVv7mNcCuMM

I hope we'll get some more Joni Mitchell this week. I looked on her website and her output is prodigious.

I have a couple of Carole King songs up my sleeve for when I get back home at the end of the week, depending on what others do in the meantime.

Cornfield
03-16-2014, 12:30 PM
http://youtu.be/BmtPMRbOAYE

Written by June Carter. I bought this uke for my wife 2 summers ago. She decided not to play it but won't let me sell it. This is my first time trying to play the little beastie. Third take rule in effect.

Bookworm
03-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Well, here goes nothing!
I thought I was smiling, but it turns out I'm sort of giving the camera a death glare... totally unintentional. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLHK7c4kOoY&feature=youtu.be

Shady Wilbury
03-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the Seasons, Bookworm!

It's a real shame about the background noise, but your performance here is great. :) And your comment above...that has to be the Post Of This Thread!

Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Bookworm
03-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the Seasons, Bookworm!

It's a real shame about the background noise, but your performance here is great. :) And your comment above...that has to be the Post Of This Thread!

Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, the camera I used isn't that great for movies.

Yeti&Kira
03-16-2014, 12:56 PM
UkeyDave, man, you rock!!! :)

Yeti&Kira
03-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Great theme! Here's our entry. We have a short-list of songs we want to do, and Kira says she feels truly and deeply ashamed of her performance. :) So we're gonna have to do some other song later this week :) But here's for now:

http://youtu.be/3GZdxNJqYt8

greyghost
03-16-2014, 02:48 PM
We got a little carried away and did another one--what this thread really needs is more artsy punk, so here's some Patti Smith for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1k02sfW3-w

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 03:02 PM
This is true.

Concertina
03-16-2014, 03:16 PM
No reason we can't have your version, too...

Oh no no, well, maybe...if I do a second song.
I've had mine picked since the contest was posted...probably going to record in a bit here.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the versions of The Rose, one of my all time favorite songs since I was very little and We Are Gonna Be Friends...I love the White Stripes, especially that album.

ukuLily Mars
03-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Comments!

First comment: Seasonistas are awesome! Oh, we already know this. Moving on.

Tootler -- Both Sides Now -- I'm happy to see Carole and Joni made it here on Day 1. All is right with the world. Geoff, you did a lovely job with this song, which is not an easy one. You're right about that uke; it sounds great with that tuning.

John Sargent -- Ring of Fire -- I loved this! It was haunting (in a good way). A really nice take on the song, and not like any I've heard before (again, in a good way). Happy you went with the three-take rule.

Bookworm -- Love is Marching -- Welcome to the Seasons, Bookworm! For anyone unfamiliar with BarlowGirl, the song was written by Alyssa Barlow. I mention this because I was unfamiliar with BarlowGirl. A terrific song and you did a beautiful job with it. I looked miserable in my first video. Okay, my first several videos, and by "several" I mean "all of 'em." Some day, Bookworm, when you are very old, you won't care what anyone thinks. Or at least you'll think you don't, and then you'll notice your glasses were on crooked... oh, never mind. You sounded (and looked) wonderful, and the most important part is you showed up, which takes guts. Woo-hoo!!!

Yeti&Kira -- I Will Never Love You More -- This was adorable! Love the song. My problem is this: If I tell Kira she was wonderful and she must not be ashamed, will she decide not to do another song this week? You see my problem. But I have to tell you the truth, which is that you were both awesome. I hope you will do another one anyway.

greyghost & son -- Because -- Absolutely right, we needed some artsy punk. You two crack me up. I thought this was a blast (and it was totally the right call to go with the Patti Smith version). Very glad you decided against smashing the ukulele. That would have gone into "trying too hard" territory.

Okay, Seasonistas, I think I'm going to call it a night! The playlist is updated through greyghost & son, so if you're not on it and you should be please let me know. Thanks for getting this week off to such a great start! You're all welcome to hang out as long as you like but try not to trash the place.

Bookworm
03-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Thank you so much, ukuLily!

Concertina
03-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Awesome job Bookworm! I make the stupidest faces in my videos...do NOT feel bad. I am definitely looking up some BarlowGirl now.

Concertina
03-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Here is "What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes...written by Linda Perry in 1992 for their album Bigger, Better, Faster, More! (Something nice and simple after last week hehe.)

I promise that I stuck to the 3 take rule...kinda...maybe this was 3 and a 1/3...I so wanted to keep redoing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vzOwC1RYdI&feature=youtu.be

bonesigh
03-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Great job Bookworm (: Thanks for reminding me how much I like Barlow Girl. Welcome to the Seasons!!

Well, here goes nothing!
I thought I was smiling, but it turns out I'm sort of giving the camera a death glare... totally unintentional. XD

TCK
03-16-2014, 08:04 PM
So many new folks coming around nowadays- welcome all! However...it is probably important to explain <TCK> that I ma grown man with a penchant for the Ukulele...bourbon...long winded explanations...and ridiculous song choices. I rarely ascend beyond about ten in terms of maturity, and I have never made a video that took more than three takes.
Number 317 is no exception...a romp through the nether regions of the digestive system penned by miss Kimya Dawson. This is a song I dearly love. I asked Melissa if she would play it with me and she said "HELL NO"...I figure that means it is worthy. Goes out to my little friend Rayden, and of Course Ukuleledaddy and his lovely little gals. A song about butts for season 109.
Oh yeah- and I have a soft spot for miss Lily...I will be back.
For now, this is 1 minute and 26 seconds of your life that could be spent in a different and better way...but why the hell not?</TCK>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL1mVtoowKA&feature=youtu.be

myrnaukelele
03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Cross posting. While looking for a song to do this season I stumbled upon this gem. Not only does it mention 11 it's about a railroad engineer - how could I not learn it?! I didn't say the season since I wanted to use it for both. And I'm actually planning on learning a different song for my official entry for this season.
This is by Moonshine Kate (originally recorded circa 1930)

http://youtu.be/4BgspKeDLXA.

03-16-2014, 10:40 PM
The way I understand the rubrics, you could contribute to the (re)writing of the song in question bringing the gender balance to 2/5 which is 40% grrrrrlpower vs 33.333% when the female contribution is a mere 1 of 3.

...here's your chance to collab with some greats you admire. Write a new verse or something, eh?

genius

:bowdown:

the seasons are not just about music. or ukes. they are about math(s), pie charts, graphs, stats, metaphysics and autobiography

and that's a scientific FACT

You are not wrong. The math speaks for itself.
see?!

I could probably have used just a touch less volume on my uke ;)
does.not.compute!

My son has joined me again, for a bit of Bette Midler
who in their right mind wouldn't want a bit of bette midler?!

that's just your rock face

we've all got one

you can't see mine because of the bird's eye view, but i must have one!

03-16-2014, 11:00 PM
oh pook

when i say this thread is full of amazing maths

i obviously don't mean ME

due to the fact that i obviously couldn't count before HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN A BAND, i have just realised that the song i am obsessing about actually only has a one FIFTH lady writing-share

you know the drawing board?

i'm just popping back there.................................

mythinformed
03-17-2014, 01:36 AM
.................and breathe ............:D

RAB11
03-17-2014, 01:43 AM
We got a little carried away and did another one--what this thread really needs is more artsy punk, so here's some Patti Smith for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1k02sfW3-w

This is brilliant. I was planning on covering this song too, but I don't think I'll touch it, no way I could match that.

I have come up with a shortlist of three though. I'll probably just do the lot.

Concertina
03-17-2014, 02:54 AM
So many new folks coming around nowadays- welcome all! However...it is probably important to explain <TCK> that I ma grown man with a penchant for the Ukulele...bourbon...long winded explanations...and ridiculous song choices. I rarely ascend beyond about ten in terms of maturity, and I have never made a video that took more than three takes.
Number 317 is no exception...a romp through the nether regions of the digestive system penned by miss Kimya Dawson. This is a song I dearly love. I asked Melissa if she would play it with me and she said "HELL NO"...I figure that means it is worthy. Goes out to my little friend Rayden, and of Course Ukuleledaddy and his lovely little gals. A song about butts for season 109.
For now, this is 1 minute and 26 seconds of your life that could be spent in a different and better way...but why the hell not?</TCK>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL1mVtoowKA&feature=youtu.be

HAHAHAHA LOVED IT! I need to learn that song like RIGHT NOW!

pabrizzer
03-17-2014, 03:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4IsQIZhAY

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 05:49 AM
that's just your rock face

we've all got one

you can't see mine because of the bird's eye view, but i must have one!
It's true, BEVOMU has one. For those of you who weren't around last time I hosted, I inadvertently blew BEVOMU's cover. She is a member of the British Royal Family and is under very tight security. Your secret is safe here, BEVOMU. Or it would be if I hadn't just blown your cover again. Oops.

This is brilliant. I was planning on covering this song too, but I don't think I'll touch it, no way I could match that.

I have come up with a shortlist of three though. I'll probably just do the lot.
Definitely do the lot. (But we love duplicates. They're always different, in a good way. They're like snowflakes!)

oh pook

when i say this thread is full of amazing maths

i obviously don't mean ME

due to the fact that i obviously couldn't count before HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN A BAND, i have just realised that the song i am obsessing about actually only has a one FIFTH lady writing-share

you know the drawing board?

i'm just popping back there.................................
**cough** Go-Gos **cough**

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 06:14 AM
More great videos! And I've got thoughts!

concertina -- What's Up? -- Very nice to meet you, concertina! I have to go back and look at your other videos. I loved this one! You have a wonderful voice, and you hit this song out of the park. The three-take rule is really for your own protections. Seems some people get stressed out and lose their minds, and by "some people" I mean "me." And don't worry about smiling; you've got a kinda Debbie Harry thing going on so I think you've got that covered.

TCK -- I can't even -- Actually, if I recall correctly, your most ridiculous song choice ever was instigated by me. You're welcome. I reluctantly admit that I laughed out loud at this, but please don't tell anybody. For the record, Melissa was right. Oh, and some day, when I show up at your house, we will play and sing and have a wonderful time. We will not play and sing this song. (But... um... it is a very funny song. Ssshhh.) Hey, did you notice there's no limit this week? Just saying.

myrnaukulele -- My Man's a Jolly Railroad Man -- This was just adorable! It's a wonderful song and it shows off your voice so beautifully. I loved your playing as well, and it's a joy to see you surrounded by 'ukuleles! I'm going to count this as an entry to make sure you get one in (everybody only gets one entry in the Snazzy Trilby anyway), but I would love for you to do another.

pabrizzer -- Adam and Eve -- This was a wonderful performance! I love your relaxed style combined with perfect singing and playing. Really fun. (By the way, did my comment ever show up on your first video? I can't see it but I know I wrote one.)

Playlist is updated through pabrizzer's video. Please let me know if I've missed any. Awesome entries! Thank you all!

~dave~~wave~
03-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Ragged one-take shot at a song by a great Canadian trio who happen to be women, The Be Good Tanyas.

Stats: 100% composed by Ms. Frazey Ford ~ E chord positions: 4447, 9877

http://youtu.be/79F4o-LAVZ4

UkeyDave
03-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Well, here goes nothing!

Welcome Bookworm. Your "death glare" comment made me laugh out loud. Great job. I'm sure the death glare will disappear with each new entry. ;-)

UkeyDave
03-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Wow - thank you. What a nice comment. You've cheered my day up.

lelouden
03-17-2014, 07:02 AM
When I first read the theme for this week my first thought was Carole King. King is in my opinion the Queen of Writers.

Greenie, Ill give you Aretha for the vocalist of all time but without writers like King, Aretha would have nothing to sing:)

But, even though my thoughts went straight to Carole Kings "Tapistry" which held the record for most weeks at #1 by a female artist for more than 20 years and she wrote every song on that album I made the decision to get my name in the hat for Janis Ian.

Janis wrote the song "Seventeen" at the age of 22 in 1973 at her mother's house over the course of three months. The song is a commentary on adolescent cruelty, the illusion of popularity, and teenage angst, as reflected upon from the maturity of adulthood. It is told from the point of view of a woman who was an "ugly duckling" as a girl and ignored in high school while the popular girls got all of the attention. Ian says that the song was inspired by a newspaper article about a former teenage debutante who learned the hard way that being popular did not solve all her problems. She also says she initially did not want to record or perform the song because she felt it was far too personal to share, but eventually changed her mind after adding the song's final verse ("To those of us who knew the pain/Of Valentines that never came..."). On Valentine's Day 1977, Ian received 461 Valentine cards, having indicated in the lyrics to "At Seventeen" that she never received any as a teenager. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCTMcbQ1QE) is a recording of Janis talking about the success of the song and what it has meant to her to have it sing out to the world.

As I was seventeen in 1976/77. I too among millions or googolplexians of girls heard, related and fell in love with the song:)

At midnight and in my PJ's Last night I finally snuck some time to record in my kitchen where I have the best natural reverb besides my bathroom:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mL-TCC23yY&feature=youtu.be

MattLindahl
03-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Hey there. I don't get out much these days, this video will help to explain that... My first thoughts were of Dar Williams - if you don't know her, you oughta. I still love her music, but when I discovered her at 19, I loved her writing, the honesty of it. Quick on her heels was this woman, Lucinda Williams, I chose a fairly popular song of hers, but the catalog is deeeeep..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUUebFicq8&feature=youtu.be

barefootgypsy
03-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Hi Lily! What a great theme you picked! I do hope I have time to enter this week! Just got back from a weekend away and looked to see what the theme is. I'll do my best to get a song in, and watch some videos......

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi Lily! What a great theme you picked! I do hope I have time to enter this week! Just got back from a weekend away and looked to see what the theme is. I'll do my best to get a song in, and watch some videos......
I hope so, too! I'd love to see what you choose. And of course I always enjoy hanging out with you.

DWitt
03-17-2014, 08:55 AM
"Universe & U," written and performed by KT Tunstall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcDh0VUGqDQ

wee_ginga_yin
03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Song by the inimitable Yorkshire Songstress Kate Rusby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO1I4iKHOrg)

Her version here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5FkAmTaJY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5FkAmTaJY)

http://youtu.be/l8aXgvJiQLg

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 09:22 AM
More comments!

~dave~~wave~ -- (You're a) Human Thing -- Fun song! I was unfamiliar with it and I enjoyed it. Very well done, and you did a great job with both instruments! Love the sound of this 'uke.

lelouden -- At Seventeen -- What a beautiful, moving performance of an iconic song! You used a more upbeat accompaniment, I thought, than Ms. Janis did, and I found it very powerful. And your voice is perfect for this. I could go on for days. And I have to say one thing, as a writer: Janis Ian used words so beautifully, and she knew when to say a thing directly. Every time I hear "ugly girls like me" it takes my breath. Is it my favorite song? No, but it is perfectly crafted.

Wouldn't mind seeing what you can do with Carole King, too! :music:

MattLindahl -- Passionate Kisses -- I loved hearing a man's take on this! Fantastic performance of a great song. And would you believe that while I was making notes watching this group of videos, my pen ran out of ink? It did! Loved the outtakes, as well. You didn't need any gimmicks but I'm a sucker for toddler, dog, and Robot Tractor Week.

DWitt -- Universe & U -- Very well done! I didn't know the song and I really enjoyed it. I was kind of hypnotized by the Ohana, which sounded really beautiful! Beautifully played but also the tone was just lovely.

Playlist is updated to DWitt's video. Keep 'em coming!

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 09:35 AM
wee_ginga_yin -- What a lovely song! Beautifully played and sung, very haunting.

frisbee fred
03-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Not much to say on the TCK rule today. I'm a Fleetwood Mac nut (think Wim and U2) and love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsrBxMBzv3I&feature=youtu.be

RAB11
03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Right then, starting off with the ridiculous.... A cover of Kate Bush's 'Babooshka', complete with a forgotten line, an uncooperative prop and a self-distorting Dolphin.

http://youtu.be/HjOv8SgfPI0

Next up is another cover of Dreams I'm afraid.

decaturcomp
03-17-2014, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqAAYuSjZQg&amp;feature=em-upload_owner

RAB11
03-17-2014, 11:28 AM
https://youtu.be/qhL_GnA4GgA

This is one I've been playing a little while. One of my favourite ever songs, but this cover is loosely based on a cover of it by a band called The Kills. Hope you enjoy it.

Got one more that needs a bit more work.

caukulele
03-17-2014, 11:50 AM
What a wonderful theme this week. There are so many wonderful women writers, who at times get over looked....
Anyway,if I can carve out the time, I think I will try and do a Carole King song. I feel like she, and a lot of other women songwriters helped form me growing up, and were an essential part of my youth. So happy with this theme!

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
What a wonderful theme this week. There are so many wonderful women writers, who at times get over looked....
Anyway,if I can carve out the time, I think I will try and do a Carole King song. I feel like she, and a lot of other women songwriters helped form me growing up, and were an essential part of my youth. So happy with this theme!
I'm so glad you like the theme! I'm looking forward to hearing your take on Carole King (if that's who you decide to go with). I might do a little something myself this week and she's a frontrunner!

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 12:58 PM
frisbee fred -- Dreams -- You really made this your own! Wonderful job with it. If I can make it to your neck of the woods this summer let's play this. I really appreciate your participating while you're on the road. And the three-take rule is strictly for your own protection.

RAB11 -- Babooshka -- Hiya, RAB11! Nice to meet you. Is that your real username, or did you change it last week? Hey, know what I love? Uncooperative props. But I'm glad the bottle didn't break because then I'd be worried (and I've never seen the original video). You did a great job with this! I want to learn this song now.

Yes, Seasonistas, you all read that right.

decaturcomp -- Trapeze -- You sure have a way with a heart-rending story song, dontcha? Beautiful job with this, as always.

RAB11 -- Dreams -- See, this is why duplicate entries are so cool: this version is nothing like Fred's, and certainly nothing like Fleetwood Mac's. I'm so glad you posted it. You're getting a great sound out of that Dolphin. My Dolphin, the notorious Fifi Bonne-Soirče, is very impressed.

Bookworm
03-17-2014, 12:58 PM
I decided to do a second song--Eyes Open by Taylor Swift. It's from the Hunger Games soundtrack, so the death glare kind of matches. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maanX2-E34A

RAB11
03-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks Lily. Name's just a happy coincidence, did allow me to stretch the rules to their very limit last week though.

Thanks for the kind words though! Can't claim any responsibility for the sound coming out of the Dolphin other than having put Aquilas on and maybe being lucky with getting a good one when I bought it? It has served me well, but I'm looking at upgrading soon when i get enough cash. Moving flat and joining a forum where I'm sure to get uke envy (as well as being awestruck by the skills of some of you guys) wasn't the best-timed thing I've ever done.

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Bookworm -- Eyes Open -- And she's back! Yay! You look more comfortable already. You did a great job with this song, and thanks for the book theme. Oh, and don't feel you need to stop at two...

RAB11, watch one of my videos and you will feel much less awestruck. I'm pretty sure the sound you're getting out of your Dolphin is down to the player. At least, that's what Fifi just told me.

Okay, kids, keep doing your thing! I'm going to step away for a bit but I will probably check in again before I call it a night.

lelouden
03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
lelouden -- At Seventeen -- What a beautiful, moving performance of an iconic song! You used a more upbeat accompaniment, I thought, than Ms. Janis did, and I found it very powerful. And your voice is perfect for this. I could go on for days. And I have to say one thing, as a writer: Janis Ian used words so beautifully, and she knew when to say a thing directly. Every time I hear "ugly girls like me" it takes my breath. Is it my favorite song? No, but it is perfectly crafted.

Wouldn't mind seeing what you can do with Carole King, too! :music:

Thank You Lily! That is a very sweet comment and if the universe works with me I will get a Carole King song in this week too:)

ukuLily Mars
03-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Well, you're awfully quiet. Probably everybody is off making videos, except for the people in Europe who should be sound asleep. That should probably include me, so I shall, as my late mother-in-law would say, "get in the nest."

Thank you all for a wonderful day and for posting some awesome videos! Have fun, and try not to trash the place.

TCK
03-17-2014, 04:12 PM
<TCK> So about a month ago, my dad calls and asks if I want to go see Cindy Cashdollar. For those not in the know- she was the steel guitar behind Asleep At The Wheel forever, and more importantly played on what I think is the second best steel track ever done in a studio , Let It Ride by Ryan Adams and the Cardinals (The first is You Ain't Going Nowhere by the Birds...Jaydee Maynis playing steel for the curious).
HECK YEAH I WANNA SEE HER (we won't mention that she is the ONLY woman out there playing this thing)!!!! Who is she playing with?
Sylvia Tyson.
Wait? Brain rolls around and clicks...Ian and Sylvia Sylvia Tyson?
The very same.
She is still alive?
I believe she is- she is on the bill.
And then the brain rolls off into an a capella rendition of Four Strong Winds over the phone, one which dad accompanies me on, and that my wife and mother wish never happened.
SO yeah- I saw Sylvia Tyson. She is legend- one that few remember.
I was HOPING that she was given credit for the song I really wanted to do in a trans-gendered mash-up, but we all know Ian was the powerhouse there. Yes- he wrote it for a muse and that much is obvious...I could bend the rules, but it is so early in the week...I will behave for now. I even had my best Judy Collins at the ready for it, but there will be other weeks. Someday Soon I will get to play that one, and for now I have this. Written by Sylvia Tyson. Take that Ian!</TCK>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDIX7iBPVVE&feature=youtu.be

myrnaukelele
03-17-2014, 05:13 PM
A song by the late great Kate Wolf.

http://youtu.be/-gM4Y_Zd1v8

TCK
03-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Probably should have mentioned that Nina Gerber played the same night as Sylvia- two legends, ten bucks. Turns out she lives here and SHE TORE IT UP on Ukulele for us. So glad Kate made it to the season Myrna!
A song by the late great Kate Wolf.

lelouden
03-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I have just gone through the playlist and can't post any comments on so many great vids. I can't figure out what is happening because I can reply through google but on the youtube page I get a greyed out post button. So for now...Great job everybody:)

lelouden
03-17-2014, 06:00 PM
I have just gone through the playlist and can't post any comments on so many great vids. I can't figure out what is happening because I can reply through google but on the youtube page I get a greyed out post button. So for now...Great job everybody:)
Got to thinking after writing this??? I wonder if youtube is mad at me? Hmmm?
Went and checked to see if I had a third party warning somewhere and...Yup!
Can I just say...Stupid Youtube:wallbash:

bonesigh
03-17-2014, 06:11 PM
St. Patrick's Day is just about over here in Virginia but I'm posting this anyway. Hope you all had a good one! We had about 7" of snow to play in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HefBDN1WvkM&feature=youtu.be

uke4ia
03-17-2014, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTzPyGTK00

This is a song that was co-written and sung by Billie Holiday. I did three full takes, and ended up going with the first one.

uke4ia
03-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Got to thinking after writing this??? I wonder if youtube is mad at me? Hmmm?
Went and checked to see if I had a third party warning somewhere and...Yup!

If it says "Matched Third Party Content", that doesn't mean anything. YouTube isn't mad at you, they're just telling you that they're going to put an ad on the screen and give any proceeds to the copyright holder.

greenie44
03-17-2014, 06:26 PM
I really wasn’t going to do 2 songs this week, but this one has been eating away at me.

I heard this song for the first time about a month ago, and it stopped me dead in my tracks. Bettye Lavette did it a capella for an encore, and it literally sent chills down my spine. When I got home, I looked it up, and found it was written by Sinead O’Connor. I didn’t know much about her, aside from the headline stuff, and never heard her version of this song (or any song), but it really opened my eyes to her talent.

It’s a gospel tune, at least the way Bettye Lavette does it, and that’s what my attempt is. Once again, my version is nowhere near the greatness of the original. But I have to sincerely thank my fellow Seasonistas who have encouraged my past efforts. I am quite certain I would never even have tried this one a year ago. Minimal uke accompaniment, one take. Hope you all like it.

http://youtu.be/KRjVfOurI5w

Jazzbanjorex
03-17-2014, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Praixw6nBo&feature=youtu.be

myrnaukelele
03-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Actually, it's Google that's giving me fits. I happen to have two gmail accounts- one for personal use and one just for YT. It's driving me nuts- whenever I want to use YT they automatically sign me in with my personal account. Every single time I want to go to YT I have to log out and switch accounts. Today I was unable to log into my YT gmail until I joined Google + (which I refuse to do on principle). So I just gave up. My worry is Google will someday force us all to comply (or lose our channels).

Concertina
03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Praixw6nBo&feature=youtu.be

Wow...so so beautiful.

lelouden
03-17-2014, 07:01 PM
If it says "Matched Third Party Content", that doesn't mean anything. YouTube isn't mad at you, they're just telling you that they're going to put an ad on the screen and give any proceeds to the copyright holder.

Thanks uke4ia, I've had them before. I was JK...Sorry Youtube. Ha!
I just didn't want to call myself stupid...teehee
Its just that the warning song I did was quit a while ago and I had to go looking for it. They should of called me...or come to my house...because we all know they know everything about me...including my bra size :)

lelouden
03-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Actually, it's Google that's giving me fits. I happen to have two gmail accounts- one for personal use and one just for YT. It's driving me nuts- whenever I want to use YT they automatically sign me in with my personal account. Every single time I want to go to YT I have to log out and switch accounts. Today I was unable to log into my YT gmail until I joined Google + (which I refuse to do on principle). So I just gave up. My worry is Google will someday force us all to comply (or lose our channels).

I too didn't want them taking control of me but it wasn't worth the frustration so I quickly gave in to the google+ idea. I can't say I regret it. Its just another way for them to advertise to everyone in the world what we are doing. They are like the ultimate gossips. Instead of them telling the world all about us they SHOW the world all about us:)

Jazzbanjorex
03-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Wow...so so beautiful.

Thank you.

thesillydave
03-17-2014, 07:45 PM
howdy everybody! here's my entry #1...a song by ukulele artist sophie madeleine..hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/a2bHPCrKrOU
cheers!

thesillydave
03-17-2014, 08:11 PM
back again! entry #2! another ukulele song, this one by ingrid michaelson...hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/QuF07nBAJ34
ciao mein!

pabrizzer
03-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Look What They've Done to My Song - Melanie Safka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQnLEqnn7DM
Charlie has a cooking oil burn on her face.

mythinformed
03-18-2014, 02:08 AM
Someone Like You ~ Written by Adele and Dan Wilson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZIiXSCmx0c&feature=youtu.be

wee_ginga_yin
03-18-2014, 02:14 AM
Katzenjammer are Norway's answer to Life the Universe and everything.
They are multi-instrumentalists and they play banjo ukulele, guitar, accordion,
drums, xylophone, and a kick ass bass balalaika. See them in Concert here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBQ8RJ-RTQ

I have only done a small slice of their song Cherry Pie
The whole thing is just made for weetigers, and you can get
chords and lyrics at http://www.ukuleleplayalong.nl/#song_id=851
Please somebody do the whole song at a faster pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snvyeAhefEE

redpaul1
03-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Glad I got to this one first!

I said Season 108 in the intro. :-( Though funnily enough my 2nd entry for Season 108 (I feel lucky (http://youtu.be/_d-EC4QXD2Y) - by Mary Chapin Carpenter) would have fitted right into this Season too.

I'm not sure if I've ever previously done this one for a Season but it is one of my faves and one of the first numbers I ever did at an open mic.

Fun fact of the day: As well as opening for the Beatles on their 1964 tour of the USA, Jackie DeShannon used to date Jimmy Page, you know! And, believe it or not, this was originally released as a B-side!!

http://youtu.be/_d-EC4QXD2Y

And I'm not sure if this one is disqualified under the 'No Multi-tracking' rule. As my regular viewers will know, sometimes my computer puts its hands over its ears whenever it sees me approaching with a ukulele in hand, 'cos the sound level on a take comes out really low. It happened again this time, so I extracted the audio from the QT file and put it into Audacity to pump up the volume before putting it back into QT. While I was there, I went a bit overboard with the reverb :/

RAB11
03-18-2014, 06:32 AM
I'd love to see someone with a banjo-uke give 'Don't Get Me Wrong' by the Pretenders a go.

Tootler
03-18-2014, 06:48 AM
I have managed to make a video on my iPad at my daughter's. Making the video was straightforward, but there were loads of glitches getting it uploaded. Anyway, here it is. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) Written by Annie Lennox & Dave Stewart while they were the Eurythmics.

http://youtu.be/yjVbG02EDLg

ukuLily Mars
03-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Hiya, Seasonistas! I dwelt in the gate today (that means I got off to a slow start, for those of you who don't speak horse racing) and I've just finished watching some wonderful videos! The playlist is updated through redpaul but I'm going to break the comments into several posts. Here we go:

TCK -- On My Mind -- Ah, what a way to start the day! With TCK, the TCK rule, and TCK singing and playing. I just loved this, and the story that went with it. Dave, when I come to your house, let's play this one. (Let's not play the one you did yesterday.)

myrnaukulele -- Across the Great Divide -- I didn't think it was possible, but your voice sounds even prettier than ever. This was a lovely performance, and it was the perfect 'uke for it, too.

bonesigh -- The Storyteller, by bonesigh!!! -- And we have our first original song this week! A wonderful song! I married an Irish storyteller and I'm pretty imaginative myself, so I really appreciated this. I wish my father-in-law were alive 'cause he would have loved it. It made me smile, and your performance was lovely as well. (Didn't seem too quiet to me.)

uke4ia -- God Bless the Child -- This was a great song choice for this week, and I thought your version was terrific! Billie Holiday would approve.

ukuLily Mars
03-18-2014, 07:01 AM
greenie44 -- I Do Not Want -- What a great story! I hadn't heard this song before but I would definitely say you got the gospel feel you were aiming for. Very nice job. Glad you went for a second entry, and glad you tried this song!

Jazzbanjorex -- Angel -- A beautiful version of this song, and you really made it your own.

thesillydave -- Take Your Love With Me -- A fun little song! Very nicely played and sung.

thesillydave -- You and I -- Another fun song, and another one I didn't know. I enjoyed this a lot, and loved your performance. I especially enjoyed the snazzy lid.

ukuLily Mars
03-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Oops -- looks like I have to run out for a little while. I'm going to add Tootler's video to the playlist and I will finish up with comments a bit later (I've commented on everything I've seen on YouTube but I'll catch up here). A bientôt!

barefootgypsy
03-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Just waiting for my song to upload, I've had lots of ideas so maybe I'll do more if I can... this one has lyrics by Dorothy Fields - she co-wrote some great songs. This is one I found early on when I had my first uke, I love it and it's time I learned it without having to look at the chord sheet. I used my little cheapie uke and tuned it up to D so I didn't have to growl so much. A one-take effort because I'm about to go out to a uke meeting! :D (Hence being a bit dolled up.)

http://youtu.be/-CT4Bq2gI1k

Shady Wilbury
03-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I've just uploaded my entry (I've been a little naughty, really...four takes here, rather than three.) Couldn't stand to leave it as it was. 'Here in California' by Kate Wolf.

http://youtu.be/Hjv6AuA1IMw

xommen
03-18-2014, 09:07 AM
I think I might have done a version of this before, if so here is another. I have always liked Susan Vega's work and as she wrote most of it herself or with one or two other, most of her work fits this theme. As far as I know she wrote this one herself. This is my take on Luka.

http://youtu.be/btKj8j7Sr_w

UkeyDave
03-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Just waiting for my song to upload, I've had lots of ideas so maybe I'll do more if I can... this one has lyrics by Dorothy Fields - she co-wrote some great songs. This is one I found early on when I had my first uke, I love it and it's time I learned it without having to look at the chord sheet. I used my little cheapie uke and tuned it up to D so I didn't have to growl so much. A one-take effort because I'm about to go out to a uke meeting! :D (Hence being a bit dolled up.)

http://youtu.be/-CT4Bq2gI1k
Oh Lesley I've missed your bright cheery smile and enthusiasm. That was lovely.

RAB11
03-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Right, last one for me. (I think)

It's a cover of 'Shadows' by a band called Warpaint.

http://youtu.be/J_hKIJ51Ovg

Quite like the effect created by playing in front of the window while the sun was setting.

redpaul1
03-18-2014, 10:35 AM
#2 from me. From the debut album by the marvellously talented Louise Distras (www.louisedistras.co.uk/‎): 'Dreams From The Factory Floor (http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/music-and-gigs/album-review-dreams-from-the-factory-floor-by-louise-distras-1-6116870)'

http://youtu.be/aTlDjZ4SScE

Compare & contrast this sorry attempt with the googolplex times better original here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCuqqpug_JM).
Solo live version here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQ4DiFrb9U).

mikef
03-18-2014, 11:14 AM
This is "Coin Operated Boy" by The Dresden Dolls, written by Amanda Palmer. Whether you've a fan of Amanda's more recent uke indulgences or not, The Dresden Dolls were undoubtedly sensational and Amanda proved herself time and time again as both a performer, pianist, singer and song writer of exceptional talent. I saw them at an intimate venue in Manchester a number of years ago and it was one of the most amazing gigs I've ever been to.

http://youtu.be/OiPLfjnrPTE

GinnyT11
03-18-2014, 12:27 PM
This is "Coin Operated Boy" by The Dresden Dolls, written by Amanda Palmer. Whether you've a fan of Amanda's more recent uke indulgences or not, The Dresden Dolls were undoubtedly sensational and Amanda proved herself time and time again as both a performer, pianist, singer and song writer of exceptional talent. I saw them at an intimate venue in Manchester a number of years ago and it was one of the most amazing gigs I've ever been to.

Any Season is improved if you submit a song, Mike. Seriously. You've done several different styles of songs, and they always have solid, stylish performances and smooth, smooth singing. This one is really great.

ukuLily Mars
03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Well, I was away a bit longer than I expected, and I see there have been some fantastic videos posted while I was making dinner and all that! First, I'll catch up on a few comments I didn't get to post before dinner, shall I?

pabrizzer & Charlie -- Look What They've Done to My Song -- I loved this! I'm not objective, because I'm always delighted when Charlie stops by, but I particularly enjoyed this. This was a great song for the two of you to do together, and it fits the theme in a unique way. I hope Charlie's burn gets better quick!

mythinformed -- Someone Like You -- This is another one of those songs I haven't heard done by a man and I enjoyed hearing your interpretation. Very nicely done!

wee_ginga_yin -- A Slice of Cherry Pie -- A fun song! I liked this a lot, and I think it's one of my favorites of your videos. Anyone want to take up WGY's challenge of doing the whole song, or anything else by Katzenjammer?

redpaul1 -- When You Walk in the Room -- Terrific version of the song! And this is in the running for my favorite of your videos, too. It was a lot of fun. Don't worry about multi-tracking; it sounds like this falls more into the category of "technical difficulties."

Tootler -- Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) -- This song could be challenging, because Annie Lenox is such a unique performer and because the song as most of us know it is so "techno." But you really put your own stamp on it and did it in a way that worked for one man and his ukulele. Great job!

ukuLily Mars
03-18-2014, 01:11 PM
barefootgypsy -- (I Can't Give You) Anything But Love -- Yay! I'm so happy to see you! And you're doing one of my favorite songs! You did it beautifully, of course, and it is a wonderful song for you. I mentioned in my YouTube comment that I have a story about this song, and here it is.

Some of you may recall that the last time I hosted (Season 88) I finished writing the novel I had been working on. It's set in New York City in 1933, and features a former con artist and her ex-convict beau. "Their song" is (I Can't Give You) Anything But Love. Okay, that's the whole story. Now that I've typed it up it's kind of a lame story. Never mind.

Shady Wilbury -- Here in California -- I love when someone gets a chance to do a song they're just dying to do! You did a lovely job with this one, and your fondness for the material was obvious. Don't worry about four takes; three takes is just a guideline in this Season. (Last time it was an actual rule, and I enforced it vigorously -- UkeyDave is still locked in a wardrobe somewhere). I hope we'll be getting an original from you this week, but even if we don't this was an excellent entry.

xommen -- Luka -- (Yes, Suzanne Vega did write this.) What a departure for you! I think you did a wonderful job with it. It gave you a chance to use your voice differently, and I thought it was really nice. Well done!

RAB11 -- Shadows -- Really? The last one? Maybe one more. Anyway, I enjoyed this a lot. It's a song I haven't heard before so it was a lot of fun and I think you did a great job. Yes, the backlighting is really cool here! And now you know why I never talk before doing my song. Occasionally I will say the number of the Season, but usually I do it at the end (and sometimes forget entirely).

By the way, if somebody had to do a minor edit to connect an introduction to the song part of the video, I would overlook that. As long as the edit happened before the performance of the song it would be fine.

GinnyT11
03-18-2014, 01:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjMzweQmcKc

One of my biggest problems playing is that I gallop through songs, sometimes picking up speed as I go along—an excellent thing in a racehorse, but in a singer, not so much. I chose this song to MAKE me slow down. I used a strum that I mostly copied from something canoelady did many months ago, which is a good reason to watch other people's videos...what you see can give you ideas to improve your playing.

(This is my Timms soprano, those of you who have been following the several sales threads for them.)

ukuLily Mars
03-18-2014, 02:00 PM
redpaul1 -- Shades of Hate -- Cheery song, Paul! But seriously, you did a very nice job with this. I appreciate your introducing us to Louise Distras as well. I was not familiar with her.

mikef -- Coin Operated Boy -- I don't know if I can say it any better, so I'll start by saying ditto to everything Ginny said a few posts ago. This was a wonderful performance of a terrific song. Beautifully played and sung. Thanks! (By the way, are those your greyhounds on the wall behind you?)

GinnyT11 -- The Way You Look Tonight -- Lovely! Never, ever change! That was indeed a really fun strum! I'm going to try it out. This was a really nice performance, and you seemed like you were having a lot of fun. I enjoyed it a lot (watched it twice). This is a special song for me. We played it at our wedding reception when my husband danced with my mom and I danced with my stepfather. Right now my stepfather is extremely ill, but he's a pretty special guy, and life has always been about enjoying the times we've had together. Thanks for doing this song and for doing it so beautifully.

Concertina
03-18-2014, 02:09 PM

http://youtu.be/OiPLfjnrPTE

LOVE IT! This is my favorite song by the DD. Would you be willing to share the chords/tab you used??

ukuLily Mars
03-18-2014, 02:56 PM
What a great day! Thank you all for posting such wonderful videos.

I'm going to call it a night. Feel free to chat and play and sing. Have a glass of wine or a cup of tea. Invite your friends over. Try not to trash the place (TCK, I'm talking to YOU.) Have fun!

bonesigh
03-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Here's another version of "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan. She didn't write the song for the movie "City of Angels" but it works. I love the whole soundtrack from that movie! What a great movie (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvV0FhSi2KQ&feature=youtu.be

myrnaukelele
03-18-2014, 05:13 PM
That Johnny sure gets around. This is Snowplow Johnny by Melissa Carper.

http://youtu.be/Zi1wim1EyWg

TCK
03-18-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm going to call it a night. Feel free to chat and play and sing. Have a glass of wine or a cup of tea. Invite your friends over. Try not to trash the place (TCK, I'm talking to YOU.) Have fun!
When you get up, you find me here and less than clothed, trashing the place.
Actually, I was supposed to be in the shower because I was painting and got some on my self...but I got distracted.
Gillian Welch- Time the Revelator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBcaDst5M5Y&feature=youtu.be

Dougf
03-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Ann Ronell wrote Willow Weep For Me in 1932 when songwriting was still very much a male dominated profession. She took her composition to Irving Berlin’s publishing company, but Berlin’s associate, Saul Bornstein, rejected it. However, when Berlin himself heard the piece, he realized its potential, and immediately published it and helped get it on the radio. By the 1950s, it was firmly established as a jazz standard.

I’ve used a slight modification of the words that I picked up from Nina Simone’s version. I’m also featuring my #11. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpIdUAwbNvk

thesillydave
03-18-2014, 07:47 PM
howdy all! lovely entries so far! here's my 3rd...the only exception, by paramore..

http://youtu.be/ReU6q5uCfBI
cheers!

decaturcomp
03-18-2014, 07:59 PM
<tck>Freeda posted this poem she wrote on Facebook tonight and I asked if I could try putting a melody to it.
She said yes and I was already recording by the time I realized It could work here.
I didn't say the season because I was just 'having fun' like the season title says. </tck>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5PXEFSbcrE

03-18-2014, 10:52 PM
.................and breathe ............:D
I CAN'T, I'M TOO BUSY HYPERVENTILATING!

**cough** Go-Gos **cough**
lol!

is it just me? have we got so many more people? is it the weather? but i cannot keep up with the thread! like mark, i blinked and it was page 4. i'm trying, but failing, to keep up with everyone's vids :eek: which is great because it means everyone is having a big old video-posting party BUT I HATE TO MISS ANYTHING!

anyone else in the same boat?

redpaul1
03-18-2014, 11:03 PM
redpaul1 -- Shades of Hate -- Cheery song, Paul! But seriously, you did a very nice job with this. I appreciate your introducing us to Louise Distras as well. I was not familiar with her.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have waited a day. Today's Louise's birthday. But then again, maybe not :)

mikef
03-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Any Season is improved if you submit a song, Mike. Seriously.
Ginny you're too kind and I love you for it :)

By the way, are those your greyhounds on the wall behind you?
Yes indeed! That's my best buddy Laddie who we sadly lost nearly 3 years ago. He was a wonderful dog and we miss him dearly. We are planning to re-home another greyhound in the Summer which is exciting.

LOVE IT! This is my favorite song by the DD. Would you be willing to share the chords/tab you used??
Sure... let me see now....
I'm basically just alternately plucking the C & E strings to make the bass line and strumming the C, E and A strings for each chord in between to make up the rhythm.... note | strum | note | strum... The G string doesn't get a look in until the bridge.

The chords are C | G | Dm | G | C ("coin operated boy...") and then just Dm | G ("made of plastic...").

Then the bridge is a syncopated triplet rhythm... Em | Am | F | G ("this bridge was written")... and the end of this is D | F before you go back into the "coin operated" bit.

I hope that makes some sort of sense :)

Rustyy
03-19-2014, 12:28 AM
No TCK rule here, just a song by Nanci Griffiths that I have liked for some years.

http://youtu.be/FohRzjE5JWs

pabrizzer
03-19-2014, 01:58 AM
Another Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson song.
Wreck and Ruin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enH4jYfVlWo
Again the original is being done a big injustice here and should be checked out because it is a beauty IMHO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsAnhdZht3c
They are a husband and wife duo and their last 2 albums have been crackers Rattlin' Bones and Wreck and Ruin.
The Quiet Life is a beaut song and worth a look. I'll be doing it later in the week if someone doesn't snatch it up.

Oh, The Fez?
It arrived from Turkey today so had to be worn.

redpaul1
03-19-2014, 01:58 AM
So, anyone want to take this one on? Doug? Dave?

http://youtu.be/FF0VaBxb27w

wee_ginga_yin
03-19-2014, 02:14 AM
wee_ginga_yin -- A Slice of Cherry Pie -- A fun song! I liked this a lot, and I think it's one of my favorites of your videos. Anyone want to take up WGY's challenge of doing the whole song, or anything else by Katzenjammer?

Since TCK has already done the Alphabutt song I think he could attempt to do their song To the sea (chords here (http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/k/katzenjammer/to_the_sea_crd.htm))
and if not the musical performance itself then at least the hand movements. Katzenjammer are a great
live band and always involve their audiences in their performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boF7rJCwFdw

RAB11
03-19-2014, 02:30 AM
So, anyone want to take this one on? Doug? Dave?

http://youtu.be/FF0VaBxb27w

That's actually in a songbook I've got.

As I've already given one Kate Bush song a go I might take a look tonight. Won't be pretty though.

redpaul1
03-19-2014, 02:43 AM
That's actually in a songbook I've got.

As I've already given one Kate Bush song a go I might take a look tonight. Won't be pretty though.

Go for it! Just be aware: if it ain't got that swing... :)

Concertina
03-19-2014, 03:08 AM
Ginny you're too kind and I love you for it :)

Yes indeed! That's my best buddy Laddie who we sadly lost nearly 3 years ago. He was a wonderful dog and we miss him dearly. We are planning to re-home another greyhound in the Summer which is exciting.

Sure... let me see now....
I'm basically just alternately plucking the C & E strings to make the bass line and strumming the C, E and A strings for each chord in between to make up the rhythm.... note | strum | note | strum... The G string doesn't get a look in until the bridge.

The chords are C | G | Dm | G | C ("coin operated boy...") and then just Dm | G ("made of plastic...").

Then the bridge is a syncopated triplet rhythm... Em | Am | F | G ("this bridge was written")... and the end of this is D | F before you go back into the "coin operated" bit.

I hope that makes some sort of sense :)

Awesome! I'm sure I can figure it out from there! Thank you!

cua94
03-19-2014, 05:46 AM
My entry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSSWBYpRFw

cua94

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 06:00 AM
Hi Seasonistas! You've all been busy! I'm updating the playlist and thought I would share a few comments as I go along.

bonesigh -- Angel -- See, this is another example of duplicate entries being good things. Completely different from Rex's version but also wonderful. Janet, you played and sang this so beautifully! So glad you chose this song, even if there were no puppets.

myrnaukulele -- Snowplow Johnny -- What a great song! I'm kinda sorry you didn't get to do this for Johnny Week, but I'm also kinda not sorry because I'm thrilled you did it here. Lovelovelove the banjo uke, the snowplow set, and your overall myrnaness.

TCK -- Time the Revelator -- The man goes to take a shower but gets distracted and has to make a ukulele video. Dude, you're the cat's. Will you be my brother? I was kind of expecting something more raucous after that lead-in. A really nice song and you did it beautifully.

Dougf -- Willow Weep for Me -- A great song choice for this Season, and a perfect song for you! Very nicely played and sung. Number Eleven sounds gorgeous! I'm devastated I wasn't able to get a video in last week. I'm sure I would have won. :eek:

Off to watch a few more! Back soon!

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 06:22 AM

lol!

is it just me? have we got so many more people? is it the weather? but i cannot keep up with the thread! like mark, i blinked and it was page 4. i'm trying, but failing, to keep up with everyone's vids :eek: which is great because it means everyone is having a big old video-posting party BUT I HATE TO MISS ANYTHING!

I thought you had been quiet. I didn't realize it was because you were hyperventilating. Quick, somebody bring BEVOMU a paper bag!

It's definitely a lively week! Now get back to work. We need more videos from YOU!!!

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 06:28 AM
I know the feeling; we lost our collie about a year and a half ago and still miss him like crazy and we can't get another pet right now. Are you going to adopt an ex-racer? I love those dogs. I've known a few and they're sweet as can be. Let me know when you do, and post pictures!

Okay, that had nothing to do with this or any other Season. Is it possible to hijack my own thread?

mikef
03-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Are you going to adopt an ex-racer?
We certainly are... we support this greyhound re-homing kennels (http://wkretiredgreyhounds.blogspot.co.uk/) (where Laddie came from).

If we re-home a girl this time it will fit with the Season... sort of... plus our new hound will no doubt feature in many a video... so it's all on topic ;)

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 07:02 AM
thesillydave -- The Only Exception -- You're bringing lots of songs that are new to me this week, and they're such great songs! I loved this one, and your performance was, as always, loads of fun.

decaturcomp -- If Today Was Gold, by Freeda and Alan -- This made me so happy! I loved the song and you did a great job with it, but mostly I just love the way it came about! For anyone who missed Alan's post in which he explained it, the awesome Freeda (UU member) wrote a poem and Alan asked if he could write music to go with it and she agreed, and so together they created this. Thank you both. (It's fine you didn't mention the Season. It's unlikely I would have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.)

Rustyy -- Love at the Five and Dime -- Nanci Griffiths made it to the party! You did a wonderful job with this lovely song!

pabrizzer -- Wreck and Ruin -- This is a great song! I listened to the original and I think I like your version as much, maybe even better (although the original is excellent). It suits your voice so well and I like it as a solo. And look! It's a snazzy fez!

cua94 -- Falling Slowly -- You've done a beautiful job with a lovely (and challenging) song! I loved the strong ending. Very nice!

Thank you all for showing up and singing out! The playlist is updated to cua94's video. Please let me know if I've missed anyone.

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 07:09 AM
We certainly are... we support this greyhound re-homing kennels (http://wkretiredgreyhounds.blogspot.co.uk/) (where Laddie came from).

If we re-home a girl this time it will fit with the Season... sort of... plus our new hound will no doubt feature in many a video... so it's all on topic ;)
Ha! Good point! Actually, one could argue that the hound is the product of the collaboration of one male and one female greyhound. I did say "woman" in the rules, not "female," but that was obviously very shortsighted of me.

Thanks for the link. Wonderful rescue group.

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Now I have the urge to knit snoods for greyhounds.

Tootler
03-19-2014, 07:30 AM

lol!

With spending two days on the road between Middlesbrough & London and two days in between at my daughter's in London, keeping up is pretty much impossible. I try to make sure I reply to comments on my videos and listen to & comment on a selection of videos, but it's usually the weekend before I get round to it.

I have my iPad with me but typing things on the iPad takes forever and you can't reply directly to individual comments on You Tube from the iPad. The iPad is a great bit of kit, but it has its limitations.

KnowsPickin
03-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Since TCK has already done the Alphabutt song I think he could attempt to do their song To the sea (chords here (http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/k/katzenjammer/to_the_sea_crd.htm))
and if not the musical performance itself then at least the hand movements. Katzenjammer are a great
live band and always involve their audiences in their performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boF7rJCwFdw

I'm impressed. I also play bass. This is the first band I've seen video of playing a bass balalaika. Cool.

UkeyDave
03-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Well I'm still a bit nasally but then I'm nasally anyway without a cold. This is one third written by a woman so I hope it counts. I think it does but am really too lazy to go back and check so apologies Lily if its a scrapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okCccsES8uM

barefootgypsy
03-19-2014, 08:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjMzweQmcKc

One of my biggest problems playing is that I gallop through songs, sometimes picking up speed as I go along—an excellent thing in a racehorse, but in a singer, not so much. I chose this song to MAKE me slow down. I used a strum that I mostly copied from something canoelady did many months ago, which is a good reason to watch other people's videos...what you see can give you ideas to improve your playing.

(This is my Timms soprano, those of you who have been following the several sales threads for them.)
Oh Ginny, that is one of my very, very favourite songs! I loved that, and you sang and played it so nicely! I have to do it, being an all-time fave, I hope you won't mind.... and please take a look at my blog here (http://lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/peter-moss-plays-two-of-my-all-time.html)for a special little story and a fabulous rendition.... :D

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Oh Ginny, that is one of my very, very favourite songs! I loved that, and you sang and played it so nicely! I have to do it, being an all-time fave, I hope you won't mind.... and please take a look at my blog here (http://lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/peter-moss-plays-two-of-my-all-time.html)for a special little story and a fabulous rendition.... :D
I, for one, would love that. Maybe I'll do my version as well.

By the way, everybody, barefootgypsy has a very nice blog. If you have a few minutes take a look. Link is in her signature.

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 09:08 AM
UkeyDave -- Killing Me Softly -- What a great version of this song! Really nice arrangement, and of course you've got that UkeyDave strum (or perhaps a variation thereof) going on. I particularly enjoyed the big finish!

Yes, one out of three is fine. One out of four is not.

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Time for dinner, and maybe some editing. Back soon!

barefootgypsy
03-19-2014, 10:38 AM
This season is so irresistible, Lily, I had to do this Carly Simon. I really enjoyed playing and singing it.... a real blast from my past, this was so popular way back when....

http://youtu.be/Hhsgkv1vuBg

ChrisDeston821
03-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Girlfriend suggested this song and wanted to join in (but decided after the first take she Wouldnt be singing) aha. My entry:
Pregnant Women are Smug by Garfunkel and Oates, written by the ladies themselves Riki Lindhome (Garfunkel) and Kate Micucci (Oates).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiqUb09uHzk

Dedicated to my team at work who're currently suffering since our leader is now 7 weeks pregnant :D

ChrisDeston821
03-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Second entry, my preferred entry in fact :) Did it as we waited for the first to finish process after my post.
Jess also reconsidered and thought singing would be a good idea but on a different song (by the same band)
So here's Garfunkel and Oates' I Like You. Same lyricists, lots more fun, expect a blooper shortly after :D

http://youtu.be/f9PYMs-7dxE

EDIT:
Link to the bloopers of this video :)
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93277-Seasonistas-Blooper-Reel!-Post-em-here-folks!-)&p=1495466#post1495466

uke4ia
03-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Now I have the urge to knit snoods for greyhounds.

Now I have the urge to start an indie band called Greyhound Snoods. :D

ukuleledaddy
03-19-2014, 11:38 AM

This is right up my alley, so to speak. My new favorite song right here. We have to get together again so we can play this along with Johnny Poo Poo Pants. We'll have all the ten year olds in Cloverdale in stitches! Cheers Dave.

Rustyy
03-19-2014, 11:56 AM
I wondered if someone else might do this one, but, as it hasn't come out yet, I thought I would give it a go. It is a song by our own Shady Wilbury. Pa has done a superior version to mine over on the Island, but this seemed like the perfect chance to air it in the Seasons.
Hope you don't mind Casey, and thanks for a great song

http://youtu.be/871XbQbs6T8

UkeyDave
03-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Girlfriend suggested this song and wanted to join in (but decided after the first take she Wouldnt be singing) aha. My entry:
Pregnant Women are Smug by Garfunkel and Oates, written by the ladies themselves Riki Lindhome (Garfunkel) and Kate Micucci (Oates).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiqUb09uHzk

Dedicated to my team at work who're currently suffering since our leader is now 7 weeks pregnant :D

FANTASTIC. Thats all.

xommen
03-19-2014, 11:58 AM
This theme brings me to some nice songs that I would normally not do since they are not by U2 ;).
I found the original of this song via noisetrade, I really love that whole record. You can get it ("the best of (sofar)") for whatever you want to pay including Free. This song Vertigo was written by Antje Duvekot and Mark Erelli.
Here is a great live version done solo by Antje Duvekot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Odsyl19oM.
So here it is Antje Duvekot - Vertigo.

http://youtu.be/wUcyPtVj4Fo

Concertina
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Ok...second entry...Lisa Loeb. Not a lot of creative ukulele playing here...and a few voice cracks. Dunno what's up with me today lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Uss9AMOkg&feature=youtu.be

I actually have a blooper for this one...because my cat, Solomon, wanted to sing with me.

The Ukelites
03-19-2014, 12:58 PM
After a few busy weeks we're happy to have recorded an entry again! This song was written and performed by PJ Harvey in 2000. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtbqXf3T9Ws&list=UUlUgkwnbekbhhm-R_qdtFEw

Concertina
03-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Aaaaaaaand I just realized that I put Season 108 in the title...yay me!

xommen
03-19-2014, 01:11 PM
This song has been covered by U2 and was written by Peggy Seeger and Ewan Maccoll.
This is Peggy Seeger/Ewan Maccoll - Springhill Mine Disaster

http://youtu.be/IDXKmH1NE8g
I saved some bloopers for you guys which you can see here (some of the thing I'm saying there are in Dutch ;-)) :
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93277-Seasonistas-Blooper-Reel!-Post-em-here-folks!-)/page5

we tigers
03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
For some unknown reason, very few women artist live in our CD collection. So this week's challenge initially seemed pretty hard for us. Than we remembered this song by the Italian singer/composer Nora Orlandi. She is one of the very few women who wrote soundtracks for the Italian movie industry in the Sixties and Seventies, and she ranks among the greats along with more familiar names like Ennio Morricone and Armando Trovailloli, which we think is pretty cool. Quentin Tarantino used one of her songs on the Kill Bill 2 soundtrack, btw.
The first time we heard this A Doppia Faccia, we were floored. It is about a betrayed woman who confronts her lover, and the original conveys all these emotions of anger, sadness and determination to cut herself loose from the other. Orlandi's voice is hauntingly beautiful, too.
Oh yeah, it's in Italian...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGj0epz-RjM&feature=youtu.be

GinnyT11
03-19-2014, 01:24 PM
So this week's challenge initially seemed pretty hard for us. Than we remembered this song by the Italian singer/composer Nora Orlandi. She is one of the very few women who wrote soundtracks for the Italian movie industry in the Sixties and Seventies.
The first time we heard this A Doppia Faccia, we were floored. It is about a betrayed woman who confronts her lover, and the original conveys all these emotions of anger, sadness and determination to cut herself loose from the other. Orlandi's voice is hauntingly beautiful, too.
Oh yeah, it's in Italian...

Oh, that's just FINE, you two! You don't want anyone else to have a chance at the sunglasses prize, do you? Well, it's not fair, I tell you, absolutely not fair that you have taken your talent and commitment and musical knowledge to a level that just amazes us ordinary, functional players. Sigh. Another one in the favorites list.
Saskia, I think you should try out for a performance of Tosca.

southside mike
03-19-2014, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJsUpYeVIRU
By Carole King and Gerry Goffin

GinnyT11
03-19-2014, 02:54 PM

The Greyhound Snoods rock, Jim! They opened for the Clydesdale Bannisters in their 1987 tour!

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm here and I'm going to organize the playlist and make my YouTube comments, then I'll be back here with still more comments.

Oh, please do this. PLEASE.

(If anyone is wondering, if you click on the link in Mike's post you can see a picture of a greyhound in a snood. You're welcome.)

Aaaaaaaand I just realized that I put Season 108 in the title...yay me!
I'll make a point of not noticing that when I watch the video!

Back soon!

03-19-2014, 04:10 PM
ok

this one sounds much better, and indeed is much easier to sing, driving along in the car with the windows down and the stereo up and stevie doing 99.9 percent of the work

of course i don't recommend playing along on uke when driving

you might damage the uke

edge of seventeen/just like the white winged dove by :bowdown: stevie nicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtMEscd_dg

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
barefootgypsy -- You're So Vain -- This was wonderful! A very strong, confident performance, a little attitude, and some really nice 'uke-playing. Funny story: Carly lives (or used to live, I don't know if she's still there but she probably is 'cause it's a great building) around the corner from my now-husband's apartment when he lived in Manhattan. I left his place one day and passed Carly, heading home and carrying her (enormous) guitar case. Unless it was a really, really enormous ukulele.

ChrisDeston821 -- Pregnant Women Are Smug and I Like You -- I hope you don't mind me grouping these together, but they kind of fit and they're by the same songwriters. Anyway, both of these videos cracked me up! They are very funny songs, but the two of you are so much fun to watch and that's what makes them special. Your playing and singing are excellent as well.

Rustyy -- View From the Mountain, by Casey (Shady Wilbury) -- So great hearing you do one of Casey's songs, and you chose a terrific one! You did a great job with it. Really nice.

xommen -- Vertigo -- This is a lovely song, and I was really impressed by your performance! It's one of my favorites of your videos I've seen. I think I said the same thing after the last one, too, but these two (Luka and Vertigo) have really brought you to a new level, in my opinion.

Playlist is updated through xommen's Vertigo video.

decaturcomp
03-19-2014, 05:06 PM
<tck>Well...this certainly Isn't a Linda Thompson song (and if I tell you that, I'm a liar) although she recorded it. Belle Stewart had a recording of it in 1965 on "The Stewarts of Blair" under the title "Mickey's Warning". I don't actually know who wrote it or what that person's gender might have been (help? Geoff?). However, it seems to be a woman's song and is normally sung by a female and most often a capella from what I can tell. So, I may be senslessly wasting your time here, but I think it's a corker. </tck>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iy_HduEV1g

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 05:06 PM
concertina -- Stay -- Lovely performance! What a wonderful voice you have! I have to admit I was a little disappointed I didn't hear Simon. Did you make a separate video for the outtakes? You should know I'm a sucker for pets in videos.

The Ukelites -- You Said Something -- Great song, and you two were brilliant as always! I enjoyed this a lot and I'm thrilled you were able to post this week.

xommen -- Springhill Mine Disaster -- Very nice job with this, Wim. By the way, I happened to notice that sometimes, as in this song, you sing with a little bit of an Irish brogue. I wonder why that is...

we tigers -- A Doppia Faccia -- I knew this would be wonderful when I read your post because I know you both love Italy, but wow! Just gorgeous! Everything was perfect, especially Saskia's attitude. ;)

Concertina
03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
concertina -- Stay -- Lovely performance! What a wonderful voice you have! I have to admit I was a little disappointed I didn't hear Simon. Did you make a separate video for the outtakes? You should know I'm a sucker for pets in videos.

I did! I put it in the bloopers thread! You can't see him...just hear his loud mouth. But we moved his sleeping spot right in view of my camera so he might make an appearance next season!

decaturcomp
03-19-2014, 05:21 PM
This is right up my alley, so to speak. My new favorite song right here. We have to get together again so we can play this along with Johnny Poo Poo Pants. We'll have all the ten year olds in Cloverdale in stitches! Cheers Dave.

I don't suppose that it's possible that you're underestimating ten-year-olds, are you? In my experience it's old farts like me and thee(what's the fookin' plural of thee? in the South it's Thee'all, butt...).

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
I did! I put it in the bloopers thread! You can't see him...just hear his loud mouth. But we moved his sleeping spot right in view of my camera so he might make an appearance next season!
Or maybe later in this Season... maybe... :music:

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 05:46 PM
southside mike -- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? -- It's fun to hear a man's take on this! I really enjoyed your version. Very well played and sung.

bird's eye view of my uke -- Edge of Seventeen -- How awesome was this? I'll tell you. It was very awesome. Ooh baby ooh! Say ooh! No, seriously, say it! Ooh! Okay, I'll calm down. This is, to put it mildly, not an easy song to perform as one woman with one uke. I think you describe the ideal scenario in your post. That being said, you did a fantastic job, with all the fun of the original. I could understand the lyrics, but other than that it was perfect. :rock:

decaturcomp -- Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk -- A great song, and I loved your interpretation of it. According to Linda Thompson's website, it is considered "traditional," which doesn't fit the rules, but I'm putting it in the playlist anyway, because Linda added some lyrics to it. For future reference, if a song is unattributed, it does not count.

ukuLily Mars
03-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Yikes! Will you look at the time? I've got to get in the nest.

Okay, you're on your own for a few hours. Somebody keep an eye on ukuleledaddy and TCK.

Have fun, and try not to trash the place.

librainian
03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
I love, love love Little Miss Higgins. She's a Canadian blues and R&B artist you may or may not have heard of. If not, you will!

Anyway this is a quickie take of a song I just love. Based on the recording and the YouTube video from the Bison Ranch Recordings Album. She plays baritone uke for this song and has played it on others as well. Here is my cover of Early Morning Thief

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOXFkilv_6M) on YouTube is the actual take on the album which is cool in itself. The Winnipeg Five are doing all the backup harmony vocals which sound amazing. I love the crackling fire in the background. So intimate. I was hoping to do this with the harmonies but no multi-track this week so you are stuck with me and my uke. I broke a string on my new Pono today so I am back with my Goodwill special Cameo baritone for this ditty.

http://youtu.be/WboemhPe3TE

TCK
03-19-2014, 06:06 PM
<TCK>Shit...did I just learn a song I thought was written by a female only to find it was written by a male? Dammit...A New England Kristy MacColl (Billy Bragg) over to the island. </TCK>

decaturcomp
03-19-2014, 06:06 PM
<tck>Since Fred and BEV started the Stevie thing (very nicely) I'll put this one in. I had the Buckingham Nicks record before the two big FM records hit and still prefer the songs on that disk.</tck>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sueUocLMzAE

lelouden
03-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Thank You Lily! That is a very sweet comment and if the universe works with me I will get a Carole King song in this week too:)

Lily, The universe is not working with me this week. My father in law has been losing his battle with leukemia and passed away this morning. I will be busy taking care of business for the rest of the week. I was really wanting to do some Carole King because she deserves the recognition. Did you know she is the most successful female songwriter of 1955–99 because she wrote or co-wrote 118 pop hits on the Billboard Hot 100. Some one else please do her songs. I will be back to watch all the entries later next week and hope to see her here:)

librainian
03-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Lily, The universe is not working with me this week. My father in law has been losing his battle with leukemia and passed away this morning. I will be busy taking care of business for the rest of the week. I was really wanting to do some Carole King because she deserves the recognition. Did you know she is the most successful female songwriter of 1955–99 because she wrote or co-wrote 118 pop hits on the Billboard Hot 100. Some one else please do her songs. I will be back to watch all the entries later next week and hope to see her here:)

Very sorry hear we are losing another of our extended family. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you. In the meantime I am off to figure out some Carol King!

Milliron
03-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Heck I know I am probably posting this wrong but I just want to get it done. This is the song "Jolene"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI2jbCz8UYo by Dolly Parton. The last time I looked no one had done one of her songs. She is one of the most prolific writers of modern day. No one sings a song or tells a story like Dolly:) I love her. Maybe its appropriate that the camera is shooting down my shirt;) I would have re-shot but I was told that this was to be raw and within three takes. I did it!!! I wish I would have looked up, sang softer, not sang a few notes out of tune and on and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI2jbCz8UYo

decaturcomp
03-19-2014, 07:36 PM
<tck>I'll hush up my mug after this. Is it bad that someone mentions an artist I love and I can't hold back?</tck>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4o8VMaKh3w

03-19-2014, 08:06 PM
<tck>I'll hush up my mug after this. </tck>
well i sincerely hope you WON'T

lelouden
03-19-2014, 08:36 PM
<tck>I'll hush up my mug after this. Is it bad that someone mentions an artist I love and I can't hold back?</tck>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4o8VMaKh3w

well i sincerely hope you WON'T

Me either :) Big hugs for you guys jumping on board for me. Truly the best people in the universe!

lelouden
03-19-2014, 08:45 PM
The last time I looked no one had done one of her songs. She is one of the most prolific writers of modern day. No one sings a song or tells a story like Dolly:) I love her. Maybe its appropriate that the camera is shooting down my shirt;) I would have re-shot but I was told that this was to be raw and within three takes. I did it!!! I wish I would have looked up, sang softer, not sang a few notes out of tune and on and on.

Im so glad you did Dolly in more than one way:) I was going to post " I will always love you" later this week. I think its her most brilliant song. I had no idea she wrote it for Porter Wagoner because she wanted to leave the partnership and they kept fighting about it. She went home upset after an argument with him and decided to do what she does best and write him a song telling him her feelings about it. I've always thought it was the most beautiful love song out there.

And Im always right...So it is!

Someone please do this one too!

myrnaukelele
03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
This is the song "Jolene" by Dolly Parton. The last time I looked no one had done one of her songs. She is one of the most prolific writers of modern day. No one sings a song or tells a story like Dolly:) I love her.
I love her too!! She's a wonderful songwriter. I decided if no one had posted a Dolly song by Sunday I'd sit down and learn one. Thanks so much for this - you have a beautiful voice.

myrnaukelele
03-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Im so glad you did Dolly in more than one way:) I was going to post " I will always love you" later this week. I think its her most brilliant song. I had no idea she wrote it for Porter Wagoner because she wanted to leave the partnership and they kept fighting about it. She went home upset after an argument with him and decided to do what she does best and write him a song telling him her feelings about it. I've always thought it was the most beautiful love song out there.

And Im always right...So it is!

Someone please do this one too!
You're right! It IS one of the most beautiful love songs ever written. It was one of the first songs I thought of learning this week. But I've headed off on a different track and probably won't have time to do it...I'm struggling with a different song at the moment.
SO many songs.....So little time!!

ukuleledaddy
03-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Linda, my deepest sympathy to you and your family. I lost my father in law two weeks ago. It is hard. My kids are on spring break and I have very little time, but like Andrew, I hope to bring some Carole King penned tunes for you this week.

lelouden
03-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Linda, my deepest sympathy to you and your family. I lost my father in law two weeks ago. It is hard. My kids are on spring break and I have very little time, but like Andrew, I hope to bring some Carole King penned tunes for you this week.

Thank You so much Sean for wanting to do her. She is wonderful and so is my seasonista family:)

Milliron
03-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Thank you Myrna! I'm glad someone else was thinking about doing one of Dolly's songs. She has a ton of them.

Milliron
03-19-2014, 09:44 PM
I love her too!! She's a wonderful songwriter. I decided if no one had posted a Dolly song by Sunday I'd sit down and learn one. Thanks so much for this - you have a beautiful voice.
It drives me crazy when I push reply and the reply goes to the top of the page rather than right under what I am replying too:)

pabrizzer
03-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Because Linda wants some Carol King here is my take on Smackwater Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txA1fr23Img
It is on my guitalele - but if banjo ukes are OK - I hope the guitalele is too.

Milliron
03-19-2014, 11:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txA1fr23Img
It is on my guitalele - but if banjo ukes are OK - why does the guitalele get shunned (by some)?
Very thoughtful of you to sing this in support of my sisters family. I love the song, I know every word:). I am just impressed with any musical instrument. Fantastic rendition! Now I need to close my eyes and try to sleep. It is 1:15 AM here in Arizona. Insomnia-ARGHHHHH!!!!

lelouden
03-19-2014, 11:55 PM
It is on my guitalele - but if banjo ukes are OK - I hope the guitalele is too.
2am and still up! Thank you Pa for this CK song. Smackwater Jack is a really fun song and the guitalele is perfect. You could have played the mouth harp and I would have been just as happy. I really appreciate your kind gesture along with the others that have decided to do Carole King in my behalf. Thanks to all the thoughtful gestures and PM's from this wonderful group of friends. The love just keeps rolling in:)

WKerrigan
03-20-2014, 02:27 AM
When I first read the theme for this week my first thought was Carole King. King is in my opinion the Queen of Writers.

Greenie, Ill give you Aretha for the vocalist of all time but without writers like King, Aretha would have nothing to sing:)

But, even though my thoughts went straight to Carole Kings "Tapistry" which held the record for most weeks at #1 by a female artist for more than 20 years and she wrote every song on that album I made the decision to get my name in the hat for Janis Ian.

Janis wrote the song "Seventeen" at the age of 22 in 1973 at her mother's house over the course of three months. The song is a commentary on adolescent cruelty, the illusion of popularity, and teenage angst, as reflected upon from the maturity of adulthood. It is told from the point of view of a woman who was an "ugly duckling" as a girl and ignored in high school while the popular girls got all of the attention. Ian says that the song was inspired by a newspaper article about a former teenage debutante who learned the hard way that being popular did not solve all her problems. She also says she initially did not want to record or perform the song because she felt it was far too personal to share, but eventually changed her mind after adding the song's final verse ("To those of us who knew the pain/Of Valentines that never came..."). On Valentine's Day 1977, Ian received 461 Valentine cards, having indicated in the lyrics to "At Seventeen" that she never received any as a teenager. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCTMcbQ1QE) is a recording of Janis talking about the success of the song and what it has meant to her to have it sing out to the world.

As I was seventeen in 1976/77. I too among millions or googolplexians of girls heard, related and fell in love with the song:)

At midnight and in my PJ's Last night I finally snuck some time to record in my kitchen where I have the best natural reverb besides my bathroom:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mL-TCC23yY&feature=youtu.be

Oh this is just awesome!

WKerrigan
03-20-2014, 02:34 AM
Hey there. I don't get out much these days, this video will help to explain that... My first thoughts were of Dar Williams - if you don't know her, you oughta. I still love her music, but when I discovered her at 19, I loved her writing, the honesty of it. Quick on her heels was this woman, Lucinda Williams, I chose a fairly popular song of hers, but the catalog is deeeeep..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUUebFicq8&feature=youtu.be

I love this!

Barbablanca
03-20-2014, 03:53 AM
This week I have managed a dream collaboration with BEVOMU :drool:

This is an original song I wrote with a beautiful, lively, lass who gave me a brief few days of her time back in 1986... I would have given her years of my life, I reckon, but she didn't think we were on the same wavelength, judging by this song we wrote together by improvising lines at each other, until we had the basic structure then editing out the lines that didn't work and leaving the core that is still in the lyrics.

I asked Lynda if she fancied having a go at this, because I could really hear her insistent upstroke strum as the backing to this and I could easily imagine that it would fit her voice perfectly. Luckily, she readily agreed!!! So, after a few key changes, we finally settled on one that works for both of us and here is: "Don't Talk to Me!"

http://youtu.be/oEvEvEmR5h8

As usual, the lyrics are in ther Youtube description section.

PS When I watched this the image occasionally juddered something terrible. Is that only happening at my end?

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 04:17 AM
Linda, I'm so sorry for your family's loss, and I'll speak for everyone and say our thoughts are with you. Take care of yourself, and your family, and we'll make sure the Carole King songbook is represented. I think librainian and Alan are already on it.

RAB11
03-20-2014, 04:20 AM

Really enjoyed that, great job guys!

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 04:31 AM
No. No, it is not. Whatcha hushing up your mug for? Nobody asked for that!

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 05:04 AM
Wow! That's all. Comments on most recent videos:

librainian -- Early Morning Thief -- So much fun! You did a fantastic job with this song, and your Cameo sounded great. I love the song!

decaturcomp -- Landslide -- What a beautiful version of this song! I agree, Stevie doesn't get enough credit as a songwriter, and I think this is one of her best. (We have to give Fred credit, though, for being the first to bring Stevie this week.)

Milliron -- Jolene -- And Dolly is finally here! Yay! You played and sang it beautifully. This song is, I think, deceptively challenging to sing, and you did a great job with it. (My favorite Dolly line, when someone asked if she minded when people thought she was a dumb blonde: "Of course not, 'cause I know I'm not dumb. I also know I'm not blonde.") Thanks for bringing Dolly to the party! The Season would not have been complete without her.

decaturcomp -- You've Got a Friend -- I loved your interpretation. I don't know what to say about it except that it choked me up a little.

pabrizzer -- Smackwater Jack -- I looooove this song! My college a cappella used to do this, and we had a really nice arrangement and it was one of my favorites to sing. So naturally I sang along. Your version was, unsurprisingly, excellent.

Barbablanca & bird's eye view of my ukulele -- Don't Talk to Me -- Wow! This was Awesome! I knew this theme would have its own challenges for you, Berni, and I was curious to see what you would do (I know you always come up with some fantastic solution). But this was beyond my dreams! You were absolutely right about Lynda's Killer Upstroke being perfect for this song, and Lynda (if that's your real name), you outdid yourself! Great song, brilliant performance. Thanks, both of you, for making this work. (Yes, when I made long-distance collaborations an exception to the no multi-tracking rule, this is exactly what I had in mind.)

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 05:11 AM
<TCK>Shit...did I just learn a song I thought was written by a female only to find it was written by a male? Dammit...A New England Kristy MacColl (Billy Bragg) over to the island. </TCK>
I would say you could look that sort of thing up before you learned the song, but I'm afraid that would mess with your Process. So, just do your thing, but it looks like you're going to have to do it again. :biglaugh: (Not laughing. I would never do that, not ever. I lied; I'm totally laughing.)

librainian
03-20-2014, 07:54 AM
librainian -- Early Morning Thief -- So much fun! You did a fantastic job with this song, and your Cameo sounded great. I love the song!

For anyone who liked this song, another one of my favorites from that album is currently being offered as a free download. Give it a try.

Your House Tonight (http://www.manitobamusic.com/download)

And tell me if she doesn't sound like Myrna!

p.s. Now I am stoked! Miss Higgins liked my cover! Made my day!

Barbablanca
03-20-2014, 08:07 AM
....And tell me if she doesn't sound like Myrna!

I can't... because she does ;). And there are a few of her albums on emusic. So, thanks to this season, that's my quota taken care of next month. :)

Milliron
03-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Yep she does sound like Myrna. That was a great vampy song:) Thanks for sharing.

Milliron
03-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Lily thats a great line of Dolly's. She is a funny lady:) Thank you for the compliment and for watching my video. Have a wonderful day!
Wow! That's all. Comments on most recent videos:

decaturcomp -- Landslide -- What a beautiful version of this song! I agree, Stevie doesn't get enough credit as a songwriter, and I think this is one of her best. (We have to give Fred credit, though, for being the first to bring Stevie this week.)

Milliron -- Jolene -- And Dolly is finally here! Yay! You played and sang it beautifully. This song is, I think, deceptively challenging to sing, and you did a great job with it. (My favorite Dolly line, when someone asked if she minded when people thought she was a dumb blonde: "Of course not, 'cause I know I'm not dumb. I also know I'm not blonde.") Thanks for bringing Dolly to the party! The Season would not have been complete without her.

decaturcomp -- You've Got a Friend -- I loved your interpretation. I don't know what to say about it except that it choked me up a little.

pabrizzer -- Smackwater Jack -- I looooove this song! My college a cappella used to do this, and we had a really nice arrangement and it was one of my favorites to sing. So naturally I sang along. Your version was, unsurprisingly, excellent.

Barbablanca & bird's eye view of my ukulele -- Don't Talk to Me -- Wow! This was Awesome! I knew this theme would have its own challenges for you, Berni, and I was curious to see what you would do (I know you always come up with some fantastic solution). But this was beyond my dreams! You were absolutely right about Lynda's Killer Upstroke being perfect for this song, and Lynda (if that's your real name), you outdid yourself! Great song, brilliant performance. Thanks, both of you, for making this work. (Yes, when I made long-distance collaborations an exception to the no multi-tracking rule, this is exactly what I had in mind.)

GinnyT11
03-20-2014, 08:15 AM
This is an original song I wrote with a beautiful, lively, lass who gave me a brief few days of her time back in 1986...
I asked Lynda if she fancied having a go at this, because I could really hear her insistent upstroke strum as the backing to this and I could easily imagine that it would fit her voice perfectly. Luckily, she readily agreed!!! So, after a few key changes, we finally settled on one that works for both of us and here is: "Don't Talk to Me!"

This is a very cool collaboration and a nice contrast between instruments and voices. Be sure to post it as well in the Seasonistas Jamming with Seasonistas thread.

You see how much power BEV has, if it's Berni who changes to a bird's-eye view!
Maybe she can make the prize of her next hosting week a glimpse of her face. Carly Simon once auctioned for charity the answer to "Who is You're so Vain about?"

mythinformed
03-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Well, here goes nothing!
I thought I was smiling, but it turns out I'm sort of giving the camera a death glare... totally unintentional.

Welcome to the Seasons Bookworm and don't worry about the stare I've been likened to the grim reaper while I'm playing ..........I just can't manage the cheesey smile and play at the same time ............. Hmmmm I wonder if theres a tutorial on YT on how to smile and chuckle like George Formby ??? Lol

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 08:46 AM
For anyone who liked this song, another one of my favorites from that album is currently being offered as a free download. Give it a try.

Oh, wow! So cool that she saw it, although it's no surprise that she liked it. I hope she knows, and she probably does, that because you covered that one song a whole bunch of people have discovered her, and some, not to mention any names but they might rhyme with "Darbablanca" or "Derni," have invested in her recordings. All because YOU did an awesome job with one song! Also I'm going to follow you on Twitter now.

This is a very cool collaboration and a nice contrast between instruments and voices. Be sure to post it as well in the Seasonistas Jamming with Seasonistas thread.

Maybe she can make the prize of her next hosting week a glimpse of her face. Carly Simon once auctioned for charity the answer to "Who is You're so Vain about?"
BEV, as a member of the Royal Family, not only has power (and charisma), she has an extremely dedicated and well-trained security detail. Umm... don't ask how I know that.

I remember when Carly did that auction! Well, I would hope so, as it was only a few years ago. But the funny thing was that whoever won had to swear they would never tell. I don't know what happened after that. I think she narrowed down the list and shot down the Warren Beatty theory.

UkeyDave
03-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Here's my 3rd entry. This is one i can't decide between playing in the key of Bb or C. I plumped for Bb but think it may have been just a little too low for me. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2STZ1qfL5E

UkeyDave
03-20-2014, 10:25 AM

OMG yes. What a fantastic song and yes it IS Myrna.

xommen
03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
I tried another song from Antje as she made some beautiful songs. I had some issues finding the right key, I think this was the best.
This is Antje Duvekot - Sleepy Sea of Indigo and Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OOvbr1Kwk

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 02:16 PM
UkeyDave -- Someone Like You -- This is a great song and it's been fun hearing it done by a couple men this Season. I love your version, and the UkeyDave-ness you brought to it!

xommen -- Sleepy Sea of Indigo and Blue -- Very nice song! I loved your picking. Great job.

The playlist is updated through xommen's video. You'll let me know if anything's missing, right?

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 02:20 PM

Holy cats! She sounds like Myrna!

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 02:25 PM
So, I took the bus into town this afternoon. I'm walking along, minding my business, and suddenly I notice myself singing this:

"Ooh, baby, ooh! Say ooh!"

BEVOMU is powerful indeed.

hucklelele
03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs3s2q3wj2Q&feature=youtu.be

Here's my version of "Anticipation"

03-20-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm walking along, minding my business, and suddenly I notice myself singing this:

"Ooh, baby, ooh! Say ooh!"

BEVOMU is powerful indeed.
lol!

i do that all the time :uhoh: i honestly don't think THAT many people notice :eek: i did it before my cover, so i think we can safely blame stevie herself!

Maybe she can make the prize of her next hosting week a glimpse of her face.
i thought it was super charming of berni to join me in the bird's eye view!

i might keep the face glimpse ready to use as a punishment if anyone misbehaves badly in my next week, ginny, the advertising standards authority will prosecute me if i say it's a "prize"

lol!

thank you so much for inviting me to collab, berni, it was great fun to do and i LOVED your song.

i'm so glad now that i DIDN'T just steal it and run off and do a version of it all on my own!

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 02:54 PM
hucklelele -- Anticipation -- More Carly! Thanks for bringing more Carly, and you did a great job with it. I like your baritone. In retrospect I'm surprised it's taken so long for this song, but I suppose that's fitting. If Wikipedia is to be believed, Carly wrote this song while getting ready to go on a date with Cat Stevens.

Milliron
03-20-2014, 03:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7tieneCcIw&amp;feature=youtu.be
Bonus for Season 109
Cover of Carole Kings song, SO FAR AWAY.

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 03:05 PM
lol!

i do that all the time :uhoh: i honestly don't think THAT many people notice :eek: i did it before my cover, so i think we can safely blame stevie herself!
YOU can blame Stevie. I blame you. But it's okay; I'm sure nobody noticed either of us. :uhoh: (ooh baby ooh say ooh)

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Milliron -- So Far Away -- This is one of my favorite Carole King songs, and your interpretation is just lovely. You have such a beautiful voice, and this was such a heartfelt performance. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. (Don't worry about the glasses! A few of us wear them all the time. There's a UU group for us and everything (GIGAPUs). See? It's a thing. Also no bonuses this week, just lots and lots of lots of songs, so record as many as you like. We'll be here.)

ukuLily Mars
03-20-2014, 03:29 PM
I think it's time for me to call it a night! You've all been fantastic, and we had some awesome videos today! I can't wait to see what you come up with tomorrow, or later tonight for those of you in North America.

Have fun, play nice, and try not to trash the joint. (But don't try too hard.)

CeeJay
03-20-2014, 03:42 PM
I was going to take a pass on this Season.....then this one hit me between the eyes and I had to have a go....and particularly as someone who never worked 9 till 5......

mostly it was 0645 to 2100...but hey that's history ...

Who cain't lurve a little Dolly.....Sorry about the accent ...think of it as payback for Dick Van Dyke's cock - a - knee accent in Mary Poorpins.......

http://youtu.be/LvgCLa1AswE

...as ever ...sorry 'bout the singinge....

hucklelele
03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
I did "So Far Away" too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGlJ9ekTPc&feature=youtu.be

Concertina
03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
I was going to take a pass on this Season.....then this one hit me between the eyes and I had to have a go....and particularly as someone who never worked 9 till 5......

mostly it was 0645 to 2100...but hey that's history ...

Who cain't lurve a little Dolly.....Sorry about the accent ...think of it as payback for Dick Van Dyke's cock - a - knee accent in Mary Poorpins.......

http://youtu.be/LvgCLa1AswE

...as ever ...sorry 'bout the singinge....

Ahhh...now I NEED to watch that movie. "Well it looks just like Skinny N Sweet!"

Terrilee
03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Edith Piaf wrote the lyrics to this song, which may be her best-known. It sounds kind of mournful in French, but it's actually pretty upbeat, so the second verse is in English.
http://youtu.be/0qfhnHe-LJk

TCK
03-20-2014, 04:44 PM
All right you- I got this! Here is the same song, written by Billy Bragg and covered by the late Kirsty MacColl...but there is a catch and I will get to that. Regretfully this does not exclude me from being a complete idiot for several reasons:
A. I thought she wrote it for thirty years. Not good
B. I got her name wrong in the intro...idiot. KIRSTY not Kristy.
C. I got it uploaded before I realized any of this....
BUT, salvation is here! She DID NOT write this song, at least the first two versus. SHE DID WRITE THE LAST ONE!!!! And I played it because I like her version, so in reality, that is 33.33333333 and so on percent of the song-writing credit!!! YAY!!!
I know- I am still a moron.
I would say you could look that sort of thing up before you learned the song, but I'm afraid that would mess with your Process. So, just do your thing, but it looks like you're going to have to do it again. :biglaugh: (Not laughing. I would never do that, not ever. I lied; I'm totally laughing.)
Here is my double posted video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AZyBj6pCLc

Concertina
03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Edith Piaf wrote the lyrics to this song, which may be her best-known. It sounds kind of mournful in French, but it's actually pretty upbeat, so the second verse is in English.
http://youtu.be/0qfhnHe-LJk

You have such a beautiful voice!!

Milliron
03-20-2014, 06:02 PM
I loved that! Thank you:)

You have such a beautiful voice!!

dirtiestkidever
03-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Recorded in one take while making dinner so there is a lot of background noise. But the sound of sizzling veggies give it the crackle of an old record.

I learned it from watching the librarian's kick ass little white uke version (http://youtu.be/XZcBkHCsVMI). I learned it to soothe my son to sleep but he actually much prefers the baritone uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51O1Hbl9G90&feature=share&list=UUCnOnHnwgw4sbaaMmRTZDOA

Milliron
03-20-2014, 06:09 PM
I don't know what percentage was what, and I don't care:) It was great and I'm glad you introduced me to the song. Wonderful!

All right you- I got this! Here is the same song, written by Billy Bragg and covered by the late Kirsty MacColl...but there is a catch and I will get to that. Regretfully this does not exclude me from being a complete idiot for several reasons:
A. I thought she wrote it for thirty years. Not good
B. I got her name wrong in the intro...idiot. KIRSTY not Kristy.
C. I got it uploaded before I realized any of this....
BUT, salvation is here! She DID NOT write this song, at least the first two versus. SHE DID WRITE THE LAST ONE!!!! And I played it because I like her version, so in reality, that is 33.33333333 and so on percent of the song-writing credit!!! YAY!!!
I know- I am still a moron.
Here is my double posted video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AZyBj6pCLc

Milliron
03-20-2014, 06:11 PM
What a great multi-tasker you are:) I am impressed! I loved it.

Recorded in one take while making dinner so there is a lot of background noise. But the sound of sizzling veggies give it the crackle of an old record.

I learned it from watching the librarian's kick ass little white uke version (http://youtu.be/XZcBkHCsVMI). I learned it to soothe my son to sleep but he actually much prefers the baritone uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51O1Hbl9G90&feature=share&list=UUCnOnHnwgw4sbaaMmRTZDOA

Milliron
03-20-2014, 06:15 PM
You can play the heck out of that Uke! That was really fun:) Thank you for this fun performance.

Ahhh...now I NEED to watch that movie. "Well it looks just like Skinny N Sweet!"

Milliron
03-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Thank you for playing a Carole King song. Wonderful:)

I did "So Far Away" too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGlJ9ekTPc&feature=youtu.be

Milliron
03-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Very beautiful!

I tried another song from Antje as she made some beautiful songs. I had some issues finding the right key, I think this was the best.
This is Antje Duvekot - Sleepy Sea of Indigo and Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OOvbr1Kwk

Milliron
03-20-2014, 06:27 PM
This was great in the key you chose. I love Adele and this song. Beautiful!

Here's my 3rd entry. This is one i can't decide between playing in the key of Bb or C. I plumped for Bb but think it may have been just a little too low for me. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2STZ1qfL5E