Season 109 of the Ukulele: Girls Just Wanna

ukuLily Mars

Reaction score
Girls Just Wanna Write Songs!

Hello, Seasonistas, and welcome to Season 109!

I have the privilege of filling in for Geoff this week, and I’ll start by saying how delighted I am to be hosting! I haven’t been around as much as I would like and when Ralf asked me to step in I knew this was perfect timing. Thanks, all of you, for having me back!

The theme this week is songs written or co-written by women. For the purposes of this Season, “co-written” is defined as at least one-third of the writing team being a woman/women. If there are two or three writers and one is a woman, it counts. If there are four writers and only one is a woman, it does not count. Sorry, all you Arthur’s Theme fans out there.

If you write your own songs and you’re a woman, you’re probably already working on your entry. If you’re a man, you will have to work with a woman. You may use a poem and add your own music, or a musical composition and add your own lyrics. You are also welcome to invite a woman to work with you in collaboration, perhaps another Seasonista.

Here are the rules:

For no other reason than that it seems we don’t do this any more, I’m going to say no multi-tracking. There are two exceptions to this. One, if you want to do a duet and you’re all by yourself – perhaps, hypothetically, you want to go all Everly Brothers on Season 109 – you may add a track for that, but no showing off. Two, if you want to collaborate with a Seasonista who does not live within commuting distance, you’ll need to get a little fancy.

Videos recorded this week, and please say that it’s for Season 109 of the Ukulele, but if you forget to put it in the video and just put it in the title that’s fine.

Please don’t post until after midnight Hawai’i time Sunday, and you may post until 11:59pm Hawai’i time next Sunday.

HERE’S WHAT I FORGOT TO PUT IN THE VIDEO

One of my greatest accomplishments was the naming of the TCK Rule. Yup, I take full credit (for the naming of it, that is; the "rule" itself is from TCK just being TCK, for which I can claim no credit). I always enjoy hearing what made you want to share your song with us. Obviously, this is completely optional.

In the last Season I hosted, entries were limited to three takes, and I liked it. I don’t want any ‘ukulele-related stress on my watch. I’m going to assume all entries were done in three takes or fewer. This is a guideline, not a rule; take it as seriously as you choose.

Winners will be selected from the Snazzy Trilby. Everyone who enters will get their name in the Snazzy Trilby once, no matter how many times they enter. I am not going to put a limit on entries, but I will ask that you not post any videos that are not official entries in this thread. I am generally good about updating the playlist and commenting, so help me out by sticking with videos that fit the entry criteria. There will be no bonus playlist.

Prizes! What a conversation starter a pair of chic, red YouTube sunglasses will be, yes? :cool:

Later in the day I will post some suggestions for songwriters but I will let you all talk amongst yourselves first. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s entries!

Playlist is HERE!

Last edited:
Great! Im getting started. Thanks Lily:)

Awesome theme! Got my song all picked out!

Maybe I'll enter (this would be my first Season if I do)! I do have a quick question--does it have to be an original song?

Hurray! No multi-tracking so I won't feel stressed over that. Also, I immediately thought of "Money Changes Everything" by Cyndy Lauper but alas she did not write it. I have a few ideas anyways and I will put on my thinking cap to make sure they are written by women. Great theme.

super awesome theme, lily!

Maybe I'll enter (this would be my first Season if I do)! I do have a quick question--does it have to be an original song?
yay! do enter! it doesn't have to be an original song, indeed it can only be an original song if you are a girl

otherwise whatever gender you are, the song has to be written by, or have at least a one third song-writing share by, a woman

yay! do enter! it doesn't have to be an original song, indeed it can only be an original song if you are a girl

otherwise whatever gender you are, the song has to be written by, or have at least a one third song-writing share by, a woman

Thanks! Time to start looking at songs!

As BEVOMU said, it does not. Would love to have you participate in this Season! Welcome! (Besides, I'm a writer, so anybody called Bookworm is a friend of mine.)

Hurray! No multi-tracking so I won't feel stressed over that. Also, I immediately thought of "Money Changes Everything" by Cyndy Lauper but alas she did not write it. I have a few ideas anyways and I will put on my thinking cap to make sure they are written by women. Great theme.
She did write a lot of other songs, though, including the score to the musical "Kinky Boots." She didn't write the song quoted in the thread title, but the thread title is not a coincidence! ;) Good for you for catching that. She co-wrote a lot of songs but watch the one-third rule with this one.

super awesome theme, lily!

Thanks! BEVOMU is right; it does not need to be an original song. I just wanted to be clear for those of us who do write songs, and to encourage the ladies who do write songs to post their originals. But most entries will most likely not be originals, like pretty much every other Season.

anyone else :wallbash: because the song they just CANNOT get out of their head, only has a one quarter woman-writing-credit?

the seasons - making you use your brain since february 2012

Lily when You say no multi tracks I understand that you mean musically you want the raw version but what about the video. Are you including no video upgrades...like no pics or movie editing?

She did write a lot of other songs, though, including the score to the musical "Kinky Boots." She didn't write the song quoted in the thread title, but the thread title is not a coincidence! ;) Good for you for catching that. She co-wrote a lot of songs but watch the one-third rule with this one.

I have already found mine, it's a song in my regular list that I like to play and it's a 50/50 song writing credit. My wife is taking my daughter to a birthday party tomorrow so I should have a 2 hour window to record. I will submit in my usual style or not, we'll see when we get there.

I'm gonna say no, none of that. If you have something special in mind send me a PM and I'll consider it but I don't want people putting their energy into production.

I'm gonna say no, none of that. If you have something special in mind send me a PM and I'll consider it but I don't want people putting their energy into production.

Oh! I like that, it's like opposite me. Just a nice straight video of us playing and singing. After last weeks video I made I welcome simplicity. 1 ukulele/singer, 1 camera. Pretty simple, maybe I'll wear a hat.

Gaga just aint the same with a bunged up nose. :-(

Top Bottom