PDA

View Full Version : MIM Ukes

WashAshore
03-16-2014, 02:04 AM
I did a search, came up with 498 pages. I have the attention span of a flea, couldn't scan 498 pages.
I'm about to buy an inexpensive tenor and came across one I like from MIM. Anyone buy one form them,
are they really set up well?
Thanks

Shady Wilbury
03-16-2014, 02:10 AM
Hi,

I've never bought from Mim myself, but I'd be 99.9% certain that within those 498 pages, you'd find only posts from very happy customers. Mim (and her ukes) are very highly regarded within this community. You can certainly buy with confidence from her based on that alone.

savagehenry
03-16-2014, 02:23 AM
I bought a concert from her and it came set up perfect. I know that she takes pride in her u kuleles and does a great job at setting them up, no matter what the price point.

Dave-Uke
03-16-2014, 02:24 AM
In a word 'YES'!! I have purchased 3 Ukuleles from Mim. All have been set up perfect. She is one of just a few online Ukulele sellers that I would trust 100%. What you see on her web site is the actual ukulele you are getting. Her prices are competitive and they were all received within a few days of ordering. Whenever I'm looking for something new, she is the first site I check!! She has a great reputation on this site and is also a member. I can guarantee more positive recommendations will follow mine!!

Tudorp
03-16-2014, 02:28 AM
Mim's a peach. 2nd to none in customer support and satifaction. Green light.

NOTLguy
03-16-2014, 03:09 AM
I had the opportunity to visit Mim's on a trip back from Florida and I purchased a Pono ATDC. Mim's service was excellent and she took all the time I needed to make a good decision including displaying a bunch of ukes I was interested in. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her for a ukulele purchase.

Bill

kvehe
03-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Absolutely, 100% what everyone above says. I've purchased multiple ukes from Mim (at one point she called me "the queen of UAS") - most recently an incredibly sweet little Paulele bamboo soprano that just arrived this past Thursday. You can't go wrong with Mim.

fretie
03-16-2014, 03:54 AM
Yup, Mim's awesome!

I got a Big Island tenor from her last year. She was terrific to deal with and the uke was perfectly set up.

greyghost
03-16-2014, 05:11 AM
I've bought two tenors from Mim (Eleuke and Lanikai solid zebrawood), and they were set up perfectly and shipped FAST--+she's just great to deal with. In my opinion, you can't go wrong buying from her.

kenikas
03-16-2014, 05:23 AM
What everyone above has said, Mim is great to work with. I've bought a couple from her and she always goes out of her way to make sure you'll be happy

kohanmike
03-16-2014, 05:46 AM
I cruise eBay all the time looking at tenor cutaway A/E ukes and just the other day I came across a listing from Mim of a Kala solid cedar/acacia koa. I emailed her to ask a variety of questions and she replied very quickly with clear a precise answers to all the questions I asked.

In fact, with her answers, I decided to hold off on buying the Kala, but she was as gracious and forthcoming as I've ever encountered. I would buy from her in an instant with full confidence that the setup would be perfect. She even said she would be sure the string volume balance would be correct with the pickup, which she said is how she started in ukuleles.

hibiscus
03-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Mim is fantastic~ go for it!

Icelander53
03-16-2014, 06:19 AM
I had to return a defective uke to her and she made it a very easy process and quickly refunded my money. I trust her.

WashAshore
03-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Thanks everyone! Those endorsements say a lot, I'm going with the MIM tenor.

RichM
03-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Most importantly, Mim is a person, not a "them." :) She personally sets up your uke, ships it out to you, and makes sure you're satisfied with your purchase. She's also a very active member of the community.

sarastro
03-16-2014, 08:13 AM
I've also bought from Mim. Excellent set up and excellent all around service. I even arranged with her to mail my uke so it would arrive on a Saturday.

fowl
03-16-2014, 08:32 AM
I get ukes from her for all my grandkids. Enough said!

kvehe
03-16-2014, 11:43 AM
It has occurred to me - I hope the OP is talking about the same Mim that we are - since in our world there really isn't a "MIM tenor"*, as she sells many brands of ukes. I have seen references elsewhere to a MIM uke, and in that context (I think it was eBay) it meant "Made In Mexico".

*Unless we consider any uke with Mim's special touch to be a "MIM uke".

OldePhart
03-16-2014, 02:04 PM
It has occurred to me - I hope the OP is talking about the same Mim that we are - since in our world there really isn't a "MIM tenor"*, as she sells many brands of ukes. I have seen references elsewhere to a MIM uke, and in that context (I think it was eBay) it meant "Made In Mexico".

+1 - very good point. Mim uses "MIM" on all her eBay listings to make searching them easier but I do remember a few months ago there was another eBay user tagging some auctions with that (and it wasn't even for Made in Mexico). It was a pretty obvious attempt to capitalize on Mim's reputation. So, make sure you're dealing with the real Mim!

John

bbycrts
03-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Mim rocks...and is a little bit hot, too.

ukeeku
03-18-2014, 07:38 AM

A little? She is a babe!! To bad she got rid of the blue hair.

Nickie
03-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Here's another vote for Mim's Ukes....I've bought 3 from her, and they have no problems! I had one from another seller that she couldn't set up, so I got rid of it!

OldePhart
03-18-2014, 11:48 AM

A little bit hot! Mim's da bomb!

Mim
03-18-2014, 02:13 PM
YALL.... I BLUSH!!! DAY MADE!

Actually... like... MY YEAR!!!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!
This was the most happy making post for me!

Yall ALL know how much you mean to me! Ukulele Underground is my "home". Well, you all are more like my co-workers! I have no one to talk to during the day but the occasional phone call, you guys are my water cooler! Ukulele players are my best friends (no lie)! And I am not saying that as a dealer. I am a UU member before a dealer... ALWAYS! And you ALL are my friends! You know I love you all!!!

Most importantly, Mim is a person, not a "them." :) She personally sets up your uke, ships it out to you, and makes sure you're satisfied with your purchase. She's also a very active member of the community.

THANKS RICH! This is the thing that always gives me the giggles and I love for people to know! You buy a Mim Uke, you get a Mim Uke. No underlings, everything is done by me (therefore my website is not as nice as I would like and the outside of my shop needs painting... haha). Sometimes I want to put on my card, "CEO, CFO, Sales, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Secretary, Webmaster, Shipping, Receiving, Repairman, Technician, Janitor..." People will call and say, "you guys" and it makes me smile! I like that people perceive me as being a bigger operation than I am because it means I am doing something right!

Being a one woman show adds a lot of accountability. If your uke is right, I did it! If it is wrong, I did it! Since I don't have anyone else to blame but myself, I am hyper-vigilant about making each uke as right as possible before I send it out! Well, I am hyper anal about it no matter what, but it adds the extra pressure. And if something heaven forbid is wrong (not often, but it happens) I always make it right! (Ok... I am sounding self-promoting... let me move on)

+1 - very good point. Mim uses "MIM" on all her eBay listings to make searching them easier but I do remember a few months ago there was another eBay user tagging some auctions with that (and it wasn't even for Made in Mexico). It was a pretty obvious attempt to capitalize on Mim's reputation. So, make sure you're dealing with the real Mim!

John

Thanks for this too! I think what happens with ebay is that it gives you the option of searching an item you want to sell and then you can press a button that says "sell something similar" so people will knock off my titles and everything not realizing that Mim is a person, not a product description. Basically, look for the orange background, or the black background with the Mim watermark. And all my listings have a lot of headers and colors that are very "me". And yeah, it means Made in Mexico too... ooooopsie!

Jon... I blush!!! You get a big hug for that one!!!

A little? She is a babe!! To bad she got rid of the blue hair.

It will be back... oh yes... it will be back!!! Oh, and you get a hug too!

Here's another vote for Mim's Ukes....I've bought 3 from her, and they have no problems! I had one from another seller that she couldn't set up, so I got rid of it!

It always bugs me when I cant get a buzz out! Cause it is what I do! Daily. And it is rare when I cant get it worked out. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve since I worked on that uke Nickie, if only I could transport back in time I think I could fix it now. That was... wow... about 2.5 years ago... right? Or is it 3.5? Holy crap I think it was 3.5!!! We have been friends A LONG TIME!

A little bit hot! Mim's da bomb!

And yes another huge hug to give out now!!! You are my favoritest Olde Phart ever!

fowl
03-19-2014, 10:15 AM
I can't believe I blinked and missed the Blue Hair!!!

Mim
03-19-2014, 11:56 AM
I can't believe I blinked and missed the Blue Hair!!!

Are you not my facebook friend?

Mim's Ukes (friend not like... I never do anything with my business page)

I got lots of pictures! It was exceptionally radiant at NAMM!

fowl
03-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Mim, I am your friend but I am such a non-computer person that I know nothing of facebook.

Pueo
03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
I have purchased two ukuleles from Mim, one for myself and one as a gift for a family member.
I have also had the pleasure of meeting her in person a couple of times.
She will definitely take care of you, I recommend her highly.

Nickie
03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Yes, Mim it was 2.5 years ago! I'm still lovin the Kala you so lovingly prepped for me, it's my bb! I put so many anxious people at rest with it, I named it Ativan. No matter how many ukes I get (10 or 11 so far) it is still my fave! I'm very pleased with it, and proud to tell folks where I got it....and that red and black zebra gig bag you sent it in....everyone wants one, I could have sold a dozen like it! Ativan is now retired to just jamming and doing memorials, and maybe open mic again one day, and has been replaced at work with a cheaper Kala, because someone almost knocked Ativan off a table at a patient's home! My buddy Laurie mentioned her Dolphin you sent her the other day, she plays it often, loves it....I'm looking forward to my next MIM uke, LOL!