Is a 6 string just for strumming?

dickadcock

Reaction score
confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, New Yo
. . . or can a 6 string be a good all around uke? (picking, as well as strumming, performing, passing the time on a tramp steamer, -- whatever that is) Do you have one for the volume, or the different sound?
~ Dick

. . . or can a 6 string be a good all around uke? (picking, as well as strumming, performing, passing the time on a tramp steamer, -- whatever that is) Do you have one for the volume, or the different sound?
~ Dick

I have one for all of the above strung G cC e aa. Can play anything it is a low G so if I need a re-entrant I grab my other uke. Otherwise I love playing finger style with it.

I'm with Jay, although he is a way better and more diverse player than I am. My 6-string is my go-to uke. I sometimes decide to play a different uke for a particular song, but I most often stick to my 6-string Lanikai.

I've owned a few six stringers. Will own again. I had one strung with low g and one with low a. I strummed and finger picked with mine.

I have one for all of the above strung G cC e aa. Can play anything it is a low G so if I need a re-entrant I grab my other uke. Otherwise I love playing finger style with it.
Thanks for the response, Jay. I followed your YouTube link & got a lovely earful of 6 strings (great playing, great uke) … just heard of the Ukejam by the Bay, but I was just out there at Christmas, so won't be back that soon. Looks like fun.

I'm with Jay, although he is a way better and more diverse player than I am. My 6-string is my go-to uke. I sometimes decide to play a different uke for a particular song, but I most often stick to my 6-string Lanikai.

Hearing that it can be a go-to uke is kinda what I was looking for. At some point I am going to want to simplify and "thin the herd", as it were. In the meantime, I need to get & test -- for an extended period -- as many types as I can.

That's my story and . . . ;)

I prefer six strings for rhythm playing in groups, even thought you can pick with them, I would prefer a 4 stringer anyday...

Generally considered a little more versatile than an 8 string because it's easier to fingerpick, yet you still get much of the chime of an 8 string when strumming.

I have a KoAloha six string which I pick a lot maybe more than I strum it, and love the sound produced both ways.
Steve.

I have a Pono 6 string. I think your video sounded great. I think 6 or even 8 strings helps a uke stand out in a worship group. Kind of like having a 12 string guitar when everyone else is playing a 6 string.

I checked the links and am now much more interested in doing instrumentals, rather than just vocal accompaniment.
Everyone should get your free PDF to see all the types of arrangements you've done in your books. I enjoyed trying a few.
Thanks for your input.

Like so many things ukulele, it is all personal taste.
I love my 6 string, but would not want it as my only ukulele.
Great strummer, but prefer a 4 string for melody playing.

Thank you for the compliment.

One more link. On this line you will find an explanation "legend" of tablature for the 6 string ukulele.

PS: your question was the impetus for my new song.

Thanks for the response, Jay. I followed your YouTube link & got a lovely earful of 6 strings (great playing, great uke) … just heard of the Ukejam by the Bay, but I was just out there at Christmas, so won't be back that soon. Looks like fun.

My pleasure. Maybe we'll see ya in 2015!
Cheers!

Top Bottom