My new Kala Acacia Tenor with Aquila and Worth Brown strings

Sonic

Reaction score
My first tenor uke - Ka-ASAC-T
Targeted with this popular brand and model

The sound is really different style with mahogany concert, the acacia tenor one sound so sweet and body.

And I swapped with Worth Brown to see how it can beb:D

http://youtu.be/I9XbNgkVUes

I think both samples sound really good and can't say I prefer one over the other.

It's funny you posted this because I just restrung my ASAC-T with Worth Browns 2 days ago. I've mostly played it with Aquila and really liked it but wanted to see what the Worth's were like. I like them and they'll stay on for now. Pretty nice strings. I removed a set that had a wound low G and am glad those are off…I didn't care for that at all.

And congratulations on your first tenor uke.

to me the sound different in aquila and worth browns is very minimal but I would say the browns are a little more mellow. I have browns but I've not used them yet :) I love my kala tenor!

Thank you for posting that...I haven't found a really good quality sound comparison of the Worth Browns...I was thinking of buying them but didn't. Next time, I might.

I like the Browns - they have a sweeter sound to my ears.

Congrats.

I focused on the Spanish Romance portion of each string set. The Aquilas seemed louder and more percussive. Maybe the Worths were still settling in, but they didn't seem quite right. Also, you seemed to have a more difficult time fretting the A string at the 12th fret with the thinner Worths. That could just be a matter of adjustment, but that's what I saw. Enjoyed watching it, so thanks!

P.S. I have some Worth Clears sitting in my case, along with some other brands. I'm just too reluctant to change the Oasis strings on my Kala KA ATP CG and Kala KA ASOV tenor. They both sound much better with the Oasis strings than the stock Aquilas.

I focused on the Spanish Romance portion of each string set. The Aquilas seemed louder and more percussive. Maybe the Worths were still settling in, but they didn't seem quite right. Also, you seemed to have a more difficult time fretting the A string at the 12th fret with the thinner Worths. That could just be a matter of adjustment, but that's what I saw. Enjoyed watching it, so thanks!

P.S. I have some Worth Clears sitting in my case, along with some other brands. I'm just too reluctant to change the Oasis strings on my Kala KA ATP CG and Kala KA ASOV tenor. They both sound much better with the Oasis strings than the stock Aquilas.

Beside the sound characteristics. In my feeling of Aquilas / Worth, Worth is higher tension so it lead me the 3-strings barre at 7th flet not comfortable as Aquilas, and the quick press from fret 5 to fret 12 on E string buzzed~ haha

Sometimes I may think Worth is not easy to control the strumming voice freely, soft strumming will be difficult on these harder strings.

I think they both sound great....it's a great sounding uke and I agree the Worth's are a little mellower. I'd personally like to hear some Fremont Blacks, low g on it, maybe wound 3 and 4.

Beautiful sounding and looking instrument! I preferred the Worth browns and it feels to my ear like I'm hearing more overtones, or a more three dimensional sound instead of the more linear sound of the Aquilas.

Those of you who are considering Worth Browns should know that there are 10 different 'sets' of brown fluorocarbon strings, not including the low-g variants, which all vary the thickness and tension of the string set. Also to note that for the price, you get enough to string up your uke at least twice, so that is why the price is higher. After you string it up and trim off the extra, wind it up and keep it in the pack for next time, or to put on another uke.

it is almost the same with the Worth Clear strings, and as such there is not just a single variant of the string set.

You can see all the details on the Worth Strings web site.

Also, a few weeks back there was a great thread (which as of now has 91 posts in it) with relevant info about lots of different kinds of strings, and how they might sound on various instruments, which you might want to check out by clicking here.

So you've had a week+ to get to know the uke. What do you think so far? Any string preference? I've had mine for a few years and won't part with it. I've made more money playing it that it cost me, I got it from MGM, and I've bonded well with it. Too many positives to consider selling it, even if it finds itself unplayed for periods at a time.

I have to agree. The Oasis strings have become my favorites. I've tried two types of Worth Browns, three types of Worth Clear, stock Aquilas, D'Addario ProArtes (both the tenor and the concert versions), Martin M600s, and both Oasis types ("Bright" and "Warm"). There are things I like about many of them, but the Oasis sets win the prize for me so far! I've only put them on my soprano and one of my concert ukes so far, but I'll certainly be giving them a go on a second concert, and the tenors as well.

As Booli said, it's important to note that the Worth tenor strings are completely different from their other sets. When I first tried them on my tenor I didn't realize that, and had put Worth Browns on that were not meant for a tenor. They sounded awful and I didn't keep them on long. I swapped them out for D'Addario Pro Artes. Eventually realizing the error I made with the Worth strings, I then tried the Worth Brown Tenor, and they sound a whole lot better, being the correct tension for the instrument!

Top Bottom