PDA

View Full Version : Picking notes

Rllink
03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
I watch guitar players and ukulele players picking notes with their fingers. They are using the thumb and the fingers to pick out the different notes. At the same time they are strumming chords. What the heck do you call that, and how is it done? Is there some sort of pattern for doing that? How about a video that might help explain how to get there?

DownUpDave
03-16-2014, 01:27 PM
It is called talent.......unfortunately I don't have any yet so I can't explain to you how it is done.

Hopefully someone will point us in the right direction, I have seen some good instructionals on Youtub, I am sticking to the easy stuff for a while.

itsme
03-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Well, first of all, you need to know how to strum and you need to know how to pick. Then you need to learn how to combine the two. Watch people like Jake and Aldrine and be amazed.

But first you have to take baby steps. You have to be able to crawl before you walk, and walk before you can run.

There is no magic bullet. Learning to play a few simple chords on uke is pretty easy and a lot of fun. Becoming proficient takes a lot of work.

katysax
03-16-2014, 02:13 PM
There are several different techniques that will enable you to mix chords and melody. If you learn to change chords fluently and learn the notes eventually you will be able to do it. I'm not a great player, but I can play pretty competently, and I'm sure I don't have one ounce of talent. Whatever I can do comes from years of playing guitar, studying music, playing other instruments and practice, practice practice. The best way to improve is to get out and play with other people. If you want to mix chords and melody, a good place to start is learn to play finger style. Get some instruction books for that and start working on it. If you play long enough mixing the chords and melody will be second nature. Keep in mind that more often than not the melody note you want is one of the notes in the chord you are playing. If it's not you either change the chord or just pick the note by itself.

CasanovaGuy
03-17-2014, 12:19 AM
I'd call it fingerstyle too xD

I would recommend starting with some basic strumming-only and picking-only songs, like Ka'au Crater Boys' Surf and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Next, I'd learn how to pick some songs using my thumb, index, and middle finger. Some popular ones are White Sandy Beach, If I Ain't Got You, and Jack Johnson's Breakdown. Arpeggios are also a good choice but are pretty bland in my opinion, so I never really focused on those.

Then, I'd just integrate the two. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to transcribe the songs you like. Figure out the chords and melodies and mix them however you like. It's seems impossibly difficult, but it gets easier the more you transcribe. Check out Aldrine Guerrero and Brittni Paiva for some sampz. Their styles are a nice, straightforward mix of picking and strumming, perfect for learning.

As far as videos go, there isn't really one. Fingerstyle players can have very different styles; compare Taimane Gardner and Kimo Hussey, for example. There's a lot of self-discovery involved in terms of what you like and what you can or can't play. Based on these factors, you'll watch different artists and instructional videos. You kind of have to pave your own path to the musician you want to become, but there's resources and people that are more than happy to help you get to that next step :D

Rllink
03-17-2014, 03:57 AM
I'd call it fingerstyle too xD

I would recommend starting with some basic strumming-only and picking-only songs, like Ka'au Crater Boys' Surf and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Next, I'd learn how to pick some songs using my thumb, index, and middle finger. Some popular ones are White Sandy Beach, If I Ain't Got You, and Jack Johnson's Breakdown. Arpeggios are also a good choice but are pretty bland in my opinion, so I never really focused on those.

Then, I'd just integrate the two. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to transcribe the songs you like. Figure out the chords and melodies and mix them however you like. It's seems impossibly difficult, but it gets easier the more you transcribe. Check out Aldrine Guerrero and Brittni Paiva for some sampz. Their styles are a nice, straightforward mix of picking and strumming, perfect for learning.

As far as videos go, there isn't really one. Fingerstyle players can have very different styles; compare Taimane Gardner and Kimo Hussey, for example. There's a lot of self-discovery involved in terms of what you like and what you can or can't play. Based on these factors, you'll watch different artists and instructional videos. You kind of have to pave your own path to the musician you want to become, but there's resources and people that are more than happy to help you get to that next step :DThanks for that. I actually put "fingerstyle ukulele" in yahoo and came up with a bunch of hits. As you have mentioned, there are many different styles. I know that I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I was curious and your post helped a lot. Thanks.

Spud1$
03-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Although I have been working at the uke for 7 months I seem to get worse as time goes on. However I have a friend who is an excellent guitar, mandolin, and banjo player/picker etc. he picked up my uke and started picking and strumming and when I asked him what that was called he said " chord melody style" I wrote it down because that's what I aspire to. At Christmas time there was a post on here selling Christmas music with the Ukulele and this music gave exact pick or strum instructions and one was fairly easy. His name was Wilfried Welti. I thought the arrangements were beautiful and for someone with experience I think they would make great practice.

katysax
03-17-2014, 11:21 AM
If you feel like you are getting worse then take a break for a couple of weeks. Also, back up and go to the beginning, and go slowly. Sometimes I'll go through a very beginner instruction book, even if I do it in a day or two, just to remember and reinforce the basics.

Spud1$
03-17-2014, 12:19 PM
If you feel like you are getting worse then take a break for a couple of weeks. Also, back up and go to the beginning, and go slowly. Sometimes I'll go through a very beginner instruction book, even if I do it in a day or two, just to remember and reinforce the basics.
Well I need a plan so I'm going to give your plan a try, thanks!

stevepetergal
03-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Kimo Hussey has a few instructional videos. He's the best.