Mainland longneck concert pineapple -comments

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
These look pretty nice...comments from owners or anyone who has played one. I'm curious about the whole pineapple shape effect on tone and love tenors. Concert body , tenor neck..... It looks very portable. Not many clips on you tube but mahogany looks very nice. Also, wondering about hard shell cases. Any available?
MT

savagehenry has one. He was thinking of selling it at a recent Ukefest, but put Fremont Black low g set on. Sounds full and rich. No sale.

I didn't know Mainland made a longneck concert pineapple but see it now on their website. Generally pineapples have a fuller sound than standard body because of the larger volume. I have the longneck soprano pineapple and Mike at Uke Republic recommended a soprano Steady semi hard case- it fits well.

I wish there we're more pictures of this ukulele posted. I'd also like to see a case and some sound samples. Mike at Uke Republic has a You Tube of this model and that is what got me interested in it. I still would love to hear from owners who actually have one and play it regularly. I'm a tenor guy but long neck ( tenor) on concert seems cool. I also don't like Aquilla strings so would like to know it anybody put fluorocarbons on there HOG.

http://youtu.be/zSsuNVzDnes
Here's a video, sound isn't great, just a netbook.
I think the ukulele looks great. I wasn't a big fan of the sound, felt that it was generic and clean, lacked character. I was going to sell it, but as a last ditch effort, I put on some Fremont black low g strings and I think it sounds awesome now. I generally like reentrant, but the low g really works on this ukulele.

I have one on order, due to arrive Friday. I will post impressions and clips on You Tube with a link here once it arrives:)

Thanks for comments, clip and thoughts. Looking forward to Red Roosters first impressions upon opening and playing one. I am surprised more not using this model. I was looking at Flea/Fluke for a travel ukulele and they are cool but that led me to this pineapple. It would seems fairly compact , yet give you full scale tenor and with all solid wood for the $$$ vrs say a flea with tenor neck….. it would seem like a good deal. Maybe they need time to open up.

http://youtu.be/zSsuNVzDnes
Here's a video, sound isn't great, just a netbook.
I think the ukulele looks great. I wasn't a big fan of the sound, felt that it was generic and clean, lacked character. I was going to sell it, but as a last ditch effort, I put on some Fremont black low g strings and I think it sounds awesome now. I generally like reentrant, but the low g really works on this ukulele.

Nice playing too, Brian.

Red Rooster.........what were you impressions of this model coming out of the box or have you received it yet.

I have been playing it since Friday. Here are a few thoughts. I must disclose that this is my first ever exposure to a concert Uke. My main instrument is guitar, so keep this in mind when you read this.:)
The fit and finish of the Uke is very nice, and the set up was spot on. Nice fretwork, and no fret edges sticking out, etc. As for the sound, this Uke takes time to really open up. It underwhelmed me tonally at first, but as I have continued to play it, it has started to come to life! It really seems to excel when strummed. The single note definition and string to string clarity when playing single note lines is Ok, but not great. The Uke doesn't have much sustain when playing single note lines and chordal type solo/melody lines, but then again this may not be the fault of the Uke and is perhaps characteristic of concert ukes in general with the shorter neck? I can't say due to my limited experience. For the price I paid I'm pleased with it.I also have to say that the Uke is very stable and I'm happy with the tuners. It's nice to not have to tune constantly as I do with my Baritone.

I have been playing it since Friday. Here are a few thoughts. I must disclose that this is my first ever exposure to a concert Uke. My main instrument is guitar, so keep this in mind when you read this.:)
The fit and finish of the Uke is very nice, and the set up was spot on. Nice fretwork, and no fret edges sticking out, etc. As for the sound, this Uke takes time to really open up. It underwhelmed me tonally at first, but as I have continued to play it, it has started to come to life! It really seems to excel when strummed. The single note definition and string to string clarity when playing single note lines is Ok, but not great. The Uke doesn't have much sustain when playing single note lines and chordal type solo/melody lines, but then again this may not be the fault of the Uke and is perhaps characteristic of concert ukes in general with the shorter neck? I can't say due to my limited experience. For the price I paid I'm pleased with it.I also have to say that the Uke is very stable and I'm happy with the tuners. It's nice to not have to tune constantly as I do with my Baritone.

The stock Aquila strings do lend themselves to strumming, with a lot of punch and little sustain. They are not my cup of tea. I'd suggest you try Oasis strings on your uke, and I think you will get more of the sustain, finesse, and clarity you're after. My Mainlands love Oasis; both the "Bright" and "Warm" were vast improvements over the Aquilas that came on them. Be sure to give any new strings a few days to settle in before passing judgement! Hope this helps.

Edit: You can get Oasis strings at http://stringsbymail.com.

Jamie

Last edited:
Firstly, it's a super concert, not a concert. Tonally, it's capable of a little more than a regular concert size model. Secondly, Red Rooster's experience with this instrument with Aquilas pretty much mirrors savagehenry's and my experience with it. Thirdly, I'd suggest you try the Fremont Blacks that savagehenry put on his that produced a dramatic improvement. Not sure I'd "experiment" with other strings unless the Fremonts are not to your liking. Can go with either low g or reentrant. Fourthly, good luck.

Thanks guys for the string suggestions. I'm going to buy a few sets of the one's mentioned here and experiment. My knowledge of Uke strings is limited to say the least.

Top Bottom