Any play one of those spalted maple Kalas?

Faricelli

Reaction score
I am a sucker for good looks and I love the spalted maple uke. I was wondering how it sounded. I live in Northwest Indiana so I don't get a chance to try anything before I buy it. I usually rely on MGM's word. He just hooked me up with a Ohana Sk-50 MG cedar top and it sounds awesome.

Nice....Very Nice

Yes I sell them so maybe I'm biased. First they are beautiful, 2nd they sound great and have loads o volume. Third It is a balanced well put together instrument thats unique. That Ohana cedar top is beautiful, I will be selling those as well. I think you have an wonderful ukulele.:eek:ld:

Tone is great. Volume is nice, not too loud. The sound is silky and sweet. I'd love to throw in a Shadow pickup or LR Baggs, but the one I have here in my den is one of the instruments that we will be giving away in a future issue of Ukulele Player.

Kala did a beautiful job with this series.

Spalted maple is very beautiful, but it will always be a laminate because the spalting is really a flaw (actually it's the result of a fungus infection, usually in dead wood) that causes soft spots in the wood. Spalted wood is okay on sides and back, but for the top you should consider a solid wood.

Overall laminates don't have the same sound reproduction abilities of soild woods, but I suspect spalted wood has additional acoustic issues because of those soft spots.

Top Bottom