Woo-hoo! My BP 5-string tenor is next up!

OldePhart

Reaction score
I just got a note from Jerry today...he's starting my five-string tenor, next. Yeeee-haaa!

If I get a chance to do a couple of videos and shoot some pics tonight I'll be putting a couple of my ukes up in the marketplace. Partially to fund the BP and partially just to clear some room on the wall.

John

Congrats, John. I hope that you enjoy your BP as much as I do mine If you ordered the ML you'll be amazed at the volume and sustain. Enjoy

Great news! You are going to love it. I think you should come to Mighty MO in July and bring it along.

(yes, I know, too soon after UWC)

Last edited:
Congrats, John! I love my BP's. Actually, I haven't bought another uke since I got my ML months ago. I may be cured of UAS! Well,......

Randy

Congrats John. What model did you get? I'm also wanting a 5 stringer and emailed Jerry inquiring about it. Please post pictures and sound samples when you receive it.

I just got a note from Jerry today...he's starting my five-string tenor, next. Yeeee-haaa!

If I get a chance to do a couple of videos and shoot some pics tonight I'll be putting a couple of my ukes up in the marketplace. Partially to fund the BP and partially just to clear some room on the wall.

John

Whats a BP and who is Jerry? :)

One day I want a 6 string baritone, but like only if I actually play for well over a year.. I've been to bad already lol!

Congrats on your new BoatPaddle. They sound awesome

Great news! You are going to love it. I think you should come to Mighty MO in July and bring it along.

(yes, I know, too soon after UWC)

Yeah...either too soon or too late...depending on how you look at it. If it was the week before or week after I could actually make it work.

John

Whats a BP and who is Jerry? :)

One day I want a 6 string baritone, but like only if I actually play for well over a year.. I've been to bad already lol!

BP is Boat Paddle - the proprieter/builder is Jerry Hoffman. Really awesome hand made ukes. The shapes are very distinctive but they are really nice and his waiting list isn't six years long (yet).

John

Congrats John. What model did you get? I'm also wanting a 5 stringer and emailed Jerry inquiring about it. Please post pictures and sound samples when you receive it.

I got the M. I wanted the extra access up the fret board (compared to the Kayak). I may get him to build me a 5-string baritone later and if so I'll probably go with the ML body but I didn't want the tenor to sound too guitarish.

John

Thanks all.

So...shortly after I posted this thread I get a real scare. I had taken vacation today to recover from helping my daughter move over the weekend so I didn't log in (I usually work from home). A coworker calls me to ask if I've gotten an email to report to the nearest business unit tomorrow to talk to an HR rep. Seems he and one other coworker had such messages from our boss' boss.

He's convinced they're being laid off...and it's possible though our immediate supervisor doesn't know anything about it and in the past they've always gone through supervisors to deliver the bad news. I think it's just a technicality - something they need to sign or what have you.

Still...it was a relief when I logged in and found no such email and no appointment with HR on my calendar... :)

John

Your boss's boss sounds like a goat's patoot.

Your boss's boss sounds like a goat's patoot.

I've only met him briefly at a team dinner when he and some others were down from NY a few months ago. Ended up sitting across from him. He seemed okay but I do know that a lot of people don't like him. I usually reserve my own judgment until I've known somebody long enough for them to prove their character to me personally. I learned that lesson years ago when one supervisor I knew in the AF had this reputation as being a real pain in the backside. I ended up getting put on his shift as his assistant and it turned out he was a superb guy...possibly the best boss I've ever had and certainly the best supervisor I ever had in the Air Force. Yes...he was hard and expected a lot but he was also fair and would back his people to the hilt and he never asked anybody to do something that he wouldn't do himself. Not many like him around in or out of the military.

Well...I guess we'll find out tomorrow what the great mystery was about. Like I said, I suspect it's some silly technicality where they have to be briefed personally or something.

John

My 5-string is being made by Rob Collins right now too (just started). 5 strings are becoming popular it seems. I'd love an BP ML 8 string one day... but a change of life coming this summer will mean I won't have the money just yet.

Congratulations John. I think Jerry makes among the very best instruments in the world.

Congrats John I have wanted a 5 string for along time, maybe one day.
All the best Steve.

Hi John,
Congrats on your 5 string BP. I have a BP 5 string concert kayak BP cocobolo/cedar and I love it! The set up is perfect. Great action.

Congrats John, I can't say enough good things about Jerry Hoffmann. He really makes unique and great sounding instruments and continues to evolve as a builder. I hope to make it to his Mighty MO uke festival in July.

Congrats John. FYI I have an ML tenor and it doesn't sound too guitar like at all and I have it strung low G.

Top Bottom