Help my index finger is turning black!

concert_pat

Reaction score
Hello All!

After getting a ukulele and starting to practice, I've noticed that my index finger on the strumming side is turning black. I have black nylon strings on a Stagg concert uke. Am I strumming too hard? I look at videos of people strumming and it looks like their finger is outstreched with all other digits just gliding off the strings very quickly. If I try anything like that I can't get the nail to hit on the downstroke.

Am I strumming too hard?!

Oh and just so I don't freak anyone out, it's actually the nylon from the strings, but is this normal?

Last edited:
Strumming too hard?

The black residue is not on your finger because you are strumming to hard.
Instead it is your strings being broken in and "Shedding" the parts that are keeping the string too rigid.

After enough playing your strings will stop leaving residue on your finger.

Hope it helps.. and check out aldrine's uke minutes for a strumming tutorial for some great tips!
Here is the link for the basic strum http://www.viddler.com/explore/ukeunderground/videos/6/

Last edited:
Thanks jtdreisb,

I am strumming right after all. I tried finding the video but couldn't figure out how to go back that far on the site!

I just thought that perhaps I was doing wrong. Thanks for the consolation! :shaka:

Top Bottom