Circle cutter

Ron B

Reaction score
I've ground a reverse bevel on the "tooth" of my circle cutter. You're probably familiar with the device meant to chuck into the drill press. It has a pilot bit and a beam with a cutter at the end of it. Adjustable for different size holes.
When I reverse the cutter so that the bevel faces the other way, I can make very clean discs out of thin stock. With repeat operations and different woods, I can glue discs into holes and end up with concentric rings of whatever widths I desire.
The question, (finally) is whether this is an acceptable alternative to inlay work for a soundhole "rosette". The contrasting woods done the way I've described are the same thickness as the soundboard, and I can align the pieces to avoid any cross-grain situations.
I'm pleased with the appearance, but are there any structural or sound negatives I might not be taking into account?
I might be re-inventing the wheel here, but I really don't understand why the tool isn't sold with at least a double ended cutter to allow the production of both straight-sided holes AND discs.
I'm considering a maple/walnut ring for the soundhole of a WRC-topped baritone with walnut sides (underway).
Thanks,
Ron

Top Bottom