Mainland Hog vs Kala Solid Acacia vs Mainland Cedar

BigD

Reaction score
I know quite a few of you guys have multiple mainlands, also i know this model kala is very popular as well. Does anyone have hands on experience with all the models directly? If so what is the core difference in the sound? I understand they are different woods, every uke differs per build, but these are my main choices for my next big step up in the ukin world! Money obviously isnt a huge deal they are around the same but i am aware i could get a nice case with a mainland if i went that way!!

I know quite a few of you guys have multiple mainlands, also i know this model kala is very popular as well. Does anyone have hands on experience with all the models directly? If so what is the core difference in the sound? I understand they are different woods, every uke differs per build, but these are my main choices for my next big step up in the ukin world! Money obviously isnt a huge deal they are around the same but i am aware i could get a nice case with a mainland if i went that way!!

I've had all three, though not in the same size. I have a Mainland mahogany tenor and soprano and I had a Mainland Rosewood/Cedar tenor. All are very good value but I gave the cedar to a grandson because I just didn't care for the cedar sound in a uke...it sounded too much like my guitars. Nothing wrong with the uke...had great volume and punch...but I just never really bonded with it.

The Mainland mahogany tenor is a good uke and good value, though not my favorite uke. The Mainland mahogany soprano is amazing. I used to say that it was the one I would take with me if I had to escape a fire, I'd save it even before my KoAloha longneck soprano. Now, the Mainland mahogany soprano has competition from my Pineapple Sunday so that decision would be a lot more difficult. And with a Boat Paddle custom on the way I suppose the decision is going to get even more muddied. :)

The Kala Solid Acacia I had was a pocket uke. IMHO it was very overbuilt. Little tiny thing and it weighed within an ounce of as much as the KoAloha concert that I had at the same time. No sustain to speak of and very tinny (of course it was tiny). I don't know if the tenors are as badly overbuilt.

John

Top Bottom