What is Mahogany ?

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last edited:
Great info for luthiers and for those of us with UAS. Thanks for sharing that!

Yes! I didn't know that Spanish Cedar is native to Mexico..Not Spain :confused:

Well, the Spaniards did wander around there a bit. ;)

(My 12 year old is studying Mesoamerica this term - it was a little more than wandering... sadly)

Hmmm, interesting to see that people are calling the Okoume instruments "mahogany" in some places. It isn't in this write up (rightfully so). It's got a similar grain but doesn't even qualify as a "fake" mahogany apparently.

Ken - my understanding is that your Martin style repro is made of Sapele grown in Africa (which is not a true Mahogany and is not on the CITES list) therefore there is no protection at this time. Having said this - it seems it has been marked as vulnerable, but still is not under protection. Indian Rosewood and Ebony are also not on the CITES list.

Thanks for link - its an interesting read, I too didnt know the true origin of Spanish Cedar...

Last edited:
Ken - my understanding is that your Martin style repro is made of Sapele grown in Africa (which is not a true Mahogany and is not on the CITES list) therefore there is no protection at this time. Having said this - it seems it has been marked as vulnerable, but still is not under protection. Indian Rosewood and Ebony are also not on the CITES list.

Thanks for link - its an interesting read, I too didnt know the true origin of Spanish Cedar...

Actually! I've just started on a small batch of 4 sopranos made from the dreaded "Honduras Mahogany" (Swietenia humilis) that Pete gave me and now I'm feeling guilty like a drug dealer.:uhoh:...I might have to smuggle them out of the UK.:)

Actually! I've just started on a small batch of 4 sopranos made from the dreaded "Honduras Mahogany" (Swietenia humilis) that Pete gave me and now I'm feeling guilty like a drug dealer.:uhoh:...I might have to smuggle them out of the UK.:)

Lol - (like a drug dealer)
Its great that you're going to do this Ken, along side what you usually use - and Such a shame that there's the worry of the possibility of having it confiscated. Some builders have had this kind of timber seasoning for years, trouble is - how do you prove how long they've had it and does that make a difference to the CITES list...? It's hard to prove the age and the original supplier, paperwork etc. but obviously you know all this, and this is why you're researching in advance.

I for one look forward to seeing the finished items, I just wish I had some too - but I would probably use it to make a Uke for myself - think I may ask Pete if there may be any more bits i could purchase. I'd love some KOA also :(

Last edited:

You seem more like an addict than a dealer to me. Building 4 ukes while taking a break from building... Nah, that's not an addict... ;)

I just hope that everyone knows that regardless what material the instrument is made of, be it Brazilian rosewood, koa, bamboo or grass clippings, it all needs to be listed and declared on the forms when shipping a musical instrument. It's not just what's on the CITES list, but everything, including shell and bone as well all the "legal" woods. (One of the makers of saxophones was all up in arms because they have to declare the cork used in the pads of those instruments.) Hey, on the positive side, it's creating jobs for someone! :(

Toon sounds like a good wood to use for instruments.....or maybe animation

To the US, yes. Certainly within the EU that does not apply, nor does it apply to most other countries - unless the material is on CITES.
It's the US that has the Lacey act.

Yes, you are correct. I was under the assumption that Ken was talking about imports into the USA. Thanks for setting things straight. Things are confusing enough.

Ah, too young to remember the Miners Strike, Orgreave and Maggie!

Pitsius Propsicus

To the US, yes. Certainly within the EU that does not apply, nor does it apply to most other countries - unless the material is on CITES.
It's the US that has the Lacey act.
But only if the item is valued at more than US$2000.00, less than that and no declaration is required. So I'll never need to fill one out.;)

But only if the item is valued at more than US$2000.00, less than that and no declaration is required. So I'll never need to fill one out.;)

That's not really true. It's just that they are not focussing their attention on lesser valued instruments at this time. But legally it is required on every instrument regardless of value. In the real world I'm betting you're safe on anything less than $2000. If the estimated value seems out of whack to the custom officers they are allowed to make their own estimate.

Top Bottom