Ohana CK35 or CK38.... or ???

FrankB

Reaction score
My wife and I want a concert size uke, just because. :D Our list included the Martin C1K, Kala SMHC, and maybe an Ohana of some sort. Elderly has a 10% off discount at the moment, so I ordered an Ohana CK-35G. Don't ask me why, but I did. It was after ordering that I did a little research, and this uke doesn't show up on the radar much.

I had a much more expensive Ohana for an hour, but it had a build flaw that caused it to be returned. The kluson style tuners were a bit notchy, but friction tuners and my wife won't get along. Is the CK-38 a better instrument for a few dollars more? I could always get geared friction tuners. Am I better off with the Martin, or another brand altogether? Elderly won't be shipping this out until tomorrow, so I can change the order without problems.

Needs:
Decent tone and volume. Pinky won't do.
A neck profile that isn't too flat. In fact, chunky is better.
Better build quality than the first Ohana I bought.

I really like Ohana ukes and own two. My concert is an Ohana CK-50GS. Love that thing. The sound, the feel, the look. Everything. I love that instrument.

As far as a thicker neck goes, the Gretsch Roots series feels more substantial in my hands. They have a deluxe Concert size in Mahogany. My husband has the tenor mahogany Gretsch and we both love it. Okay, just looked at the Gretsch Roots Collection page and they have changed the lineup quite a bit. I don't see any of the Deluxe models on the page, but I'm sure that dealers still have them. They are solid, quarter sawn mahogany.

Ohana's are nice ukes. I think the main difference between the 35G is glossy and the 38 has matte finish and "vintage" styling. There probably isn't a major difference in sound. I've been eyeballing the CK-28 myself, but I'm trying to justify having that, and my C1K, which I love.

Hi Jenny and Dan,
I'll let them ship it out and return it if it doesn't work out. I'll have to pay for the shipping, but it's only money. :D

Both of your prior posts had come up in searches for the Ohana and Martin ukes, and it's good to see you're both still happy. It certainly would be a treat to have a nice music shop nearby. I live just outside of Philadelphia, and you'd think.....

Ohana's are nice ukes. I think the main difference between the 35G is glossy and the 38 has matte finish and "vintage" styling. There probably isn't a major difference in sound. I've been eyeballing the CK-28 myself, but I'm trying to justify having that, and my C1K, which I love.

My ck-28 is light resonant and loud and crisp. probably my best concert I have. Finish is a little rough but mine sounds fantastic

I LOVE Ohana's. They're my favorite import brand. I bought my wife an Ohana too which is the PKC-25G and I love it more than her! The friction tuners on it is easy enough for her. I think for you, the CK-35G is a great choice, it's pretty. I was going to buy her that one, but the look of it didn't really do it for her because her first uke which is a laminate looked too similar. We fell in love with the pineapple which is we went for it and we don't one in our family of ukes. As far as sound between the CK-35G and the CK-38, I think there will be a diffence since one has bone nut and saddle and one has ebony nut and saddle. I would like to have the CK-38 too with Gotoh UPT Planetary tuners and if she'll let me have a second tenor uke, I want the TK-35CG. LOL.

The CK-38 is lighter, and the build is slightly different. The vintage finish gives it a less "perfect" look. But looks aside I think it is louder with a little more attack. Both are great ukes. You will get a little bit more mellow warmth our of the CK-35, and the CK-38 you will get more volume and attack.

I hope that helps. It is so hard explaining tone.
I know then the question is, which do I like more. Well... both. But, if I was keeping one for myself it would be the CK-38 because I am a loud person who likes a loud uke and friction tuners don't bother me. And I do like the lightness and I like the dark finish of the CK-38.

I hope that helps. I really need to make a sound comparison demo sometime.

yes, you do, Mim and throw in the CK-28!

I think I am out of the CK-28 right now... just checked. Yes, Yes I am! Booo! I love that one too! I think it sounds more like the CK-38 than the CK-35.

I did a demo for the SK-35 compared to the SK-38 but never posted it because it recorded where it only comes out one speaker. Doh! If I can ever get caught up I have a room I can set up a "recording studio" in! Weeeeeeeeee!

Mim, I have referred to your YouTube videos many, many times. You do a great job of playing and explaining things so that a novice player like me can understand. Still loving my SK-28 that I ordered from you. His name is Pepe'.

I think I am out of the CK-28 right now... just checked. Yes, Yes I am! Booo! I love that one too! I think it sounds more like the CK-38 than the CK-35.

I did a demo for the SK-35 compared to the SK-38 but never posted it because it recorded where it only comes out one speaker. Doh! If I can ever get caught up I have a room I can set up a "recording studio" in! Weeeeeeeeee!

Thanks for all the replies! I just came across the CK-50G on Ohana's site, but it doesn't seem to show up any where else. Sounds like a nice uke, but not easy to find. Sort of like the all Koa Ohana....

Thanks for all the replies! I just came across the CK-50G on Ohana's site, but it doesn't seem to show up any where else. Sounds like a nice uke, but not easy to find. Sort of like the all Koa Ohana....

They come in and out of stock. You will probably see them around again in the next couple months. They do have a great sound (my favorite tonewood combination) and sell out quick.

The CK-38 is lighter, and the build is slightly different. The vintage finish gives it a less "perfect" look. But looks aside I think it is louder with a little more attack. Both are great ukes. You will get a little bit more mellow warmth our of the CK-35, and the CK-38 you will get more volume and attack.

I hope that helps. It is so hard explaining tone.
I know then the question is, which do I like more. Well... both. But, if I was keeping one for myself it would be the CK-38 because I am a loud person who likes a loud uke and friction tuners don't bother me. And I do like the lightness and I like the dark finish of the CK-38.

I hope that helps. I really need to make a sound comparison demo sometime.

Hi Mim,
I called you yesterday about one of the Ohanas, and it must have been the CK-35G, because it was glossy. I looked at your ebay auctions, and it looks like it's gone. Elderly owes me a refund on a concert uke that sat in minus 0 degree weather for 36 hours (parts coming off when it arrived), so I just jumped at the CK35G there. It looks like you have plenty of CK-38's on ebay, so...... The mahogany certainly looks nicer on the 38 model. I'll call you tomorrow. We were cut off yesterday, but just about done anyway. Thanks again for your help! :)

Update:
The Ohana had shipped when I called Elderly, so I ordered a Martin C1K to go along with it. My wife is an enabler when it comes to convertibles, fly fishing, sailing, and now ukuleles...LOL! They're both supposed to be here on Friday.

Hi Mim,
I called you yesterday about one of the Ohanas, and it must have been the CK-35G, because it was glossy. I looked at your ebay auctions, and it looks like it's gone. Elderly owes me a refund on a concert uke that sat in minus 0 degree weather for 36 hours (parts coming off when it arrived), so I just jumped at the CK35G there. It looks like you have plenty of CK-38's on ebay, so...... The mahogany certainly looks nicer on the 38 model. I'll call you tomorrow. We were cut off yesterday, but just about done anyway. Thanks again for your help! :)

Ahhhh! I have 2 and 2 together now! I could not even call back. I lost signal completely. I think the cell tower was frozen. I usually have good reception. But EVERYTHING was icy yesterday.

Hi Mim,
You need a sat phone out there. :D I assumed you lost signal, and my flu left me without the energy to call back. :(

Update:
The Ohana had shipped when I called Elderly, so I ordered a Martin C1K to go along with it. My wife is an enabler when it comes to convertibles, fly fishing, sailing, and now ukuleles...LOL! They're both supposed to be here on Friday.

Sounds like a very understanding wife you have there!!! Congrats on your two new ukes!!! Yours will be one happy house, come Friday!

Sounds like a very understanding wife you have there!!! Congrats on your two new ukes!!! Yours will be one happy house, come Friday!
It's worse than that, Jenny. She's the driving force behind these purchases...LOL! The Martin will likely be hers, and I'll get the Ohana. She saw a couple of YouTube video with the Martin, and said, "I want one!" Actually, she wanted a Kanilea before that, and watched most of Corey's demos on HMS's site. On New Year's Day, she wanted to get 2014 fishing licenses. It was 12 degrees outside, and all the streams were frozen. It's been a tradition for years now, but this year was just too cold to consider it. I won't even go into the decade We spent flying R/C airplanes at her request. I left a club meeting, and she nominated me to be president of a 125 member R/C club. I was gone for 20 minutes, and found out I was voted in when I returned. People think I'm behind all of our MANY activities, but it's good old Yvonne.

Top Bottom