Double NUD! (Well, kinda) Custom Bruko Baritone and Seagull Thingy...

mr79

Reaction score
Well, after 10 weeks of waiting, my custom Bruko baritone finally arrived! (it's my first baritone, a 35th birthday present from my wife who told me to "get one you're going to keep"!). It was worth the wait though, really beautifully made... I opted for the more or less basic mahogany version, but with Schaller tuners, a pickup (for future use - never been electrified yet) and no soundhole inlay (which seemed to complicate things - I ended up ringing them and trying to say it in my very poor German: "Neine Schalloch Umrandung". Luckily the Pfeiffer's were patient and we worked it out in the end).

The only thing I didn't like was the strings, but I'd already bought some of Ken Middleton's Living Water DGBE strings so I was able to put them straight on. It sounds so nice, and when I'm brave enough I will get a clip sorted... it's an odd one, the baritone - not quite a ukulele, not quite a guitar. It has a sound all of its own, which I'm looking forward to learning.

And speaking of odd, I also got a Seagull Merlin today, which is a dulcimer 'inspired' er... instrument. It is very nicely made, all solid woods, unusual but comfortable shape, and sounds lovely, but kinda limited note-wise. Compared to a stick dulcimer it has less than half the frets! Fun to noodle on though, and I've found that with a slide you can hit the 'missing' notes, plus it has a really nice Seasick Steve sort of sound then too.

Anyhow, family more or less nonplussed at my excitement, so thought I'd share with some people who may understand my glee!

PS, sorry for the limited pics, camera is not playing - will try again in daylight!
IMG_3001.JPG

I certainly understand it - I need to do NUD posts for two ukes - plus I have a Merlin too!!!!!!!!!! It's a fun little guy, isn't it? I was actually trying to write songs using it - something I've never even thought about doing before.

Congratulations and let's have fun!!

Very nice Bruko and very nice Merlin. Is the Merlin held like a ukulele, or does it lay in your lap like a dulcimer? Very interesting looking.

Hey up,
kvehe - Yup, I could see how the Merlin would lead to songwriting, it really lends itself to improvising! Plus it looks so nice, like a giant Welsh love spoon...

Captain Simian - When the Merlin first arrived, I thought it might be a bit 'gimmicky' (albeit a very nicely made gimmick), having such a shortened scale and all, but... well, I haven't put it down for more than 10 minutes all evening! It has a really unique sound, a bit banjo-ish, a bit sitar-ish, and considering there's only 24 different notes available on it (in each tuning - you can tune them in many different ways to get different modes) it's amazing - plus I've noticed, just from using it today, that it seems to be helping my baritone playing... as though switching between the two is making me better than just playing the one (that might just be in my head though!)

Anyhow, if you can get one, I'd recommend it - the set up on mine was perfect, nice easy action, perfect intonation, and a surprising amount of volume.

Gorgeous instruments both - was the Merlin an Omega Music purchase? (I'm in awe of Matt and the team there...10/10 for customer service.)

Oh, and Ukejenny - you play it held like a guitar... but I have found I hold mine quite upright, with the nut right up level with my face!
And if anyone else has got one, try dropping the tuning of the double strings to a 'c' (DAcc), it goes all moody and tense!

Gorgeous instruments both - was the Merlin an Omega Music purchase? (I'm in awe of Matt and the team there...10/10 for customer service.)

Yes - I've never dealt with a more helpful place, although they've ruined my bank balance with their endlessly interesting stock!

Top Bottom