why go $ when you can go $$$ ?

fretie

Reaction score
I see, in your signatures, that many of you have some less expensive ukes, say in the $100 - $200 price range, mixed in with higher end ukes, like those in the $800 - $1000 + price range.

When and why would you opt to play a lower end uke when you could go with one of your higher end instruments?

I think if I am ever able to own a high level uke like that it will be all kinds of special to me, and I wouldn't want to risk dropping it just during everyday practice or lug it about travelling with me where it's liable to get damaged/lost.

You can't measure everything in $...or even $$$.

There are times when I'd rather play my Mainland mango tenor than my KoAloha Pineapple Sunday.

There are times when I'd rather play my Mainland mahogany soprano than any of my other ukes.

And, sometimes (though, granted, not often), I even like to pick up the little $30 plastic "Woodi" uke (since I filed the zero fret down for better intonation).

Just depends on my mood.

John

I think if I am ever able to own a high level uke like that it will be all kinds of special to me, and I wouldn't want to risk dropping it just during everyday practice or lug it about travelling with me where it's liable to get damaged/lost.

Traveling you have a point especially if you would have to trust it to the tender mercies of a baggage handler or, in my case, strap it to the back of a motorcycle. But, I hope I never own anything that I'm afraid to use for "everyday practice" because at that point whatever it is owns me!

John

I wouldn't. I had a whole swag of cheaper ukes but the process of buying and selling has helped me to understand what builders I prefer and so I gave away and sold off the cheaper ones and now have just a small handful of expensive ones that I play regularly and which sound fantastic to my ears. I don't understand the rationale behind buying something expensive then not travelling and playing with it for fear of damaging/losing it. Nothing irks me more than a silenced instrument. Buy the best sounding instrument you can reasonably afford and PLAY.

3 caveats: (i) cheaper ones are handy for when a curious friend or relative visits and are interested to learn. One can lend or give away and share some of the love and help start someone on their journey (ii) every blue moon there'll be a cheapo that just sounds awesome so in such an instance it makes sense to keep it.(iii) sentiment. I still have my first uke, a 25 buck mahalo soprano which I couldn't ever part with.

:2cents:

I wouldn't, either. I've owned a couple "$" ukes and while both were better than owning no uke at all, once I discovered "$$$" ukes (assuming this covers K-brands on up) the $ ukes became dust collectors, then eventually got re-homed. Ukes that go unplayed just depress me, regardless of cost.

I get the whole idea of a travel uke, but I've traveled several times with a Kamaka and it's never been a problem. I see it this way: there's just as much chance of something going wrong and my "good" ukes getting damaged or stolen while I'm away from home. My renter's policy is supposed to cover this regardless. If I travelled more frequently, or more... ruggedly/adventurously, perhaps I'd feel differently, but even then, I'd probably just find a second-hand Kamaka in less than stellar condition and use that as my travel uke.

If it has the sound, feel, and build you love, the price shouldn't matter.

My solid Koa Martin stays in the case with an oasis humidifier, it's easier to grab a laminate off the wall and strum a few songs. My KA-SLNG is decent sounding and plays nice, just that the volume and sustain isn't quite up to the C1K or the style 0 for that matter!

What Dan said.

I keep a laminate uke on the couch and noodle on it anytime I'm watching the tube or just killing a few minutes. My better instruments are in cases brought out when it is practice time.

I don't have to worry about my low end ukes. My Ohana SK-10BL gets a lot of play... a little laminte mahogany soprano. And when I perform out I play with my Kala Spruce/ Spalted Maple concert. It is my first uke. It is dinged up and is quite loves. But I have a strap button in it, can sling it on my back or set it on a table and I don't have to worry about it. That being said, I know what higher end uke I want. I am just waiting for it to be made. But it will be quite babied. I don't have to baby my lower ends.

And UAS is strong and if you want one of every size with varying tonewoods, not everyone can buy them all at the high end price point! Hehe!

[I'm sorry of this is too long or seems off-topic, I promise there is a point, and I do make it, this is not a small answer as this is something integral to all the things that I do - feel free to chastise me kindly if necessary]

Not all of us can drop serious coin on a custom or K brand from day one. Lots of times, it's a pattern of stepping stones, and this is evident in countless tales here in the UU forum. Some of us hold on to our first cheaper ukes, and probably all for different reasons.

On ALL of my cheaper ukes, I've learned how, and performed myself fine tuning procedures as needed for each instrument.

Some needed nut slots re-cut, some needed a whole new nut, some needed fret leveling and crowning, and some needed saddle or bridge work.

For example, on my cheapie $26 Mahalo U-30 soprano, I did ALL of these (thanks to excellent videos from OldePhart), and now it plays like a dream and intonation is within 3-cents up to the 9th or 10th fret.

Why bother, some might ask?

Well, I have this annoying habit of wanting to be self-reliant, and be able to maintain and repair the things I own, whether it be a bicycle, lawnmower, car, computer, or a musical instrument. It forces me to learn things, and to keep my brain from developing atrophy.

With a cheap uke, if I completely mess up and it's FUBAR, then I did not lose lots of money, and if I succeed, then not only did I learn something, but I was able to fix the intonation and playability issues on a $100 uke such that it plays like one that was manufactured to a higher standard (if it is of a certain minimum level to begin with).

Yea, I know I can spend $500 for a Martin tenor, but will the action and intonation be 'exactly' how I want it? Even if the vendor does a full setup, 'MAYBE', but if I learnt to do it myself, and understand all the mechanics and the string geometry, then I can get it perfect to my taste, and make adjustments in the future if necessary instead of paying a 'guitar tech' to do it. I have found no true luthiers local to me in NJ, and if I have to pay shipping both ways, I might as well just buy the tools from StewMac or LMII, and learn to do it myself.

It's like driving a car, but not having a clue as to how to change a flat tire or check your oil or coolant levels, or how to use jumper cables if your battery is dead, and also be able to remediate these items. Sure, you can call roadside assistance, but if you are fit and able-bodied, and you are ignorant or unwilling, it would seem careless and/or unconscionably lazy for me to not resolve the problem with my own hands. That's the way that *I* am, I enjoy DIY. It keeps me out of trouble (for the most part).

Working on indoor projects keeps me from messing with my car (with wild ideas like Doc from 'Back To The Future'), but I can do my own tune-up, oil changes, tire rotation, body work, and basically any kind of electrical or electronic repair, all by myself.

The same concept applies to my instruments.

Also, it was not until I had better instruments ($$) that I was able to really see the flaws in the ones that I had bought previously. Being able to see the good vs. the bad, IN MY own HANDS, and not in a book, or on a web site or YT video, I could better understand the issues with the instrument, and better understand HOW and IF I would be able to fix it.

This hands-on perception has also allowed me to see WHY a Moore Bettah or Mya-Moe or a Martin or a K brand might be a 'better' instrument than a Kala or a Lanikai. Without the hands-on it seems all like hype and voodoo that you can only read about here on UU.

So far out of 4 ukes that needed work, after my hands-on 'tinkering', ALL of them are better players, with significantly improved intonation, and since I've invested some sweat into them, they are truly MINE, and not something that comes perfect 'off the shelf'. These are ukes I would NOT sell.

Maybe at some point I will pursue luthery as a hobby, but first I would like to achieve a level of mastery with my playing.

Also, if I became a millionaire, I might have a different option, in that I just might be so busy living out my Bucket List that my priorities would shift and then I might allow someone else to handle my precious (to me) instruments.

Mostly, I have this insatiable desire to understand how things work and I will not rest until I do. This applies to all aspects of my life.

Holding on to cheaper instruments allows me to use them as part of the learning experience, and when they play BETTER, they are played MORE OFTEN. Over a 4 days span of time, all 6 of my ukes are in regular rotation in my hands, and all of them serve different functions.

The primary differences and purposes are, for having both low-G and high-g tuning, also having alternate tunings, as well as wanting to maintain a high degree of manual dexterity across all scale lengths.

On the same day I will play both soprano and concert, and maybe the next concert and tenor, and then maybe the next day I will OMG 'walk on the wild side' and go from soprano to baritone. :)

Hypothetically, if I replaced all the cheaper instruments with higher end ones, in order to do so with ALL of my ukes in the $400++ range, I'd be spending a ton of money, which I can not afford right now, so the cheaper ukes allow me this flexibility.

If I win the lottery, yeah, then UAS takes over and I'd instantly buy about 12 more, but higher-end ukes. (I wish - ha ha)

Until then, I nurture the ones that I already have and enjoy them all thoroughly.

-Booli

And UAS is strong and if you want one of every size with varying tonewoods, not everyone can buy them all at the high end price point! Hehe!

Now that I've written that tome in a previous post, and then seen what Mim has so concisely and eloquently said here, I understand even more why so many people here on UU just LOVE her.

@ Mim: Thank you Mim, for saying something I could not. For what you've said here is also a dormant obsession I've been trying to hide from for some time now, and is only limited by UAS funding (which is in short supply at the moment).

My two Mainlands were very inexpensive and are wonderful ukes. My cedar/rosewood soporano is here by my desk, ready to be picked up and played. My Kala was one of the very first ukes I owned, and still sounds good to me. Inexpensive doesn't mean bad and expensive doesn't mean good.

[I'm sorry of this is too long or seems off-topic, I promise there is a point, and I do make it, this is not a small answer as this is something integral to all the things that I do - feel free to chastise me kindly if necessary]

For example, on my cheapie $26 Mahalo U-30 soprano, I did ALL of these (thanks to excellent videos from OldePhart), and now it plays like a dream and intonation is within 3-cents up to the 9th or 10th fret.

-Booli

Are the video's on youtube? I wouldn't mind playing around with my cheap ukes :)

Nothing wrong with cheap ukes...if you like the sound of it, play it and keep it....too many uke snobs these days...
it's not about how much it costs, it's if you enjoy your uke t
hat matters...and how it feels and sounds pleasant to you...
it's the journey too, and trying alot of everything..such as in
life... don't deny yourself of oppertunity...

Last edited:
handy for when a curious friend or relative visits and are interested to learn. One can lend or give away and share some of the love and help start someone on their journey

Bingo Jon. That's why I have a lower end but playable uke sleeping at my house just waiting.

If you love to play the ukulele then, within reason, what you play will be secondary to the playing itself. That's my take on all this dollars and cents stuff.

Last edited:
$1000 uke, resale is $800.

$200 uke, resale is $0.

Cost of ownership either way: $200.

Play what sounds best to your ear, play it loud, play it strong; play it in the park, play it all day long. --Dr. Seuss.

$1000 uke, resale is $800.

$200 uke, resale is $0.

Cost of ownership either way: $200.

Play what sounds best to your ear, play it loud, play it strong; play it in the park, play it all day long. --Dr. Seuss.

You can play it in the zoo, you can play it on the loo
You can play it with a nicky nacky bright lime green kazoo...

Top Bottom