Banjolele!

FunkyAmanda

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone thought of the Luna Kalo 6-Inch Soprano banjolele?

I actually played the concert model at a store today, and I think with a decent setup it could be very nice. Definitely going to go in and check it out again soon.

I have kind of been lusting after a Luna Banjolele...but my local music store said the only way to get one was to pre-pay for it. I wanted to play it first...especially since it's pretty expensive. :/

I have kind of been lusting after a Luna Banjolele...but my local music store said the only way to get one was to pre-pay for it. I wanted to play it first...especially since it's pretty expensive. :/

I see you have an EF 25S in your collection Would you consider an Eddy Finn banjo ukulele if the price were right? The EF-BU2 has a flat reflector which has about a 1/4 stand-away from the bottom of the body. The soprano is an open back, but I have added the same style reflector to the back of my own personal soprano. Those who play it are pleased with the tone and volume as well as its playability.

It would not surprise me if almost all of the banjo ukuleles were made in the same factory. I know a fellow who has a Gold Tone, but also bought a similar model of the Eddy Finn. His comment was that the name was different, but the only really big difference was the price. I like the Eddy Finn open back soprano . It is very easy to add the reflector plate to the back of it to give it the sound of the more expensive EF-UB2 concert. The Aquila red strings with a low G is both sound and player friendly. If you would like to see what I have done to my soprano, I will learn how to post a picture on this site.

The Lanikai 6" is actually my one and only uke. You can see some videos of me playing it. I think my youtube is in my signature. I love it. Tighten the head a bit when you get it, and be prepared to set up the bridge.

Thanks for all the replies. I was on here last week and I saw someone post about a online store that sells the parts to make your own, but I can not remember the site or find the thread. Hopefully someone may know what I'm talking about. lol

Gold Tone makes banjo ukes too. I haven't tried their other scales, but I have a baritone and it's a nice build (although at that scale, a 10" pot would be more suitable than the 8")

Amanda, That was my post on Banjolele #2. There aren't really any sources for banjolele parts other than what banjo parts can be used. I stole parts from a broken standard tenor uke, a frame drum rim and two tunable tambourines and used an available banjo tailpiece. I made the rest of the stuff. My first DIY banjo uke was just another neck salvaged from a factory concert uke, mated to a tunable hand drum. The neck/hand drum route is the easiest way to go.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92292-DIY-Banjo-Uke

Last edited:
Hey Amanda,

I bought a 6" Soprano Eddy Finn a couple of years ago and I LOVE it! It was right at $200, and it's built by the same factory as the Lanikai 6" Soprano…just not quite as fancy, and a different skin on the head.

I changed the strings and it is an absolute blast to play. Yeah, the more money you spend, you might like it more, but if you like playing Soprano, the 6" pot really turns heads!

Let us know what you do…

Scott

I've been thinking about getting a firefly myself. My only worry is that once the tension goes in the skin I'll be left with an unplayable uke that I can't adjust.

I just purchased one and it is GREAT! highly reccommend. I had that concern but supposedly you can buy a kit that you can put splints into the banjolele to keep it in tune if it ever goes out of tune.

Top Bottom