very anxious waiting on my baritone!!!!

pixiepurls

Reaction score
... waiting waiting waiting! My first order from HMS... ordered on Friday and I think they are just slammed like crazy because I've not heard anything yet and I emailed this morning deciding to add a strap button to the bottom. The site says a week turn around so I need to just be PATIENT for a few more days :D

SO EXCITED waiting waiting! I am really enjoying my Kala SMT also. New stuff is So FUN! Can't wait for my Pono!

anyone else waiting on something fun?

and if you know of any super cool straps... point me in the general direction :D I like organic and neutral. Satin finish uke will need understated strap!

Last edited:
Leolani solid spruce top tenor, 2002 model. Hope to have it by Friday.

Slow, deep, cleansing breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth. That should help a little bit with the overwhelming dizzy feeling of waiting on goodies to arrive. This generalized nervous disorder is known as UAA - Ukulele Acquisition Anxiety.

To help you get through the anxiety of waiting for a new uke, I suggest searching for and buying your next uke acquisition. Then repeat as necessary. :)

To help you get through the anxiety of waiting for a new uke, I suggest searching for and buying your next uke acquisition. Then repeat as necessary. :)

omg heck no, I am not made of money! lol

sick kids home today.. won't be much practice for me to distract me :(

Hi Pixiepurls!

Congrats on your new baritone!

One question for you, and I only ask this because based upon your previous posts it seems you are new to the ukulele, so if this is an obvious question, I apologize (please dont hate me)-

Do you realize that the 'standard' baritone ukulele is tuned differently from the soprano/concert/tenor scale ukuleles?

Chord fingerings are the same exact shapes (same finger positions), but the chord names are different because the shorter scales are typically tuned GCEA and the baritone is typically tuned DGBE (the same as the 4 thinnest strings of a guitar).

What this means is that what would be a C chord on a soprano, is down a forth, and is in fact a G chord on the baritone - same fingering, but different name because of the baritone DGBE tuning, instead of the soprano GCEA tuning.

If you tune 'standard' DGBE baritone strings UP the 5 semitones to the 'C' tuning (GCEA) of the soprano, you might be putting too much tension on the neck and the bridge, and can cause serious damage to your baritone. It is not advised to do so unless you have strings made for this purpose, that can compensate for the tension. Damage might include warping the neck, having the bridge torn off, and the top might not only resonate improperly, but can also develop either bellying or dishing in response the the stress. While not causing immediate damage, bowing of the neck will not only make it difficult to play in tune, but your intonation is going to suffer dramatically as well.

If you want to tune and finger the baritone THE SAME as the other scales-length models of ukulele, you can get special 'baritone Linear G' strings from Aquila and Southcoast and then you dont have to learn new chord names. I have not done this myself yet, but would like to try it.

Again, I'm sorry if I am preaching to the choir, but I wanted to help in case you were in for a big surprise on why the same fingerings on your baritone and soprano will sound way off, and hopefully pre-empt some of the confusion that can occur if you are not aware of the subtle differences.

Hope this helps,

Booli

Hi Pixiepurls!

Congrats on your new baritone!

One question for you, and I only ask this because based upon your previous posts it seems you are new to the ukulele, so if this is an obvious question, I apologize (please dont hate me)-

Do you realize that the 'standard' baritone ukulele is tuned differently from the soprano/concert/tenor scale ukuleles?

Booli

Haha you are way too sweet, that would have been quiet a surprise would it not? HEHE!! Yes I knew that before I ordered it :)

I took up ukulele because I tried guitar but found the strings too hard on my fingers and the chords where you have to hit only certain strings difficult for someone who never ever touched an instrument before her mid twenties. So I picked up my lovely tenor ukulele after getting started on my kids Dolphin and when I started researching I found the amazon baritone. I believe you can put a capo on it if you want to play it exactly like a ukulele (5th fret maybe?) but I plan to play it as a baritone. You can even play the same cords but they are basically transposed, which I learned about via a Michael Lynch video that tells you how to work it out in your head for each chord. Which is basically the same info you posted above!

When I started seeing the baritones being played in videos I adored the sound because it was more like a guitar. I think thats why I prefer a tenor to a soprano also... fuller/deeper sound because of the size of the instrument. And I love the simplicity of the 4 strings, and the softer strings are easier on my fingers.

I'm learning about the "low G" and once I understand that more may change up my tenor. We'll see, I need to understand it all on a deeper level before I try that.

I read really fast, and I read a lot :) and I'm not afraid to get technical. I took shop class in middle school and built my own furniture and did quiet well at wood working, and I can hand code a few different scripting languages and have a career as an information architect. I am basically, a geek :)

My spelling and grammar is dead awful though...

Still no email update on my baritone, I am starting to get worried :(

Last edited:
Haha you are way too sweet, that would have been quiet a surprise would it not? HEHE!! Yes I knew that before I ordered it

WHEW! Thanks for not being offended. I was trying very hard to choose my words carefully, and to be more helpful than critical.

I am glad that DISASTER has been averted, and good on you for educating yourself before the purchase, some folks as beginners just dive in based solely upon their enthusiasm (and there's nothing wrong with that per se) and do not realize the differences for the baritone...I was hoping to spare you that pain...and glad to find you already had it covered.

via a Michael Lynch video

His videos are a great resource, and lots and LOTS of song tutorials. He's great.

The first uke I owned was given to me by my grandfather back in 2004, and I did not know what to do with it at the time. It is a 1950's era Harmony baritone, in surprisingly good shape. My grandparents were moving to Florida at the time and passing on lots of items to the family. I've played guitar since I was 9 yrs old, and knew nothing of the ukulele, and it sat in the closet. My grandfather passed away at 93 yrs old on 2009, and since then I had taken the uke out and tried many times to play it, but never could adapt. At the time I had a mental block coming from all the years of guitar. I know, it's weird. It should have been easier, but it took a while to unlearn the things that were in my way, coming from guitar.

My grandfather was a master piano player for foxtrot and ragtime styles my whole life, as a hobby and pastime, and his music was always an inspiration for me. I played piano and had lessons when I was younger, but was nowhere near his ability.

Back in December of 2012 I saw a video of Jake Shimabukuro doing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at the TEDtalks conference, and then another video of John King doing a Bach piece and then James Hill doing his one-man-band version of Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean', and after that I was hooked.

And I love the simplicity of the 4 strings, and the softer strings are easier on my fingers.

Now that I am more accustomed to the uke than guitar, when I have picked up my guitar it feels unnecessarily complicated. On the Harmony baritone I've currently got Worth Browns 'FAT' low-g strings (BF-LG) which is what I had on hand and are the same gauge as their 'baritone set'. They have no problem being tuned to DGBE, and the lower tension and the sweet deep sound, oh my, it's awesome. It's like melted chocolate and honey mixed together.

It is also a dream to play and very easy on the fingers...you might want to look into Worth Browns for your baritone...

I'm learning about the "low G" and once I understand that more may change up my tenor. We'll see, I need to understand it all on a deeper level before I try that.

At first I was violently opposed to re-entrant tuning and could not wrap my head around it, but now I have ukes tuned both high and low g, as well as one tuned to 'D' tuning. They all have different purposes and I love the sound of each for what it does for my ear.

I read really fast, and I read a lot and I'm not afraid to get technical. I took shop class in middle school and built my own furniture and did quiet well at wood working

That's great! maybe you will become a luthier as a hobby to help fund your forthcoming UAS, or at least build something cool for yourself. I am planning to build a solid-body 'silent' uke for late night practice with headphones since what I've seen on the market is either beyond my budget or not to my specifications. I can get all the parts for like $100 and it will probably take about 5-10 hrs to build it. Fellow UU member Daniel Hulbert has built MANY ukes and has a thread where he is offering free plans for a steel-string electric uke which you can see here, with video demo:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93014-Free-Electric-Ukulele-Plans

and I can hand code a few different scripting languages and have a career as an information architect. I am basically, a geek

I too am a geek, or nerd, my sister calls me a 'tech-head', but I prefer technophile. I've been working in IT/Computers/technology for over 25 yrs, when I exited the corporate world I was working as a global network architect/engineer (having painfully worked my way up from the lowest levels of HelpDesk)

After teaching myself Python from scratch last April to solve a problem that a friend of mine and I were bothered by, we are now in the process of launching a startup company based upon the software we have created.

Maybe some day you and I could talk shop about code.

I've been creating web sites from scratch as well for at least the past 8 yrs or so, but I've been away from it for a while now, as I've been focusing on Python, C++ and some server-side applications (Tomcat, Apache, Varnish, nginx, etc) on Linux and FreeBSD....

Still no email update on my baritone, I am starting to get worried

You mentioned Amazon. You can log in to your account, and go into your Orders, and then there should be a button to TRACK ORDER, and that should get updated between midnight and 2am with new info everyday.

However I've seen that sometimes they do not have the latest info, and you need to copy/paste the tracking number into the UPS or FedEx or USPS web site in order to get real-time updates, which you can also have emailed to you like the Amazon tracking updates.

Maybe you can have a look at your tracking info this way?

Good luck on your baritone, and please do a NUD (New Uke Day) post when you get it, so everyone else can learn from your experience...

-Booli

EDIT: My bad. I just re-read your first post and saw that it was HMS and not Amazon as your vendor. So maybe I'm just confused.

Back in Feb 2014 I called HMS to ask a question and spoke to Aaron (who has done MANY of their videos) and he was just too cool (the nicest person to me on the phone), and he told me that on average it takes at least 7 days to get everything ready before they will ship an instrument out, and if they are very busy or even one person is out sick that it MIGHT take up to 10 days before they will ship.

The main thing he stressed is that every item they sell gets the full undivided attention of the person working on it, and there's no way to make that go faster, without making mistakes. So while it may be painful to wait, there may be some consolation in knowing that your instrument is being given a proper inspection and expert setup by one of the best shops to buy from.

You can also track the order on their web site, and due to Hawaii local time being a few hours behind the mainland USA, you might still be able to get someone on the phone when you call, even if it's after normal business hours where you are located at home.

Last edited:
WHEW! Thanks for not being offended. I was trying very hard to choose my words carefully, and to be more helpful than critical.

I too am a geek, or nerd, my sister calls me a 'tech-head', but I prefer technophile. I've been working in IT/Computers/technology for over 25 yrs, when I exited the corporate world I was working as a global network architect/engineer (having painfully worked my way up from the lowest levels of HelpDesk)

After teaching myself Python from scratch last April to solve a problem that a friend of mine and I were bothered by, we are now in the process of launching a startup company based upon the software we have created.

Maybe some day you and I could talk shop about code.

I've been creating web sites from scratch as well for at least the past 8 yrs or so, but I've been away from it for a while now, as I've been focusing on Python, C++ and some server-side applications (Tomcat, Apache, Varnish, nginx, etc) on Linux and FreeBSD....

You mentioned Amazon. You can log in to your account, and go into your Orders, and then there should be a button to TRACK ORDER, and that should get updated between midnight and 2am with new info everyday.

However I've seen that sometimes they do not have the latest info, and you need to copy/paste the tracking number into the UPS or FedEx or USPS web site in order to get real-time updates, which you can also have emailed to you like the Amazon tracking updates.

Maybe you can have a look at your tracking info this way?

Good luck on your baritone, and please do a NUD (New Uke Day) post when you get it, so everyone else can learn from your experience...

-Booli

Oh yay a fellow geek, I am happiest around "my people" nice to meet you *virtual handshake* my IRL name is Brandy.

I got my Pono Bari from HMS! They are apparently taking a week according to their website but I ordered it last friday and sent an email asking if I could add a strap button a few days later and have not gotten a reply. I login daily to check the status which is still "processing" and everyone here raves about them so at this point I'm assuming things will be fine, but its weird to pay that much and then so many days later still not see any kind of status update or email that things are being worked on.

I know my Kala was setup by the guy who owns the shop I bought it from, and I am very excited to see if HMS lives up to the hype of amazing setups and I hope to get some sort of update soon.

re:code
I am 100% front end code. XHTML, Sass/LESS/JS etc. I hate JS though but I have to edit it because it's so prevalent now that apple killed Flash. I do usability work, and lots of wireframes and interaction design stuff. I can design as well as I started out a design/coder and worked my way into the IA/UX/Usability mentoring with people who had the fancy HCI degrees. Still wish I could go to GA Tech and get a degree in that would be so fun, my degree is an art degree in Multimedia.

I have no clue about OOP, I mean I understand what it is and all that and I once wrote a loop in Java just to try but I am not good with that end of the code :) it sounds like that part is your forte!

ps lots of luck on the startup, thats loads of fun... and I am sure loads of work :D

Update: just saw your update about HMS. I totally don't mind waiting 10 days but I do think they should send some sort of update e-mail so the person knows the order wasn't lost, in particular a persons first time ordering, imagine someone who ordered who doesn't read this site regularly. They should have an automatic system, maybe you can code it for em :) hehe!

Last edited:
The first time you order from HMS is the hardest, because of the waiting. But you can rest assured, every instrument ordered from theukulelesite.com is well worth the wait! Plus, they do FedEx 2-day shipping to the States, so when your new uke ships, you will receive it two days later (depending on your location, of course).

Whenever I order from HMS, I receive an e-mail immediately acknowledging the order, but then nothing until I get the shipping confirmation e-mail with a tracking number. Then I eagerly track my uke as it flies over the vast Pacific Ocean and Western U.S. on day one, and then rides the truck to my house on day two. I love it! Meanwhile, I've learned to enjoy the anticipation instead of suffering from anxiety. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom