PDA

View Full Version : Blemished Lanikai!

JJFN
03-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Need help please. Saw on Ebay a Lanikai CK-C blemished, on sale for under $90. Supposedly only minor cosmetic blemishes. Has anyone any experiences with this type of purchase. It seems legit, but mama told me "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.
PS The uke was new. JJFN

Kayak Jim
03-19-2014, 10:10 AM
If you have seen good photos of the blemishes and can live with them, as well as a uke that is not professionally set up, I'd say go for it. Butler Music is an ebay seller that has some great deals and while I have no personal experience, others have spoken favourably of their experience buying from them.

OldePhart
03-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah...Butler seems to be one of the better "second tier" mass market vendors. I.e. they aren't like the guys at HMS or Mim or what have you but they do seem pretty honest and try to describe their products accurately.

I haven't bought a blem from them but I have bought another uke from them and it was basically drop shipped in the factory box - which is what I was expecting so I had no problem with it.

Butler has been very honest in listing some ukes with significant problems on eBay and in those cases they mentioned the problems and even recommended that nobody buy the uke unless they were prepared to do some serious repair. So, if they're saying it's minor and cosmetic it probably is...unlike the guy who was buying Butler's worst basket cases and then trying to flip them in the Marketplace here as first-quality ukes a couple of months ago!

However, even a "first" CK-C could need some setup adjustment (lowering nut slots, usually) so just be aware it's not like you're getting a uke set up by a pro or anything.

John

RyanMFT
03-19-2014, 11:05 AM
I agree with OldePhart. If it is from Butler Music, they seem pretty up front and operate a legit business. I bought a gig bag from them which was listed on eBay, but I had a question so I called the shop. They were really helpful and shipped it super fast.

kvehe
03-19-2014, 11:23 AM
If it's Butler Music, yes, they're great. I've purchased two Lanikai blems from them (a baritone and a concert), and both arrived well-set-up and with less-visible blems than I expected. RyanMFT is right - they ship very, very quickly.

RyanMFT
03-19-2014, 11:29 AM
RyanMFT is right
I've been waiting six years for someone on UU to say those words....thanks Kvehe!

PhilUSAFRet
03-19-2014, 12:18 PM
They buy almost all of Lanikai's blems in US, can afford to give great deals. The pictures are often very good and blems easy to assess. Many are simple cosmetic repairs if you can't live with it the way it is. Great way to get a decent "player." May or may not need a little setup work. Butler is a reputable seller.

kvehe
03-19-2014, 12:33 PM
I've been waiting six years for someone on UU to say those words....thanks Kvehe!

Too funny! Glad to be of assistance.

Back to the topic at hand: JJFN, if it's Butler (which I'm guessing it is, since I went looking and found it) and you go for it, let us know how you like it!

Condor
03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
They shipped very quickly to the UK when I bought a Lanikai LU22C bubinga, (a limited edition) they had on a special offer a few weeks ago. Setup from the box was pretty good. I saw they had ultra cheap Kala tenors on sale for about 20 due to various blems - they seem to have amazing prices and are a genuine company.

strumsilly
03-19-2014, 01:11 PM
going Butler is a great way to get a good deal on a Lanikai, just go with the cosmetic issues and stay away from the neck issues, and buzzes if you dont knw haw to adjust action and level frets.

Ukejenny
03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
I have two Lanikai blems from Butler Music on Ebay and am very happy with both. When they arrived, I had to refer back to the eBay photos to find the actual blemishes. They looked and both play great. I would recommend Butler Music to anyone.