PDA

View Full Version : Unable to tune C string on Ukulele

Krios
03-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Hello to all the uke players on this wonderful forum,
I'm new to this forum so please tell me if there is thread like this, however I searched for it and didn't find anything relevant.
I'm a beginner and bought my first uke just a few weeks ago. It was a $50 Kala MK-S Makala Soprano Ukulele. Every was absolutely fine, I quickly learned how to tune (by ear) and started playing right away. I had to retune it every day or even every other day, but I think this is normal. A few days ago, I was retuning my uke as usual, but suddenly this one string wouldn't tune. I didn't pull or overstretched it, as far as I'm concerned.
Before I bought it, I've read quite a few reviews and a lot of them advised to get Aquila Nylgut strings, as the ones that were already installed sound not as well.
So, if I buy a new set of strings and restring it, would it fix my problem? Or is there something wrong with the ukulele itself?
Can't wait to get my hand on that beautiful instrument again!
Thanks in advance!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-19-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm not familiar with the tuners on those ukes but if there is a screw on the back of the tuner knob, tighten it a little and that should solve your problem. Easy peasy.

mm stan
03-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the UU, yes Chuckie is right, there is a little screw in the middle of the knob of the tuners to hold them in place ..
A good Idea even if you can tune by ear is buy a chromatic clip on tuner just to double check if you are new...and remember the
my dog has fleas tune as you strum down the strings..
PS. also if you loosen the strings all the way, you will have to break in the strings in again in the stretching process before the strings sound right again...Happy Strummings..

Krios
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately it didn't help. I'm not sure what these screws can change. To my mind they just regulate how hard to need to push in order to change the tuning. Tell me if I'm wrong.
So, even after tightening and playing around with that screw, it still doesn't sound right. It's not just the tuning, I think the sound of the whole string sounds weird, like muffled or something like this.
I am happy to buy new set of strings, just don't want to do it if the problem is not in the strings.

Phluffy the Destroyer
03-19-2014, 10:00 PM
It's no coincidence that the tuners are arranged the way they are. The strings are under tension and constantly pulling at the tuners. They always pull one direction, which is the direction they wrap around the tuners. Tuners are arranged so the tension caused by the strings is working against the gears. If the gears are loose, then they will turn from the tension caused by the the strings.

But you say they aren't the problem. So....

Try loosening all the strings until they are slack. Then re-tune the ukulele. If that doesn't solve the problem.... change the strings. They're cheap and it's a simple fix.

If changing the strings doesn't help, take it to a shop. There are dozens of things that can go wrong with a uke that could be minor issues causing big problems. A lot of them are impossible to diagnose without actually handling the instrument. A reputable shop will happily look at your instrument and make recommendations as to whether you should fix it or replace it. Find someone local with a good reputation. Expert, hands-on advice is probably better than an internet forum.

mm stan
03-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately it didn't help. I'm not sure what these screws can change. To my mind they just regulate how hard to need to push in order to change the tuning. Tell me if I'm wrong.
So, even after tightening and playing around with that screw, it still doesn't sound right. It's not just the tuning, I think the sound of the whole string sounds weird, like muffled or something like this.
I am happy to buy new set of strings, just don't want to do it if the problem is not in the strings.
the screws tighten the tension on the tuners to make them hold in place and not slip back and detune....try new strings..maybe martin uke strings M600

Krios
03-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Thank you all for your great replies, I will follow your advices. Hopefully everything will be ok.