Kala Archtop F-Hole Tenor?

Paul December

Reaction score
I've found some videos of one and they sound decent but has anyone here actually played one? I wonder how well they project Acoustically (unplugged) with their F-Holes, and how the tone is generally.
Musicguymic VIDEO
If you've played one in person, please comment how it compares to other Sub $300 Tenor Ukes.
Thanks,
~Paul
Damn, they look cool :shaka:
84_0.jpg

Last edited:
That's me! :shaka:

I love mine. I've had for just about a month and I'm really digging it. It gets a "whoa, that's cool" from all my non-uke playing compadres.

Here's a recent recording, Pixels & Millimeters.

Thanks, it sounds much better in this recording. Is it amplified?
The sound in the video sounds a bit muffled which made me wonder.
How would you compare the sound to other tenor ukes unamplified?
Quieter? litte/lot? bright/mellow?
Thanks,
~Paul

I tried one for about half an hour. Like any all-laminate instrument, it is not as good acoustically as a solid-wood uke. To me it had a slightly "dead" tone.

The point is that it is not really meant to be primarily an acoustic instrument. It is attempting to imitate the qualities of a jazz guitar (something like a Gibson), and it does this really well.

Kala have come up with a brilliant idea. I'd love to own one.

KEN

Thanks, it sounds much better in this recording. Is it amplified?
The sound in the video sounds a bit muffled which made me wonder.
How would you compare the sound to other tenor ukes unamplified?
Quieter? litte/lot? bright/mellow?
Thanks,
~Paul

I've been shooting my vids with a little camera called The Flip. It's a cool gadget, but the sound is horrible imo. To my ears, the sound has a flangey quality in the vids I've shot with it and dl'd to YouTube.

The recording was made with Zoom H4 using the onboard mics (so the uke is acoustic, not plugged in), and I think it does a better job of capturing the sound. If I get some time in the next few days, I'll try to make a solo uke recording ... I've been working up the bossa nova tune Hô-Bá-Lá-Lá. :)

I can't really compare it to other tenors, for this is the only one I've played. I do have a mahog pineapple soprano (also from MGM). The soprano strikes me as being a little more lively acoustically and a bit more responsive.

I tried one for about half an hour. Like any all-laminate instrument, it is not as good acoustically as a solid-wood uke. To me it had a slightly "dead" tone.

The point is that it is not really meant to be primarily an acoustic instrument. It is attempting to imitate the qualities of a jazz guitar (something like a Gibson), and it does this really well.

Kala have come up with a brilliant idea. I'd love to own one.

KEN

Ken, I think your assessment is accurate. I noticed that it sounds a bit better with a pick ... perhaps, like any archtop, this drives the top better than just playing with fingers? I'm on the fence about using a pick.

This uke has a pretty high gloss finish. When I first opened the case, I wasn't too sure if I was going to like it. I have a nylon-string guitar with a similar finish that I'm not totally happy with the sound, but I've used it on tons of gigs and recorded with it (so I guess I got used to it).

I tend to lean towards standards and the Great American Songbook tunes, and I think this uke is a good sound for it -- and aesthetically it is perfect.

Stack.... did you record it acoustically or plugged?

I like the song, btw.

All acoustic, Pippin. I put my Zoom H4 about chin high and hit record. Since I'm getting over a cold, it took about two or three takes just get through without having a coughing fit.

I'm glad you like the song! Not too often does one gets to work millimeters into a tune about football.

As I mentioned, I have a soprano pineapple -- I've had it for about a year. I played it occasionally, but it didn't really speak to me, if you know what I mean. This archtop tenor has really got me stoked. I've been uke-mad for the last month.

Check this out. I've got this old unknown archtop from 1935 (date stamp inside says so) that I've had for around 15 years. This guitar needs some TLC by way of a set up and other things. Eventually, I'll get a shot with it and the uke.

Image045.jpg

Last edited:
I owned one for about a week. My basic feeling was that it sounded pretty good, but I eventually had to admit that the all-solid mahagony model (with the normal poho shape) sounded so much better acoustically that it was well worth the extra $50. So I exchanged.

I guess I would say I came to the conclusion that the "jazz" uke looked much better than it sounded. I also agree with the others who are saying that the high gloss finish was a bit too glossy. It just doesn't resonate as well as the thinner finishes.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, I just think you can do better soundwise....
C

Last edited:
I owned one for about a week. My basic feeling was that it sounded pretty good, but I eventually had to admit that the all-solid mahagony model (with the normal poho shape) sounded so much better acoustically that it was well worth the extra $50. So I exchanged.

I guess I would say I came to the conclusion that the "jazz" uke looked much better than it sounded. I also agree with the others who are saying that the high gloss finish was a bit too glossy. It just doesn't resonate as well as the thinner finishes.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, I just think you can do better soundwise....
C

Nah, I don't think you're being a Debbie Downer. Solid review imo.

I've played this once with another guitarist (steel-string). He was cool and strummed his guitar with his fingers so that there could be some balance between it and the uke. I'm not too sure how this uke would hold up in an acoustic uke jam. Probably not too well, but I haven't put it through the paces yet.

I play at least two gigs a week, solo git/vox, playing standards and various tunes. I did around 125 last year. I've wanted to add a uke to my sets, but I wanted something as distinctive looking as my Gitane D500 (I'd love to find a uke that has the Selmer look). I've added a Schatten pup to the guitar and my vox and git run through an amp/PA. Along with the looks, I wanted something that I could plug in at my solo gigs. This archtop tenor checks all the boxes for me: cool looking, A/E, makes me want to play it. :)

While this is my main uke, I plan on getting something with a stronger and more lively acoustic presence ... Pono, Mainland, maybe another Kala? Or maybe even a reso uke! Oh, and I really want an Eleuke, too. :cool:

This is my gateway drug.

I've got the black one with a solid spruce top, laminate back and sides.
I love the sound. It's a bit quiet on the unplugged side, but thats fine with me. I love the sound plugged in.

Top Bottom