In Praise of Pocket Ukes

Ukuleledad

Reaction score
Pocket Ukes 001.jpgI'm in danger of PUAS here!

Seriously I've allways had a soft spot for the 'sub-soprano' and I've had a few over the years.

The iUke is not to everyones taste but it is FUN and for me that's what the whole uke thing is about.

The Tanglewood I just picked up today. It seems great value for money (£40) and looks well made. The action is a little high and the strings are going to take some time to settle but both will be put right soon.

The last uke in the picture is a cheap Asian import that cost $40 or so. It was unplayable on arrival but it did not take me long to knock it into shape - and I'm NO expert.

That is my point these these can be seriously cheap, are easy to work on, very portable (I took the iUke to France on a plane in my inside pocket) and they make people smile!

What strings do you put on them? I have one and wanted to swap out the strings but wasn't sure which to try with a pocket uke.

What strings do you put on them? I have one and wanted to swap out the strings but wasn't sure which to try with a pocket uke.

Hi, they all have Aquilas - but it's all in the tuning!

The iUke is tuned gCEA but it's got special 'sopranino' strings tuned an octave above the usual.

I've been playing around with the Tanglewood and it seems to suit adf#b.

Although it was cheap, the other Uke is quite robust and works well tuned cfad.

It's all a question of experimenting & finding out for yourself what sounds/plays the best - good luck!

Thanks! I tried tuning it to cfad at first but didn't like the sound as much. gCEA felt like there just wasn't enough tension. But adf#b sounded great to my ears so I'm leaving it at that. The reason I ask about strings is that I bought mine off eBay from Bruce Wei and it said on the listing that Aquila strings would be on it but it just doesn't feel like aquilas.

How close are the frets compared to a regular soprano? I wonder if my fingers would be a squished up trying to play it. They sure look fun.

How close are the frets compared to a regular soprano? I wonder if my fingers would be a squished up trying to play it. They sure look fun.

The difference isn't all that much - 1/4 inch less maybe. You soon get used to it and a lot of things (like barring) are a lot easier.

I agree with you about the size! It's what makes playing them so much fun!! --Which is what ukes are about, …. Right???

I'm gonna take some pics and post a new thread about how much I like the 'little' ones. Good points, good fun, I agree.

Scott

Top Bottom