Replace geared tuners

Status
Not open for further replies.

savagehenry

Reaction score
Has anyone ever replaced their geared tuners with friction tuners or pegheads? I have a concert that I'm thinking should loose it's geared tuners. I guess it's mostly for looks, but I have pegheads on my six string and I love them.

I just replace the geared tuners on my Kala Long neck soprano. It took about 15 minutes. I didn't have to modify the holes on the headstock so it was a very simple swap.

Kurt

What tuners did you use on your Kala? I was looking to change the tuners on my kala ka-15s. I wonder if i could use the same ones you used?

There won't be any other tuner that you will put on it which will be as light as PEGHEDS. They have been in service for 15 years on concert grade instruments that can have a bow alone cost more than an old Martin 5K. My price for them is $55.00 a set, plus $5.80 priority shipping in the USA, and $20 in Canada. The rest of the world is about $30. There are two models. One has a 19mm shaft which goes through the headstock that is less than 15.5mm , and the longer ones for thicker than 15.5mm since its length from the end of the string post to the base of the button is 27.5 mm.

I do not like geared tuners with buttons out the sider for looks or the way they fit--or make ukes not fit into many cases.

Never ever found that side sticking geared tuners have made a uke not into a case... but aside from that

Yes - have fitted frictions onto ukes that came with gears. Some fit right in, but in another case I needed to ream the drill hole a little wider. Not a big job though

I've removed geared tuners and replaced them with friction pegs. The holes were too large for the new pegs, so I had to fill with wooden plugs and re-drill. It was not an easy job, as I do not have a pillar drill. To ensure that the new hole was central and not skew-wiff, I made my wooden plugs from quarter round rod. Before gluing the four pieces together to form the round plug, I sanded the edge from the 90 deg angles so that it left a small square hole through the centre. This acted as a guide for drilling the hole. It worked like a charm!

I replaced the standard tuners with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickle-plat...trument_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5406809ad1

The holes that Kala drills in the headstock leave plenty of room and I didn't have to do anything other than remove the old geared tuners and put these in. They have a spring in them which I found interesting. I'm still getting used to them but now that the new strings have settled in they work great. I am sure I will need to adjust the tension of the screw over time but I do like the looks of the uke better.

Kurt

Never ever found that side sticking geared tuners have made a uke not into a case

I just bought a sweet Crossrock uke case, hard pvc shell with a very snug furry interior. My eared uke only fits in if I put the head in first, then secure the body- body first and the ears won't squeeze past the padding (or I won't risk it at least).

Yes the holes are noticeable but I have not filled them in yet.

Kurt

btw - is it impossible to discuss tuners without an advertisement post from Pegheds?

My comment was about the statement that side gears will not fit in many cases.

I have about 20 hard cases in the house at present - all my geared tuner ukes fit just fine. Never come across a problem.

Have a few that are tight, but that is no bad thing if you put the headstock in first as you say

I suppose regular friction tuners would be the easiest to install. What do you guys think of the Mainland Deluxe friction tuner, Mainland sells them for $19.95.

Only if I happen to not read the post. Perhaps you might have noticed, they are not, like some people's post with an ongoing advertisement , they are specifically tuner question directed. PEGHEDS will be introducing a chrome plated version and possibly interchangeable buttons. Do you know of any other tuners which are good enough to be used on concert grade violins, violas, cellos and contrabasses as an upgrade?
Do you know of another tuner that warrants the product to work(short of abuse) or they will be repaired or replaced?

btw - is it impossible to discuss tuners without an advertisement post from Pegheds?

No, it is not impossible, just highly unlikely. They are a very viable alternative to those who want the looks of a peg with the convenience of a geared tuner. Do I advertise what I do with every post regardless of the topic? I don't, but how about you? It seems inconsistent to me..but perhaps it's just British humour.

Know why Mim, Andrew and the other traders don't weigh in with their best deal and pimp their products on every post where a ukuele is mentioned?

They have some class.

Closing this one now at request of the OP, thanks all for your contributions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom