Why you need to be in a ukulele group

ichadwick

Reaction score
Amen to that!!! I couldn't find one, so I started one. Great fun.

The fact that I am in a group makes me practice and improve so I don't let the others down. It is also great fun
Cliff

Agreed! Our group meets weekly and I try not to miss it, it's great fun and being in Sun City, we get 40+ in the winter and even though summer meetings maybe only 10+/- we can still play some music and have fun! We do some concerts and shows and occasionally have open mic' nights.

We have a gig coming up at a folk festival in April. There are about 25 regulars. Some relative beginners (raising my hand) and a few very good musicians. We meet every week. It really feels good to sing and play in a group

get thee to a uke group

I'm a member of the CC Strummers out of the Culver City Senior Center started by Cali Rose (http://calirose.com/), a very accomplished player and teacher. Just last week she read us that story, she's great at giving us all kinds of positive reinforcement. There are over 120 members and we meet twice a week, Monday afternoon for beginners, Thursday morning for intermediate, about 30-40 show each time. I go both days, and at 64, I think I'm one of the youngest.

I helped shoot this video Cali put together (Cali is in the middle, I'm in a light shirt to the right):

Last edited:
Right. That explains it all then. There's a bunch of folks who meet in a pub every Monday night. I need to start going along...

Thanks for the shout-out Michael. We do have a lot of fun an make sweet music in our group!

I'm a memberf of TBUS, the 3rd or 4th largest Uke Club in America. I can't say enough for belonging....it's been loads of fun, and I have several really good new friends. Our activites, especially our annual festival, are awesome! Ther's something to do at least twice a month....

I couldn't find one, so I started one.

After months of looking around for other uke players or an established group in my area to satisfy my related social longing, I guess a "really" established local group should be in the works if I want my passion to be sustained (at least locally). Yes, there is a Facebook group hereabouts but as it is ~ its only active, online. Period.

This coming local school break (a good two months of summer time here in the country, minimum), my two kids and I are planning to hold an initial 2-hour or so basic uke workshop-clinic using materials sourced out online and adapted to suit our local capabilities. The primary goal is to let people hereabouts to be aware that there is/are local uke players and that collectively, this can be hopefully sustained. Whether one or two or none will come in response to our invitation, we will push through with it. In my thinking, its one way of making our local uke players or those who might be inclined to be and do so be aware that an "established" group is actually existent in the area. :cool:

The initial response to this will spell the way for our next related plans.

Its just "miserable" playing by your lonesome and with your kids most of the time. The good thing ~ UU is just a click away! Yeah.

CONTROVERSIAL VIEWPOINT WARNING....
;)

I have never been in a large uke group / club in the sense that is being talked about. I actually find the sound of too many ukes strumming at once very irritating and never really understood the attraction.

That said - I DO like playing with others and play in a band with 6 people. But they are not all ukes, and we try to limit the max number of ukes playing at once.

never really understood the attraction.

That said - I DO like playing with others and play in a band with 6 people. But they are not all ukes, and we try to limit the max number of ukes playing at once.

Yeah I get it baz. You limit the number to six at once, right? :eek:ld:

Never understood the attraction? Well, as someone who is on the eve of going to his first ever uke group meeting I'll tell you why I find the idea appealling and why I think such groups meet three different needs at once (i) lonely people looking for companionship (ii) musicians starved of musical company (ii) people looking to make new friends with people of like mind.

I happen to belong in all three of these categories so I'm kinda exicted. We'll see I guess...

:cheers:

Top Bottom