NUD - Mike Pereira Custom Soprano #143

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
As part of my indoctrination into all things ukulele, I figured I better try a soprano. I had been looking to score a used Kiwaya KTS-7 to no avail and then found @coolkayaker offering his Mike Pereira Custom Soprano. After nearly a week of daily visits to look at the pictures he had posted, I thought that was a sure sign that it had smitten me. I don't judge a man but the size of his uke, but -- to me -- a lot of sopranos just look, well, feminine. This uke has a particularly masculine look about it to me.

I made the purchase (flawless transaction; thanks Steve!) and it arrived today. But only because I hunted the mailman down. I was home but received a failed delivery attempt notice. Off to the post office I went and they told me it was still out. Wait another day? I think not. So I stalked my neighborhood and found my friendly postman. It was his uke or his life and thankfully he was very nice about it.

The uke has Honduran Rosewood back & sides with a sapwood skunk stripe. The top is a really, really, really nice Bearclaw Sitka Spruce (trust me, the pics don't do it justice) with a Rosewood rosette. Eye candy includes Maple binding w/ Ebony purfling on the top, Maple bound Ebony fingerboard & Ebony bridge. The headstock has Honduran Rosewood/maple/Ebony overlay. Gotoh deluxe style friction tuners. Oil varnish. Currently strung with Fremont Blacklines (medium) but I will surely experiment.

My early impression is it's a beautiful instrument with excellent craftsmanship. It has a rather large body, which makes it more comfortable to hold than others I've tried and gives it very nice projection. I have played very few sopranos, so I cannot offer much comparative opinion on the sound. I will say that it sounds warmer and more full with less brightness than other sopranos I've played or heard.

I'm not sure why Mike Pereira stopped building, but the uke world is missing an excellent craftsman as long as he is on a hiatus from building instruments.

Given the other thread where quite a few people "re-discovered" the soprano from larger sizes, I'm motivated to really give it a shot despite the fretboard feeling "itsy-bitsy" to me at this point.

Eddie, you are a joy to work with. Thanks. Your photos are phenomenal. You sure know how to take a picture.

I guess I didn't know Mike stopped making his well-respected ukes. Forever? You spoke to him recently, I think. Any idea why?

(P.S. Your hardwood floor is a heart-stopper. Wow!)

Every time I say I'm done with sopranos, I see something like this. Beautiful and congratulations!

@tattoobabaloo and @kvehe. Thanks!

@coolkayaker1. Yes, that was a painless transaction. Thanks so much. I did correspond with Mike. In my last exchange, I asked why he stopped building and if the thought he'd start again but have not yet heard back from him. Will update if/when I do.

Total stunner Eddie!!!! Looks masculine ya reckon? Yeah, I agree, think it's the narrow upper bout and the wide lower bout, also the chunky, deep body. I love it bigtime. That said, I really do prefer the feminine looking ones LOL :p

Last edited:
Aloha Eddie,
congrats on the MP...looks awesome....I did not know mike stopped making ukes, I know he is the man who supervises in the national guitars workshop where he works....
he may just be building less now he is back there to work...Happy strummings.... I also like femukes....nice to hold ;)

Thanks, everyone. I'm really surprised -- pleasantly so -- by the depth of the tone on this uke.

@bborzell: That's good news to hear!

My SCO is itchin' to get scratched. The Fremont's on there are past their prime, plus, I prefer more tension that what these offer. Since I've only had tenors until now, I had to order strings. Have some Acquila Reds (both high and low g) and Pro-Arte's on their way. I'll get around to ordering some Living Water, too.

Top Bottom