Soprano Body Weight

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just put this Soprano body together..Back and sides .075" Top .0625"
all hoduran Mahogany.
I decided to weigh it just to see how it compares with other woods...132 Gram's (4.6 oz)

Why, it's a feather weight, it is, practically the hummingbird of ukuleles. How deep are your ukes, btw, you know, how wide are the sides?

Following sanding prior to applying FP...it now weighs 126 gram (4.5 oz)...6 grams sanded off...I expect it to go up again quite bit after a few coats of shellac :)

Matt the sides are 2 1/4" at the butt end..and 2" at the neck end..and around 2 5/16" at the waist.

Last edited:
I have only an old mechanical postal scale that measures imperfectly, but shows relative weights.
I've been keeping track of the weights of sopranos I have, or have had. My Timms comes in very light. (BTW, I'm really happy to have snagged it.)

Loprinzi cedar/mahogany — 11 oz
G-String matte koa — 11 oz
Favilla mahogany — 11 oz
Timms mahogany — 11.25 oz
imua koa — 12 oz
VanPelt redwd/walnut — 12 oz
Black bear koa — 13.25 oz
Kamaka (w/strap button) — 14 oz
Wm King cedar/koa (w/oversize tuners) — 14 oz

Last edited:
Well ! it's now almost completed I put some strings on to see what it sounds like, and it plays great, sounds very much like my original Martin...Final weigh in at 293 grams (10.3 oz) Honduran mahogany body, African Mahogany neck, Ebony fret board, and Pegheads....It still needs a bit of finishing and then I'll try and find it an owner. ;)...(in comparison the Martin weighs 306 grams.)

Last edited:
Nice work Ken!

This uke has to be one of the prettiest you have made Tim, really a classic.

Instant classic.

Nice work Ken. Like the Peghed look. Which size did you use? And what's the taper on them?

Instant classic.

Nice work Ken. Like the Peghed look. Which size did you use? And what's the taper on them?

They are the 7.5mm type ..I got these from Pete Howlett .. it's the first time I've fitted any of these...I got the micrometer out before I fitted them and checked the dimensions..the first 1/2" was almost parallel at 7mm with the Left and right hand theads having a slight taper..I experimented on a scrap piece of wood before I tried them on the uke..and I found a 7mm hole carefully drilled made a great fit, I only used the taper reamer just to remove a little FP from inside the hole at the rear of the headstock...These are fitted dry at the moment without the drop of glue I've heard mentioned...They seem to work fine ..maybe I'll find out more about them at
a later date.

Last edited:
Just weighed an identical soprano body..same thickness and same internals..but this time Brazilian mahogany top back and sides @ 142 grams = 10 grams heavier :)

Top Bottom