NUD Martin C1K ..... and Another..

FrankB

Reaction score
They both came from Elderly not long ago. The Martin is flawless, loud, and has a rich tone. The Koa is nicely book matched, but I did specifically request a good looking ukulele. The C1K pictured on Elderly's website has a huge amount of curl on the A string side, and none on the other half. The frets are lower and more narrow than I expected, but it's very easy to play. Someone did a review, and said Martin used guitar frets. This is not the case here. Intonation is as close as it needs to be, i.e. it's exactly as it should be. I didn't use a strobe, or anything from NASA, just my clip on tuner and ears.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm looking at the frets, and they are all crowned beautifully, and identically. That is not the case with the uke below.
Its frets were leveled, but barely crowned in some quick fashion. Most of that uke's frets still had a flat top. Neither uke buzzed anywhere along the fretboard, and both were set at just below 3mm at the 12th fret. It should be noted that the Martin has 12 frets to the body, but that's what I'm used to with classical guitar. I really don't see playing that high with a concert ukulele, and it suits me fine.

The second was an Ohana CK-35GS. Volume is just adequate, and tone is slightly better than the Cordoba 15CM I bought yesterday for my niece. Fret work was crude, but the tuners worked better than the last Ohana I bought. The nut is glued to the fretboard, and does NOT have a slot. I've seen this done on budget guitars before, but the Martin and Cordoba have very nice nut slots. How long could it take to cut one? There are a few spots on the back were the wood was sanded too much, leaving flat spots, and finish was drop filled in several places. The saddle was much too thin for the slot. Other than that, it certainly looks nice on the outside. One peek inside quickly revealed this:
image.jpg

The Martin stays, and the Ohana is most likely going back. That'll be up to my wife. I'd buy another Cordoba 15CM for $99 rather than the Ohana, however. It has better fretwork, a bound fretboard, and probably as much volume as the Ohana. The Cordoba is larger, and wouldn't even begin to fit in the Stagg tweed case I bought. Both the Martin and Ohana fit in there nicely. It could be the Cordoba's larger body that gives it a fuller sound than the Ohana. I'll probably back track, and say the Ohana has more volume than the Cordoba, but I'm going by memory of playing it for two hours last night. The Ohana has more resonance, that's for sure.

EDIT: The Martin has a much wider nut width than the Ohana, and also the Cordoba (from what I remember). It's not so wide that barring is a chore, but is wide enough that large fingers don't touch the other strings when playing in the first position. The Ohana and Martin have very similar neck profiles, but the Ohana stays flatter over a greater length. There's very little difference when playing both.

Last edited:
Great review, and the wood on that Martin is gorgeous!

Scooter

Nice score. So will you be posting that NASA strobe on the Marketplace? Mine's on the fritz.

The NASA strobe was sold on ebay...LOL

When I looked at the display C1K on Elderly's site, I had a strange feeling that I'd be getting that specimen. I bought another uke from them last week, and asked that I not get the one pictured. They said I'd get a different one, but that's what they sent, and it had problems. They more than made up for that with this nice Koa! My wife and I have been playing it all night. It has the ukelele sound that our tenors lacked a bit, but is still a rich sounding instrument. My wife has been using a strap on her tenor, but easily plays without one on the Martin. I'm not drilling end pins into that nice wood! :D

I might try the Ohana one more time before sending it back. A better set of strings might do wonders.....

nice looking C1K, enjoy!

You sure got a pretty one! I saw a T1k at my local guitar center and it sounded great, but looked like plywood. Too bad they are not all as nice as yours.

I'm waiting for that Martin model at our store at the moment, seems to be none going in the UK at present. Even more excited to get it now after this. You mention volume on the Ohana, but what do you think of the tone?

Hi Matt,
The Ohana has been packed and unpacked 10 times since yesterday....Seriously! The volume is low-ish, and it has Aquila strings. With a set of Oasis strings, it could sound very nice. It's a little banjo like at the moment, but I just never had a resonant uke that didn't sing better without Aquilas. I'd rather not mess with a string change, if I don't think I'm going to keep it. I just played the two ukes side by side before reading your post, and the Martin doesn't have the most lyrical tone I've ever heard, but it's good and the volume is great.

Elderly wants their instruments back pretty quickly if you don't intend to keep them, and it's not like Guitar Center's 30 day return. Too bad, because I would try a string change. I could wait until Monday to return the Ohana, and I have lots of string brands here. It's something I really want to like, and the frets could be polished up just fine. I could even have a nut slot filed into place. Fedex closes in 5 hours, so...

I put Worth Clears on the Martin, and was surprised at how much thicker they are compared to Martin strings. The Worth C string isn't nearly as stiff as the Martin C string, so that's nice. The intonation on the A string dropped 20 cents at the 12th fret, so I filed a greater angle at the nut slot. That helped to keep it within @ 3 cents at the 12th fret, but time will tell whether these are the strings. They're a little too brash at the moment, but have only been on for a few hours. I'll give it a couple days, and then try some Oasis. I read Barry Maz's review of the C1K, and he ended up with Freemonts.

Henry,
This is the C1K I specifically asked the Elderly salespeople not to send:
image.jpg

That's just goofy looking.....

Last edited:
Frank B - Is the Martin C1K for sale? I'm a little confused. If so, could you send more info. Can't get your attachments to come up. Tks - Victoria

My instruments are always for sale. ;) I don't know why the pics aren't showing up....???? I'll take more, and post them.

image.jpg
I don't know what's up with the forum, but there's a pic I just took. I was able to post and read my PM's, but I couldn't respond without resetting my password....???
And a couple of others:
image.jpgimage.jpg

I made a 10 minute YouTube video, but that's still uploading. Here's one I did to demo Oasis strings for someone here: http://youtu.be/5HL9q_mxqYk I'm wearing the same shirt today, but not the jacket. :D

Top Bottom