Need Help, Leolani Model ID

WashAshore

Reaction score
Can anyone ID this model??? It's a Tenor.

Just arrived! Bought it used on the bay. I have been trying for days to ID the model, even sent
an e-mail to Leolani, no response.
Solid Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides, nice binding, super neck and frets. Easy to play,
sounds very nice. The sealed tuners still have the plastic on them. The only blem is a small chip
at seven o'clock on the sound hole, no big deal, I got it REAL cheap. Any help will be appreciated.
DSCF1723.jpgDSCF1715.jpg
DSCF1714.jpgDSCF1717.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck finding the Model number. It was probably made in the same factory as the same model Kala, which is also discontinued. I saw one for $167. HMS used to sell them, maybe they can help? Hopefully, a UU member has one. They were popular and sound great....pretty too.

Thanks Phil,

The headstock is shaped like a Kala. I did find Spruce top Leolani's that are still available
but none with the same binding or puflin around the sound hole. The sticker inside has no
serial number or model name. Does anyone know if this is a common practice?

Have you been on the website of Leolani to see if it is still in production? My first contact with Leolani was to call them on the phone. The woman (Anita) who answers is one of the owners, and if she doesn't know the answer, her husband will.
(if you have unlimited long distance calling, calling Hawaii costs no more than just across the street.) All of the Leolani line that I have for sale, all have a serial number on a paper tag glued to the bottom. There is a copyright date of 2002 on it. My own personal long neck soprano is 4 years old and has a serial number.

My mahogany LNS has plastic tortoise shell binding. When I tried to order some, Anita told me that at that time they were not available from the factory. They came with an ivory coloured binding. So, yes it can be the same as a current model with
cosmetic differences..

I am not fond of gears with ears on my ukuleles, so I removed them and put on
PEGHEDS. There is no difference in sound, but the balance and overall weight are a change for the better. www.pegheds.net

Last edited:
I give up! I sent an email with pictures to Leolani, got an answer from Anita with none of the information
I asked for. I guess I'll never know what model designation it is, or if it even has one. No serial number
either. I love it anyway.

WashAshore, you got the bottom line right! "I love it anyway"

in cases like yours, it amounts to how you feel about it. It's like someone who won't
buy or wear a pair of shoes (even if it fits and is comfortable) because the label says
it's 2 sizes too large or too small. Bottom line, for me is, if it fits, great. if it doesn't,
it doesn't matter what the label says, it doesn't fit!

Of course, you'll need to have your story ready when others who like your uke ask the
inevitable question, What make and model is that? Do they still make it? etc. :)

I'm happy you like/love it!'

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom