PDA

View Full Version : Slip slidin away

Icelander53
03-22-2014, 07:35 AM
"The nearer your destination the more you're slip slidin away"?

My ukes tend to run away from me while I attempt to play. They slip out of position pretty constantly. Is this something that all/most beginners deal with? Does it fix itself with experience? Can you share some ideas or tips for working with this issue. My practice partner who is a beginner also experiences this so I'm thinking it's common. It's constantly frustrating me. :(

CJay
03-22-2014, 10:26 AM
It happened to me too. My solution is a 72 inch shoe lace tied into a large circle then looped into itself under the strings on the headstock. I slip my right arm through the loop (think uke leash) and problem solved for $2.

PhilUSAFRet
03-22-2014, 11:14 AM
I try to either wear a short sleeve shirt, or a non-slippery fabric when I'm going to be playing. Minimizes the problem.

Icelander53
03-22-2014, 12:48 PM
I have a leash and it still happens, just not as bad. I was wondering if time and practice usually corrects this or if I'm really doing something wrong?

Icelander53
03-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Ok I'm going to wear my sandpaperyest shirts tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Neal
03-22-2014, 01:26 PM
If you decide not to wear a strap, and if it's a soprano or concert, heck, even tenor... you can definitely learn to play without, over time. A piece of that stuff you put under rugs behind the uke will keep it from slipping, and don't wear long sleeves.

PhilUSAFRet
03-22-2014, 01:40 PM
If you decide not to wear a strap, and if it's a soprano or concert, heck, even tenor... you can definitely learn to play without, over time. A piece of that stuff you put under rugs behind the uke will keep it from slipping, and don't wear long sleeves.

Careful, that waffle foam stuff may be harmful to some finishes.

Icelander53
03-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm just going to assume that it's something that I'll work out over time. I mostly sit to play and that's where the issue mostly occurs. I have straps when I stand which is rare and that's not so bad.

Ukejenny
03-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Mine still slip slides around while I'm playing. I would like to know what kind of pad Jake Shimabukuro uses on his sound hole when he uses a uke thong or whatever kind of neck strap he uses. That would be great for me, but I don't want the hook down in the sound hole without something to protect it.

Flaky
03-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Mine still slip slides around while I'm playing. I would like to know what kind of pad Jake Shimabukuro uses on his sound hole when he uses a uke thong or whatever kind of neck strap he uses. That would be great for me, but I don't want the hook down in the sound hole without something to protect it.

Most of the uke thongs have some sort of padding on the inside of the hook portion to protect the finish.

Ukejenny
03-26-2014, 01:19 PM
It happened to me too. My solution is a 72 inch shoe lace tied into a large circle then looped into itself under the strings on the headstock. I slip my right arm through the loop (think uke leash) and problem solved for $2.

I'm trying to come up with a contraption that will work like that, but will loop again around the waist of the uke instead of my arm. I like my uke leash, but I think centered support would allow me freer movement of both hands. Still trying to think of what would be a good way to do this. Your shoestring idea is great.

CJay
03-26-2014, 01:35 PM
I tried it with the shoelace going around the center of the uke but didn't find it all that comfortable. It did work but just wasn't my cup of tea, but it may be what your looking for.

KevinV
03-26-2014, 02:05 PM
I tend to sit with my right foot raised up a bit and resting on something. This creates a perfect resting spot on my right upper thigh for the lower bout of the uke. The back is tight against my stomach, my right arm is across the soundboard, and the neck rests comfortably in my hand. I actually don't even need the left hand to keep the neck up. No slippage.

actadh
03-26-2014, 07:05 PM
I tend to sit with my right foot raised up a bit and resting on something. This creates a perfect resting spot on my right upper thigh for the lower bout of the uke. The back is tight against my stomach, my right arm is across the soundboard, and the neck rests comfortably in my hand. I actually don't even need the left hand to keep the neck up. No slippage.

Interesting. I play with the left foot raised and the ukulele resting on the inside/top of my left leg. Playing in fleece pajamas helps, too.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
03-26-2014, 10:53 PM
A piece of that stuff you put under rugs behind the uke will keep it from slipping,

That sounds a great idea, I tried a piece of velcro stuck to the back of the uke with double sided tape but it was ruining the front of my fleece so I took it off. I was considering a piece of felt [thinking 'fuzzy felt'] but I have some of that non slip stuff :^)

dickadcock
03-27-2014, 02:19 AM
Our Fluke has Grip Strips which work very well. It came with them because it was a showroom model, but they now sell them, 2 sets to a pkg. for 5 bucks.

I don't know of interaction on wood finishes, but perhaps someone on the forum does.

http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm

sirwhale
03-27-2014, 03:27 AM
get a strap

Icelander53
03-27-2014, 06:23 AM

I'll try it out, thanks, I'm going to do a search for my fleece pjs too. Might be a problem when playing at family gatherings though.

Spud1$
03-27-2014, 03:31 PM
I say get a strap and a strap button so you can spend time playing and not juggling! It was a huge relief to me.

BigMamaJ40
03-27-2014, 04:11 PM
If I am playing sitting down, I use an old lap dulcimer player's trick: cut a 6" x 2' length of Rubbermaid-type shelf liner and drape it over the knee of choice. Rolls up easily to fit in your case, and does not stay in contact with your uke long enough to negatively effect even a nitro-finished uke.

CasanovaGuy
03-27-2014, 10:13 PM
I just sort of "pinch" the ukulele between my forearm and body. If I'm picking, I find myself holding the body of the uke with my picking hand, so it usually isn't a problem unless I'm constantly moving my fretting hand from one side of the fretboard to the other. If I'm strumming, it shifts, but I just use my strumming hand to readjust it between chord transitions if the uke falls too low. It's easier with straps or leashes or other modifications, but playing without those aids without any detriment to your playing is definitely attainable.

I still prefer to play sitting down though, kanikapila style on the beach x)

dickadcock
03-28-2014, 01:13 AM
If I am playing sitting down, I use an old lap dulcimer player's trick: cut a 6" x 2' length of Rubbermaid-type shelf liner and drape it over the knee of choice. Rolls up easily to fit in your case, and does not stay in contact with your uke long enough to negatively effect even a nitro-finished uke.
The nice thing about this is that it is an easy option to have on hand, to be used or not used, according to the situation. And inexpensive. Good idea.
~ Dick