Writing a Book, Looking for a Little Help

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
Um. Eventually, if I get it done, and if I post links and all, this'll have to be stuck into the Shameless Self Promotion section, but maybe not just yet. See what you think:

I'm writing a book -- I'm always writing books -- but in this case, it's about my adventures with the ook thus far. I tend to really get into things when I like them, and while obsession might not be the right word, I have to face it, it's not that far away.

A year ago, I had just gotten my first tenor ukulele and was wondering if it might be Pandora's Box. (Now, I know it is …)

I like to read books that are about how and why somebody gets into something, the what happened, and not just the "how to" of it. So I thought I'd write about my experiences, and hope they might resonate enough to entertain readers.

What I've done is post the rough-draft Introduction to the book on my blog, and it would be helpful to me to get comments from folks who share my enjoyment of the jumping flea. I realize an intro is not the whole book, but my question is: Is this enough make you consider reading the rest of it?

At some point, assuming it gets finished, I would ask folks who might be inclined to read the book and offer opinions on what might be done to make it better, cutting this or adding that. Down the road, that.

If I put this title up, it'll be as an ebook, short, and I won't charge enough to make anything on it, it being a labor of love; however, if it gets to that point and you help, I'll offer an acknowledgement for your input up front. And if we ever run into each other, I'll buy you a beer …

You can PM me, or comment on the blog, so as not to clog up the works here. Thanks.

http://www.themanwhonevermissed.blogspot.com/2014/03/uke-book-intro.html

A fun read. I want more of it. Is the intro all so far or how to access the rest? I hope you address UAS.

You are being modest when you simply say you write books Steve, you are quite an accomplished author with a long list of published books under your belt! This new endeavor or yours is an awesome idea, one that I will happily and eagerly read. Best of luck!

Just for reference, I am 35 I thought tiny tim had a cane, I don't remember him having an ukulele, or is this another tiny tim? Is that the comedian guy the with long black hair?

I think depending on what age range you are trying to indemnity with in that intro, you may want to add another reference to the tiny tim one.

I think of Zoe Deschanel or Eddie Vedder but they are both more within my generational block of time :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words and comments, folks, here and in PMs. Already been helpful, and I appreciate it.

I'd love to read the finished product, based on what I read in the introduction. Sounds like a good read, to me.

Is there any possibility we could talk you out of using the (non)word, "ook"? It's like fingernails on a chalkboard....;)

I am eager to read more.
I wonder. ...perhaps the guy with the knife should have a gig bag on his back?
Oops, sorry... Probably not the right cover picture.:)

Stevepw: I would cut all the stuff about Tiny Tim, Third Wave, etc., because it has been written many times already. You always could drop any relevant material in later. What can make your book unique is what you eventually say it will be about: your experiences, your life. If you are writing a (personal) memoir, then why start with an impersonal history? Start with yourself, maybe a scene - an in media res kind of thing. Maybe that scene would be the moment you first played a uke, or bought one, or realized that you were hooked. Writing the impersonal history might have served its purpose in getting you to the real start of your story. Now that it has served its purpose (if you agree with my thoughts, that is), you can put it aside and save it, in case you need it later.

I totally agree with DaveY. I would drop the Tiny Tim reference.

Also, maybe I am missing something but I don't get the cover.

You are a good writer and I'm sure your book will be interesting. I wouldn't have given an opinion if you hadn't asked. At the end of the day, it is your book and you should follow your heart.

Stevepw: I would cut all the stuff about Tiny Tim, Third Wave, etc., because it has been written many times already. You always could drop any relevant material in later. What can make your book unique is what you eventually say it will be about: your experiences, your life. If you are writing a (personal) memoir, then why start with an impersonal history? Start with yourself, maybe a scene - an in media res kind of thing. Maybe that scene would be the moment you first played a uke, or bought one, or realized that you were hooked. Writing the impersonal history might have served its purpose in getting you to the real start of your story. Now that it has served its purpose (if you agree with my thoughts, that is), you can put it aside and save it, in case you need it later.

Yeah, I've been told that Tiny Tim's eccentricities were part of his "schtick" and were intentional. He deserves to be remembered however, as one of America's most prolific old-time music archivists. Much would have been lost without him.

I enjoyed reading that, thank you!
I would love to read the rest of the book as well; I always really enjoy people's stories about their passions (even more so when I share that particular passion).

I don't mind a short intruduction about Tiny Tim etc; I've read the same thing about 4 or 5 times in other ukulele books now, but before I started playing I had never heard of him (I did know George Formby, although I was a bit fuzzy about which instrument he played...).

A few small niggles; the format on the web page was not very reader friendly, a long thin column (with rather a lot going on, visually, next to it) which made reading it a bit tiring - but I assume that will be different in the final book.

Also, I agree, please don't use the word 'ook'.... I kept thinking the Librarian from the Unseen University was talking. ;)

Will you let us know when there's more to read?

A book like this about the uke would be absolutely great!

One of my all time favorite books is "Piano Lessons" by Noah Adams. A uke book like this would surely be a bestseller!

I enjoyed the intro.

I guess I'm going to have to try to let go of a pet peeve... I wish when people mean something can be affordable they would use (yes, it's a longer word) inexpensive instead of cheap. Yes, it does mean less costly. However, with one of the strong connotations for cheap being "of low quality, shoddy", calling inexpensive, but potentially quite playable, ukuleles "cheap" kind of supports the (wrong) assumption they are toys first, serious instruments only when super pricey.

I don't tend to get bent about grammar and word usage much, but be we seem to be accepting of less & less precision in our language. :(

"Affordable" is actually Latin for "the largest sum of money you can sneak past your wife without her noticing"

Hi Steve, I enjoyed your book intro despite the first paragraph where I disagree that the uke is a "guitar-wanna-be". I like your concept for the book and agree with Davey Y's comments as well about skipping the Tiny Tim and Third Wave history upfront and moving your personal story to the top.

I started playing two years ago after 30 years of guitar. My ukulele playing has advanced to the point (thanks to Lyle Ritz and Jim Beloff music books) where its sometimes boring for me to play the two-chord and three-chord songs favored by my regular uke group. However, I always remind myself that being part of this great ukulele community is really what its all about for me. The guitar playing was mainly in my room and never with other people. With the ukulele, I'm meeting regularly with friends, travelling to festivals with them, playing charity gigs, inviting new people to play, and generally enjoying a richer life.

I would love to contribute to your book if I can. Best of luck!

Thanks, folks.

Some of what I'm doing is tongue-in-cheek, I know the uke isn't a guitar-wanna be, and Tiny Tim is a big deal only to folks my age. "Cheap" and "inexpensive," I'm good with my usage in this case. "Cheap" originally meant "bargain," and the primary definition now is "low cost," so it doesn't automatically mean an insult.

I agree with many that the introduction doesn't add much to your narrative, which would be my primary interest in your book. If you do include it, please consider using citations or footnotes to show where you got your information.

Enjoyable intro. Looking forward to seeing more.

Top Bottom