Touch of Uke vs Guitar and Bass

timmit65

Reaction score
Short history..I've played bass and guitar for a long time. I've become "Uke Crazy" in the last few months. I bought a Gretsch soprano about a year ago. Since then I have bought 2 tenors. Although I love them, I've gotten a little frustrated with the intonation of the tenors! My question/ observation is…Is the "Touch" on the tenor very different than bass and steel string guitar. I think it is. As I've changed my touch [approach to playing the tenors (Read, aggressiveness)] the intonation has improved.

So, is it just me or have others found this, too

Thanks, Tim

Welcome. I think many of us are "reformed" guitar and bass players. If the intonation on your tenors are off, it may be they need a setup. I agree the touch between the steel string and uke strings are different. You're probably bending the string as you press throwing off the intonation a bit. I've found the same and after a while did adjust, lessening the "off intonation".

I have a £450 tenor and the intonation is the best I've seen. Set up is important (low at the nut) but also a decent tenor is important too.

So after "Playing the Strings In" and adjusting the action, the touch is much closer to that of a classical guitar. I have to say, it takes a lot longer for the strings to stabilize, than I expected. Intonation and touch are much better now!

This tenor came out of the box. While, my other Ukes came off the wall (Pre-broken instrings). So, I guess I wasn't use to the strings taking so long to break in!

Thanks for the help and advice!

Tim

Top Bottom