Martin TK1 Tenor thoughts

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
I have read a lot of comments but haven't found any in stores to play. Nice review on got a uke..........wondering about comments from users who have had them for a while. I own two MIM fender starts and they are fine . Most comments seem to be about wood colour and matching and this uke being bright. Wondering how it is as it opens up. Price and build seems good for less than $500 for solid Koa wood. I am wondering about comments about this TK1 vrs a Pono in same price range. I have and AT Pono solid acacia from HMS and I love it. Would TK1 be an upgrade?

The review you read I think was this one http://www.gotaukulele.com/2012/09/martin-t1k-tenor-ukulele-review.html
I loved it, but to be honest sold it. Not quite what you think though. I was playing it all the time in jams with our band, but I mainly play full electric when we play live and sold it to my lead rhythm uke player in The N'Ukes - so I still see it every practice and most gigs.

Its a superb uke and often derided by Martin purists - I really don't know why.

Colour of the wood - colour doesnt affect tone, playability or anything.
It is bright, but easily brought down using other strings - the guy I sold it to uses La Bella Pro series and it sounds ace
I have several Pono ukes - the Martin beats every one on tone and volume. Not on looks, but tone matters more.

I played mine - now his at and informal jam the other day and wanted to buy it back.

I really was one of the most exciting ukes I have bought in a couple of years.

Personally - don't care where it was made, don't care if the Koa is lower grade - it sounds fabulous.

I've always liked the T1K since I found it in a music store in Montreal by accident. It's really nice. It's not la crème de la crème but for a tenor of its make, price and quality, it's pretty fair. I have also the new Martin style 2 koa tenor but I must say that the T1K is special in its own way. :cool:

I did a video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMRZNANdO8M

cheerio!

Petey

Hazmat....yes you are correct..it was your written and video review. Thank you for comments. Good to know you think that highly of them. They seen like good value. Now I have to find one in my travels and try it out. Did you find it I opened up and got even better over time? I agree, there is always a string that can make any uke sound better. Now to play one and compare to my Pono.

Pete,you have both the 1k and 2k........ I've read comments that the 2k isn't worth the money...that you can buy a kamaka that sounds better. What do you think. I have no high end uke shops in my area so have to wait for business trip or hOliday back to Hawaii.

Bazmaz .....sorry for the typo on the name (g) ......fat finger on my iPad.
Cheers

I just bought the Martin C1K, and had read bazmaz's review, and watched Petey's video reviews a few times. It's great. I asked for one with nice coloring, and they sent me this:
image.jpg
The back looks pretty much the same, and the whole instrument is perfectly built. The Martin Nazareth factory is fairly close to where I live, and the use CNC machinery to form necks and all the various parts of guitars and ukuleles. I'm sure the factory in Mexico has the same equipment, and you can find videos showing both factories on YouTube.

I had a Pono ATD for an hour. No kidding, the Martin concert uke probably has more volume than that Pono! I haven't played the Martin T1K, but if it's anything like the C1K, it'll be a winner. I bought mine from Elderly Instruments, and asked that they pick one that looked great. It also happens to sound great. ;)

I seriously want to change my UU name to Hazmat now!!

Pete,you have both the 1k and 2k........ I've read comments that the 2k isn't worth the money...that you can buy a kamaka that sounds better. What do you think. I have no high end uke shops in my area so have to wait for business trip or hOliday back to Hawaii.

A new style 2k Martin tenor is an expensive prospect so best to try before you buy. The T1K costs less so you get what you get. I would have no qualms about disposing of my T1K now that I have the 2K. I've tested out some Hawaiian tenor ukes and they seem to have better action and are smoother than the 2K. The Martin tenors' action is a bit tough to work with. The action is the key to a tenor and how one accepts its playability.

The thing that made the T1K sound better is getting a humidifier after a few months. I wouldn't say it opened up, but it helped with the humidifier.

cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete,
My C1K arrived with slightly high action, and remembered you commenting about that in your video. I simply removed the saddle, and sanded about 1.5mm off the bottom. It's too easy to play now, but those saddles are in there fairly tight. They're no longer glued in the pocket, but the do come out with a bit of a pop. :eek: I'm at just around 2.5-2.75mm at the 12th fret now. Any lower would be ridiculous, but it'll help my wife to have action this low.

I have the TK1 and it's now my main go-to uke. Bright, nicely built, clean lines, simple but pretty looks. Nice volume, too. No problems with action or intonation, although the nut could be rounded a tad to remove its sharp edges (will do that when I next change strings). But otherwise: a great uke for the price.

What is the string height at the 12th fret on your TK1, ichadwick? Just wondering because someone at a shop that sells a lot of Martins told me that 5mm was "within Martin specs." Is that a playable action for you, or did yours come lower? Or did you lower it yourself? Why is Martin building their tenors this way, if so many people (at least from the forum and other online reviews I've read) want it lower?

To build instruments with a consistently low action and no buzzes is pretty much impossible, unless the manufacturer is going to spend a considerable amount of time and money setting each instrument up prior to shipping. That's what [reputable] dealers are for. Build 'em and ship 'em out the door with an acceptable and playable action, then let the punter decide how he wants it setting up.

What Big Kahuna says about relationship of manufacturer and dealer totally makes sense. Since joining the forum that is what I have read......pick a good dealer who does set up. I stumbled on to HMS last year by accident when on holidays and after visiting some shops in different areas really appreciate what a good dealer can do. So TK 1 may need a set up ....dealers job when you buy. Buying on line you would likely have tot week yourself. I still think they seem like good value. I found some You tube videos by Chris Martin talking about ukulele, getting back into the market and Mexico. I would stay the TK1 are build with care and quality in mind.

Bazmaz......you did a recent review on the Kremona Coco Tenor (great reviews you do by the way). How would you compare the sound of the Kremona vrs TK1.? In US the Kremona is $599 and the TK1
is $499.00. Curious on your comments having played both. I like the classic look of koa but appreciate the cool design and materials used in Kremona . Are these two instruments on par?

FrankB: You're brave to do that! The 2K action is better but still not as close at those Hawaiian tenors I've tested.

The T1k looks really nice.

Pete
Hi Pete,
I do a lot of things with my hands: commercial fly tying, large scale R/C plane building, etc. Nuts and saddles usually get replaced quickly on my guitars, and now ukes. I have a fairly decent supply of bone blanks, and space the nut slots according to what suits my finger size. Saddles are a piece of cake in comparison. ;) The worst case scenario, would be buying a new saddle from Martin, or one of the many vendors. Actually, the worst case scenario would be tearing the bridge off the soundboard, because it's really fitted to that pocket. I was very careful to apply as much downward pressure with one hand, while I used a padded pair of pliers to lift the saddle. I gave the saddle a few swipes with 600 grit sandpaper, in hopes that reduce the thickness by the tiniest amount, but enough that removing it in the future won't be such a chore. It was still quite snug when replacing it, however.

You could use a small file to lower the saddle while it's in the bridge slot, but the compensation ramps will have to be reshaped. The bridge and soundboard will need to be protected from errant file slips as well, so just removing it is an easy 5 minute job.

Hi Pete,
I do a lot of things with my hands: commercial fly tying, large scale R/C plane building, etc.

Impressive! You're a good man to know! hehe

A T1K uke is worth it. No regrets buying one of those beasts! It sounds great. Not to self-promote, I could care less, but this is how it sounds while singing live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k83GURoxA8

Pete

What is the string height at the 12th fret on your TK1, ichadwick? Just wondering because someone at a shop that sells a lot of Martins told me that 5mm was "within Martin specs." Is that a playable action for you, or did yours come lower? Or did you lower it yourself? Why is Martin building their tenors this way, if so many people (at least from the forum and other online reviews I've read) want it lower?

Doesn't seem that high - maybe 3.5 mm? - but I need a better ruler to be sure. Since it's nigh on impossible (for me anyway- the shoulder and neck get in the way) to play a chord above the 12fth fret, just mostly single notes/strings, I have no problem with the height.

If it's too high, I suspect you could sand the saddle down a hair. I haven't touched mine and am very happy with it as is.

Top Bottom