kala concert lite okuome

I already have a Pono mahogany concert or I might have checked one out. I've been watching the $199 tenor with the slotted headstock however, wondering how I could "spiffy it up" with a little tortoise shell. Guess I don't want one bad enough. Sound clips on theukulelesite didn't sound bad at all.

I thought this is a bargain price considering it all solid wood, but how does it sound

nice, light, woody ring like a solid mahogany instrument should. Not as mellow as some, but that could be caused by the Aquila strings. Lots of great strings if you want a mellower sound. Aquila strings frequently not the best choice for solid mahogany instruments. I have Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono.

I love that uke. It's a sleeper among inexpensive ukes. I don't own it but have played one several times at a local music store. It's one of the lightest ukes possible and incredibly resonant.

I can't find a link to get to the concert but, I have the slot head tenor and it's super light and sounds wonderful. There's a sound sample on this page of the tenor. I can vouch for the sound, though my playing is nowhere near as good as Corey's playing (pretty sure those are Corey's hands). :)

Oh, and I have mine low G with Aquila reds. I have the newer low g string formula Mimmo was testing and it's been going strong since January. The reds sound great on this uke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom