Season 110 of the Ukulele: Art and Artists!

RichM

Reaction score
Welcome to the Season 110! This week's theme: Art and Artists!

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Here's the playlist for this week: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_U9rjDCAA7GOdm0dXI-Ch-2JxpFBokO0

Theme:
This week is for songs about art and/or artists. Stay up one starry, starry night when you paint...errr, record... your masterpiece. Because art is everywhere, I'll be pretty broad-minded when it comes to what constitutes art or an artist. However, for the purposes of this week of the Seasons, let's stay focused on the visual arts. So painting, sculpting, drawing, even graffiti and video count. What doesn't count would be songs about writers, singers, actors, musicians-- artists in their own right, to be sure, but not for this week!

Rules:
  • Art or artists should be a major focus of the song. If the word "painting" appears once in the song and never again, that probably doesn't fit; if it comes around every chorus, probably yes. If an artist's name is a major focus of a song, it doesn't matter if the song isn't actually about art--you're all good! The same would be true if the song uses a work of art as a theme. Use your own judgment. I'm not a monster.
  • All forms of creative endeavor allowed and encouraged. Multitrack, invite your friends, create an animated cartoon, do interpretive dance, go all Trans-Siberian Orchestra on it. Just make sure the uke is featured, because, hey, this is a ukulele forum!
  • You may enter as many times as you like, but you must designate one entry as your "official" entry. Only that entry will be considered for a prize. If you don't tell me which one, I'll pick one.
  • Say "Season 110," blah blah yada yada. You know the drill.
  • All entries due by 11:59PM Hawaii time on March 30, 2014.

Prizes:
We'll have three prizes plus a special Bonus Prize:

1. The Masterpiece Award: For the best performance of the week, as determined by me, your humble host.

2. The Visionary Award: For the video showing the most creativity.

3. The Not Appreciated in His/Her Time Award: Randomly selected from among all entrants who have not otherwise won an award.

]
Even-with-your-phones-volume-off-you-can-be-alerted-about-an-emergency-with-TeXTe-for-Android.jpg

Special Bonus Prize:
Back in the 1950's, Groucho Marx hosted a quiz show called You Bet Your Life. Each episode, there was a secret word. If one of the contestants used the secret word, a puppet in the shape of a duck would come down from the rafters with $100 in his beak. I like that idea.

I have a favorite song in this category. If someone chooses to do it, they receive a special bonus prize. If more than one person does it, the prize will go to the first performer. No hints, because I don't want folks chasing after it. So sing the Secret Song and the duck will come down with a special Bonus Prize, just for you!

What prizes will actually be awarded? I'm still working on that, but rest assured they will be fabulous (ish)!

Ready... set... GO!

Last edited:
Ok...got one! I hope it counts!! *crosses fingers*

Ah, right up our alley full of graffiti. We are a household of artists here. Thinking of what you said about starry nights reminded me of when I was young I'd say, "If I ever have a boy baby. I'm going to name him Vincent so I can sing to him", "This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you". Never did have that boy, darn it all!

Ah, right up our alley full of graffiti. We are a household of artists here. Thinking of what you said about starry nights reminded me of when I was young I'd say, "If I ever have a boy baby. I'm going to name him Vincent so I can sing to him", "This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you". Never did have that boy, darn it all!

But not too late to do the song...hint, hint...

I would LOVE to do that song...but I don't think I could make it as beautiful as it needs to be. And so many people here are better at fingerpicking than I am. I hope someone does it!!!

Ha! I was just reading about the Artists' Rifles (28th Bttn., London Regiment) before I clicked through to see what was this Season's theme!

Not much remembered now - but they were responsible for the fashion for Victorian men to have huge patriarchal beards. The idea was that dashing men of action would never have time to shave. So artists of the day would swank round in great long beards to show off their patriotism and readiness to defend their country against the French - which is ironic since the fashion for bearded soldiers comes from the French: 'poilus' - the unshaven ones - is how the French regard their soldiery.

Great theme by the way. I suppose UB40 won't count though. UB40? "I'm a government artist!" "Really?! What do you do!" "I draw the dole!" Ba-doom tish!

Last edited:
This is a song I wrote 1,5 year ago in the week my brother passed away. It was the first song I thought about when the theme popped up. I originally recorded this for a season Brian hosted. For anybody interested in more of his work (the pictures are from three of his paintings) you can still see some of it on http://www.bertvanommen.nl. This is called Ode to a brother.

This is a gospelsong I found while looking for a second song for season 110. As it is written by a woman it also fits season 109.
This is Julie Meyer - Paint your Picture.

What a beautiful start to Season 110! I shouldn't be surprised that our artistic theme has so far yielded three songs of great beauty and feeling. My deepest thanks to the two gentleman who started us off this Season:

pabrizzer (The Painter): All right! That's the way to get us started on this season. Your uke sounds absolutely wonderful, and I really like the way your vocal is influenced by Neil Young without being a Neil Young impression. A very enjoyable entry. Thanks for kicking us off!

xommen (Ode to a Brother): Very moving, my friend. I love it when Seasonistas contribute original songs, and yours is extremely moving. I, too, have lost a brother, so I identify with a lot of the emotions in the song. I love the way you integrated his art into the video. Thank you so much for sharing this song.

xommen (Paint Your Picture): Another beautiful song choice, and a wonderful metaphor integrating faith and art. A very appropriate song for Sunday morning!

Might be for the best. That song doesn't end well!

They Might Be Giants - Meet James Ensor
James Ensor (1860-1949), Belgian painter. Expressionism and Surrealism.

It's a little blaring, but at least it's short ; )

Great theme, Rich. Thanks for an excuse to do one of my favourite songs. Never thought I'd play it on uke, but love it all the same.

By Harry Chapin. Harry had a way of painting a picture of his story songs in your mind. His grandfather, James Chapin was a famous painter.

This is a song I wrote 1,5 year ago in the week my brother passed away. It was the first song I thought about when the theme popped up. I originally recorded this for a season Brian hosted. For anybody interested in more of his work (the pictures are from three of his paintings) you can still see some of it on http://www.bertvanommen.nl. This is called Ode to a brother.

Wim, I remember clearly when you posted this the first time. It is an excellent tribute to your late and still-loved brother. Peace be on you.

could this be my entry please?
i don't think i can find a better art song...

Last edited:
Howdy Gang well managed to get Seasons 109 & 110 done today :) many thanks Rich for hosting and here is my official entry.
While i am here i would just like to say a massive thank you to all who view and comment on my youtube page, it is alway greatly appreciated and i try my hardest to always thank you in a reply in the comment section, sorry i dont comment as much as i used to in the old days, but i try my hardest to view as many as i can, uke love to you all :)

Top Bottom