buzzing?

pixiepurls

Reaction score
I've had my solid mahagony tenor a few weeks and now it buzzes in particular on the A string, if I fingerpick it at all remotely beyond soft or if I play the chord moderate or hard. I don't at all recall it doing this until now and it is not doing it when I play lightly but it just doesn't seem right that I "can't" play it hard if I want. Or did I just somehow get 'strong' at strumming or something??

Anyone know what causes the buzzing? The makala dolphin is not buzzing when I play on it.

I made a video incase it is helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxPgsofTdiE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Last edited:
If it only happens open fretted, First thing I try is a little paper in the nut slot. Try it see if it goes away.
If it happens when fretting, then change the string.

BTW lots of sticky threads in the Technical Assistance forum.

The first bit of that video I am not holding any frets down. So it does it when I am NOT fretting, which of course effects certain chords and open notes.

So after I made that video a few mins later I picked it up again and its NOT DOING IT. I am so confused. I am doing the same thing each time?? Is it like warming up in my hands or something??

I will check out the stitches thank you I didn't even realize!

I'd probably change the A string.

The sound is def coming form the headstock area (which is why I pointed it at the computer in the video. Its a pretty new Ukulele so I can't imagine the strings are old or worn... but I do have spares so i can change if need be. I'm a little apprehensive on the slotted headstock, looks more complex then the regular headstock.

I agree, check the strings first. If that doesn't do it and you are certain that it didn't buzz before and nothing has changed, I would suspect that humidity (or lack thereof) could be the culprit. Things just don't "mysteriously" happen. The geometry of solid instruments can change if the humidity gets dangerously out of whack. Also check your tuners to make sure none of the hardware is loose (also can be caused by a drop in humidity.)

Just a thought, but when you restring, maybe try winding it under the bottom of the post, rather than over the top. That will increase the angle at which the string passes over the nut, and may help if the string is "bouncing" in the groove. It's a long-shot, but something else to consider.

Could be many things. Lots of people expect the worst, but often its just a bad string.

Just a thought, but when you restring, maybe try winding it under the bottom of the post, rather than over the top. That will increase the angle at which the string passes over the nut, and may help if the string is "bouncing" in the groove. It's a long-shot, but something else to consider.

With slotted headstocks I wind over the top, so you don't pull the string into the wood around the slot, depending on slot clearances.

Last edited:
With slotted headstocks I wind over the top, so you don't pull the string into the wood around the slot, depending on slot clearances.

Okay thanks guys. I read the stickies also and I did email the shop I bought it from. its not doing it now which is just wild. I'm going to keep watch on it and see if it always stops after playing it for 10 minutes or so and if that trend repeats itself then at-least thats one clue. I bought some worth browns so this may be the excuse to try them but I am going to "test" it a few times more. It has been buzzing for the past few days.

Okay...I'm going to really stick my neck on the chopping block here...mostly because this happened not when I was a newbie but just this week. I was having terrible problems with my C string just faintly buzzing on one of my ukes. It would come and go, but mostly come. I about drove myself nuts and was getting ready to change the string when I noticed that my Snark tuner was just ever so slightly touching the C-string tuner... DOH! :facepalm:

John

Okay...I'm going to really stick my neck on the chopping block here...mostly because this happened not when I was a newbie but just this week. I was having terrible problems with my C string just faintly buzzing on one of my ukes. It would come and go, but mostly come. I about drove myself nuts and was getting ready to change the string when I noticed that my Snark tuner was just ever so slightly touching the C-string tuner... DOH! :facepalm:

John

HEY i have my snark tuner on it! I'll try taking it off :) GOOD SUGGESTION.

My favorite story ever, I was working at Autotrader.com while in college, I would code prototypes of the site.. so one day I could not get my audio to work. IT WOUD NOT WORK. Loads of very intelligent people came and tried. Going into the control panel in the operating system trying to figure it out. Back then in windows there was like 3 places you could mute or adjust the volume. So this dude comes over, and he stands there a minute. Then he looks at my tower (the computer itself, the big box) and there is a VOLMN dial near the power button omg. I had never used it but it was the first time I tried to listen to music on the computer and of course it fixed it and it taught me in my college years that sometimes the simplicity solution is the actual answer. I can't tell you how many people tried to fix my computer before he walked over and very quickly and simply figured it out.

So I will take my snark off :D maybe that is it!

does it without the snark on :( boo! So i've not played it for a few hours and its doing it again though not as bad. So i'm gonna play it for a while and see if it goes away like before.

do that same test but hold the tuner keys with your other hand while you play the notes. chuck had mentioned hardware. that's real common.

Top Bottom