Have uke will travel - uke shipping and travel fears

Telperion

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone. I just wanted to make a quick post to share my recent/current experience with shipping and traveling with a uke. There have been many threads over the years with members expressing fears of shipping (particularly overseas), and also with air travel and the potential for problems with security, gate checking, overhead space, etc. I recently purchased a newer Martin 3K from a UU member in Austalia and had it shipped to the U.S. I wasn't expecting it to arrive very quickly, and was surprised to see it arrive in only a week. In fact, it arrived the day before I had a business trip to Ireland, so I said, "what the hell," and I grabbed it and brought it with me to Ireland. I carried it on in a nice padded gig bag, and I'm currently in my hotel looking out at the ocean, playing this lovely little Martin.

So, it's been smooth so far, and I am very happy to have a nice uke with me on a work related trip I wasn't particularly excited about in the first place. I would encourage people to overcome their fears, and not let the location of a uke dissuade you from purchasing. Just use a fast shipping rate, make sure it gets well packed, and give it time to acclimate before unpacking it. I've now successfully shipped ukes to Argentina, the U.K., Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Canada, and I've received them from many locations too. I know there is some real risk, but I've yet to have a serious problem. As far as travel, I'm sure there are circumstances that just don't make sense, but on this particular trip, I didn't have anyone even raise an eyebrow over my carry-on uke.

-Steve

Glad to hear :). did you get to have it as your carry on? and if so how did security react to it ( i know some places have rules like u can bring a tennis racket on cause it can be considered a weapon)

Glad to hear :). did you get to have it as your carry on? and if so how did security react to it ( i know some places have rules like u can bring a tennis racket on cause it can be considered a weapon)

I flew Aer Lingus, and their website actually says that you can bring a small musical instrument in addition to your carry-on bag and personal item, provided there is space in the overhead. I only carried on one small bag, and the uke in the gig bag. Security didn't say anything about it, and I sent it through the x-ray as you would any other carry-on item. They didn't even ask to open the gig bag. In fact, I never mentioned it or asked questions about it. I simply went about my business as I normally would when traveling. I also saw two or three other people at the airport carrying what appeared to be ukuleles with them in a similar fashion, and one guy with a full size Martin guitar. This was all at Logan Airport in Boston.

I have traveled with my Moore Bettah all over the US with a couple of carriers. I will be taking it to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. My philosophy is if you aren't going to play them, then they aren't really instruments. Now, that said, I insist on overhead or closet space. I would be quite distraught if I had to check it with normal luggage...

Oh, and this is in a Uke Crazy hard shell (plywood) case.

When our family returned to the states from a trip to Israel, via Toronto, I was carrying my Martin Backpacker uke. The guy at Canadian customs asked me if I knew about UkuleleUnderground.com.

When our family returned to the states from a trip to Israel, via Toronto, I was carrying my Martin Backpacker uke. The guy at Canadian customs asked me if I knew about UkuleleUnderground.com.

haha nice :)

Thats great to hear thanks next time i travel i might bring mine, depends how long im going. but great to know

Top Bottom