Mini amp for uke - belt clip style mini

ichadwick

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a belt-clip battery-powered mini amp I can use when leading our local uke group. Being tethered to a plug-in amp is a bit frustrating at times.

Don't need a lot of volume because we're in a room, not outdoors: 1.3-3 W should work.

Needs a built-in speaker and volume control.

Am looking at a couple on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Cube-Gu...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417ce5107e&_uhb=1

and:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220870845555?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Any others?

+1 Pignose

(everyone should own a Pignose, just because...)

The red/orange one on that other post has a belt clip, but I'm putting strap buttons on both sides and use a strap to hung it on my shoulder or from my music stand. It's 2 watts, two speakers, and has reverb, tremolo, chorus, plus 80 drum tracks built in.

mini amp efx.jpg

Last edited:
Like that amp... but not sure if it's available in Canada. Will have to check... but I want to avoid a shoulder strap amp to avoid banging it into tables, chairs, lectern and my uke while I teach the group and lead them in songs. I move around a lot and also have to operate the slide show on my computer when we're playing.

Oops. Not in Canada and eBay price is about $110, shipped from China. A bit steeper than I want right now. But a good suggestion for future. Like the built-in tuner, too.

Last edited:
The danelectro has a belt clip

The Honeytone? I've looked at it locally and it seems like a nice amp... but I would prefer something a little smaller (or rather: taller versus wide). I will check to see if the local music store still sells them. They have the Marshall, Fender and a couple of other brands I seem to recall. I still like the two in the links above, though...

Ian, I am also leading a small beginner group in a room in a senior center and I am using a small PA for my voice. The uke is a lot louder than my voice and the uke volume is OK for the room, but I need a vocal boost, so I need to get the vocal volume up. I have worn this around my waist or slung over the shoulder, and it works OK. I can move around the room w/o any problems with this on my body. Not great, but it works OK for the purpose.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_PWMA60UB_PWMA60U_Waistband_Portable_PA.html

My model has a headphone but I believe there is a lapel mike also available.

The better choice, if you can arrange it, would be a unit that would have a drum beat built in (so everyone in the room was together on the beat, a problem with beginners), like one of the Roland battery powered Micro Cube RX amps, but these are not the kind of device that is hung on the waist.

The Pyle unit works for me.

Ralph

This Looks like a clone of the Marshall MS2 - or maybe Marshall source theirs from the same factory. Price is about the same allowing for $ <=> £ conversion & tax differences.

I like my MS2, its sound has its own charm and the drive position on the on/off knob gives just the right amount of edge.

Last edited:
I tried one of these at NAMM and was very impressed.
Audio2000'S® AWP6202.
I decided to go with a Pignose wireless mic system instead I can use with either and amp or pa.

The Pyle unit works for me. Ralph

I don't know how that small amp can generate 50 watts, also, the specs say "full range" speaker, but it's listed as frequency response of 100Hz - 1kHz, that's far from what is full range, 20Hz - 20kHz. But at $35, what can you expect.

This Looks like a clone of the Marshall MS2 - or maybe Marshall source theirs from the same factory. Price is about the same allowing for $ <=> £ conversion & tax differences.

I like my MS2, its sound has its own charm and the drive position on the on/off knob gives just the right amount of edge.
Was looking at the Marshall yesterday at the local store. This does look the same (except for the orange...) and half the price...

When I said that the Pyle unit works for me, please remember that I am only looking for voice amplification, and the Pyle does that. I was not looking for any high quality output from an instrument. Heck, with my hearing loss of the years, I can't hear much over 1800 hz anyway.

If I wanted something fancier, I would go wireless so as not to be tethered to the PA.

Mini Marshall.

Top Bottom