anyone liking low g on their soprano?

steel rider

Reaction score
I'm pretty much only playing my low g tenor while my two sopranos hang on the stand. Realistically I should probably get a longneck soprano or concert for traveling but thought I might try throwing a low g on my Mainland Classic Soprano, which also has a MISI pickup.

So I am wondering if any of you out there is running low g on your soprano and if so, how you do you like it?

Thanks!

It certainly worked for Herb Ohta, but I've tried low-G on my tenors several times and I always end up switching them back to reentrant because it just sounds better to me.

Fremont makes a single Low-G string you can use on your soprano.

I play low G on my KoAloha soprano and I love it. Sounds great! I've had mine strung this way since I got it which has been about 10 years ago.

Not optimal scale length for low g, but for practice, so what? I have a concert or two I plan on putting low g's on for the same reason....so I can practice without using my low g tenor all the time.

I had a longneck soprano strung low-g for a while. It wasn't great but it was okay. But, remember that I'm not a big fan of low-g on a tenor, either, I think reentrant tuning sounds much better with finger rolls.

But, obviously you like low-g so that shouldn't be an issue for you. Strung low-g the soprano will probably actually sound better (i.e. closer to your tenor) when amplified using the MiSi than it does acoustically.

John

Thanks folks. I will try the low G on the MS. It's not like it's a major investment or anything...
I hope my fingers can play the little guy.

I use low G on all sizes. Fingerpicking a little soprano with a low G string just sounds better to me.

I almost never play reentrant, so when I've had sopranos they were low G too. One was a Flea, known to be loud in the first place. The other was a mahogany Ohana pineapple. I liked low G better on the Flea, but the Ohana wasn't bad. Just much quieter.

I've tried it a few times and probably will again, but every time I do, I switch back after a few days because the soprano scale is not that well-suited to low G and the low G feels too sloppy.

Sorry a bit off the topic. But the topic make me thinking about tuning below the resonant frequency.

Back to the topic, I am interesting to try a soprano with low g and I guess I would like it.:)

I live with two music teachers. One a wife, the other a college piano teacher with perfect pitch. Both prefer low G tuning. They both favorably comment on fCFA tuning as well. For some types of music such as blues and jazz, tuned with a low g on each outside corner, and pulling #1 up A makes for an attention arresting sound whether fCFa or gCEa.
The same thing works well on a tenor or a baritone tuned dGBe. Dirk, at Southcoast is the person who champions cuatro tuning.
Cuatro tuners run the center two strings quite rapidly to get a melody line above middle C. It is nice to be able to change instruments rather than having to change strings.

I have a low G on a Mya-Moe super soprano and really like the fullness that it adds. I have tried it on others and have not always been as impressed.

Mitch

I have a Waverly Street soprano uke with Low g that I bought from Mitch. It was designed as a low-G instrument, and has a great sound.

-Kurt​

Low G works perfect on a my 1932 Martin 2 soprano. Martin strings with a Fremont Soloist low G is the perfect low G combination for me on that particular uke.

So I put an Aquila Red low g on. The tone seems fine but the Red, to me, has the quality of a wound string where the sustain doesn't match the others. I have Fremont Blacklines on my tenor so maybe I will try a Fremont Soloist low g for the soprano.

Tempted to trade my Mainland soprano with MISI for a Mainland Concert or long neck pineapple, though I don't think that is exactly a fair deal to me. Will keep trying the soprano I think.

So I put an Aquila Red low g on. The tone seems fine but the Red, to me, has the quality of a wound string where the sustain doesn't match the others. I have Fremont Blacklines on my tenor so maybe I will try a Fremont Soloist low g for the soprano.

Tempted to trade my Mainland soprano with MISI for a Mainland Concert or long neck pineapple, though I don't think that is exactly a fair deal to me. Will keep trying the soprano I think.

Fremont Soloist is completely different than an Aquila Red, can only compare them saying they aren't even close to each other.

I have a low G on a Mya-Moe super soprano and really like the fullness that it adds. I have tried it on others and have not always been as impressed.

Mitch

Ha. Ha. I bought a Mya Moe soprano from Mitch and it came with a low G. It was definitely the wrong ukulele for a low G, just did not work on that soprano. I love it with the high G. That soprano just has a tone that is too light and sweet to carry the low G, and the low G string also just feels sloppy.

Ha. Ha. I bought a Mya Moe soprano from Mitch and it came with a low G. It was definitely the wrong ukulele for a low G, just did not work on that soprano. I love it with the high G. That soprano just has a tone that is too light and sweet to carry the low G, and the low G string also just feels sloppy.

Ha Ha! I liked that Mya-Moe soprano with the low G but do prefer the super soprano I now have. The little bit of extra tension does makes a difference.

Mitch

Last edited:
Top Bottom