NUD... this could be tough!

pixiepurls

Reaction score
My Pono MB requires direct signature from fedex and their delivery window is basically ALL DAY until 8pm!! My daughter has an ear infection so I have to take her to the doc around 10:30 and won't it suck if fedex comes while I am out? Not to mention picking the kids up from school.

I hope I don't miss them today :( could be a long day!!! Fedex delivery at my house varies greatly (interesting fact when i called fedex that have a new system that can tell you historically what time they come to your area and mine was 9am - 4pm LOL! not helpful!!!

Esh.. its all about timing today! If I miss it there is a chance I can get to the fedex facility before they close and hope the driver is there already or that he arrives before they close. I wish it had in-direct signature because I could have signed for it via the fedex website!

I wouldn't care so much but the temps here are fluctuating like crazy and I don't like the idea of it sitting on a truck in the cold!!! Currently 27 degrees here with snow predicted for tomorrow.

Wish me luck!!!!

Can't you call Fedex and have them hold the package at your local Fedex facility?

Then you could just pick it up whenever!

Can't you call Fedex and have them hold the package at your local Fedex facility?

Then you could just pick it up whenever!

I second that- this is pretty much the only way I get a package from FedEx anymore. Unfortunately, since your uke is already on the truck, you probably can't get it that way today. But FedEx will hold a package for pickup at any FedEx Office/Kinkos location, where it will stay nice and warm until you come and get it. My local FedEx Office is 24/7, so finding a time to stop in and pick it up is NOT a problem!

Judging by the time of your post, it is probably already on the truck for delivery. With those temps, make sure you let the box acclimate for quite awhile before you open it.

As other have mentioned, you can have FedEx hold the package at the nearest office for pick up. You can set it up by calling or do it online.

I do it all the time online to hold at my local office. They even call me when they receive it.

Judging by the time of your post, it is probably already on the truck for delivery. With those temps, make sure you let the box acclimate for quite awhile before you open it.

thank you for reminding me of this because I bet my excitement would have gotten the better of me! I am assuming it'll come in its hard case. Should I open the cardboard box and not open the hard case, or leave it in both boxes? I'll keep it downstairs the first 24 hours too because its colder down there then up stairs were I normally play. I guess I'll be able to tell when the box gets to room temp just by touching it.

I would open the box, but leave the case in the box with all of the packaging around it. After 3 or 4 hours I would take it out of the box, but leave it in its case for another 5 or 6 hours before opening it. :( Don't want to ruin an exciting day! In the meantime go back to the HMS website and drool over the pics of it for awhile and play your other ukes.

I would open the box, but leave the case in the box with all of the packaging around it. After 3 or 4 hours I would take it out of the box, but leave it in its case for another 5 or 6 hours before opening it. :( Don't want to ruin an exciting day! In the meantime go back to the HMS website and drool over the pics of it for awhile and play your other ukes.

sounds good :) IF I get it today lol!

It's tough, isn't it? I have these signature-requiring things sent directly to the nearest FedEx or UPS office, and pick them up there. That also takes care of the first two to six hours of acclimatizing. Back before I started doing that, FedEx would leave a note telling me that I could pick it up between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm at their office. UPS was less accommodating - they wouldn't let me pick it up until the next evening.

Have fun being tortured today, and I hope your daughter feels better.

Aside from the delivery schedule dilemma and good luck with that...suppose it's 27 degrees outside, the uke inside the truck is probably at least above freezing, you bring it inside, open it up and...??? Is it going to immediately crack and warp or something? Has anyone had problems with this?

If you leave a note, with your signature, and there is a safe place to leave the package, sometimes FedEx will accept that if you know you aren't going to be home. I've talked to my FedEx guy about this and while it's up to his or her discretion, I haven't had any problems with this.

It's tough, isn't it? I have these signature-requiring things sent directly to the nearest FedEx or UPS office, and pick them up there. That also takes care of the first two to six hours of acclimatizing. Back before I started doing that, FedEx would leave a note telling me that I could pick it up between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm at their office. UPS was less accommodating - they wouldn't let me pick it up until the next evening.

Have fun being tortured today, and I hope your daughter feels better.

Thanks! we made it to the docs office and back and I didn't miss them. But I have to leave to pick up her antibiotic and to pick up the other kid so I'll leave a note just incase it works :)

Aside from the delivery schedule dilemma and good luck with that...suppose it's 27 degrees outside, the uke inside the truck is probably at least above freezing, you bring it inside, open it up and...??? Is it going to immediately crack and warp or something? Has anyone had problems with this?

I suppose its always possible if there is a huge temperature difference. If it was a normal spring day I wouldn't even think of it but we have snow coming and I am sure it was quiet warm in Hawaii. I am no expert, and I am sure there is not a HIGH chance of it happening but its all about being careful I suppose. I spent enough on it to care :) solid wood seems pretty finicky in particular when its not sealed with a gloss.

I have a crack in a big thick wooden wine bottle wall holder I got from pottery barn.

Yes, twice. Both times I have been the shipper, not the receiver. Still in the midst of trying to settle a claim with the USPS on the second one. And no matter what the temperature is in Hawaii, at 30,000 ft in the cargo plane chances are it isn't a balmy 70 degrees. I have stopped selling ukes in the winter because of this. When it finally(if ever!) warms up here on the east coast, I have a few more ukes I have to sell to raise some funds.

It arrived a few hours ago, I got super lucky it was around noon when i was eating lunch and planned to leave about 20 mins later ! So I left it in the box in the case but the box was opened and had to run out to do kid stuff and then like I think 1.5 hours later or so I opened the case as it felt room temperature to get a peek! PRETTY! It felt very cold inside so I quickly closed it and didn't touch it with my warm hands.

GAH!!! :drool:

Last edited:
I know it's frustrating, but you are doing the right thing. Rapidly raising the temperature of an instrument (i.e., from a cold, cold box to your warm, warm hands) can definitely result in finish cracks (very common) and even cracks in the wood in extreme cases. You'll be playing that uke the rest of your life... what's a few hours? :)

It arrived a few hours ago, I got super lucky it was around noon when i was eating lunch and planned to leave about 20 mins later ! So I left it in the box in the case but the box was opened and had to run out to do kid stuff and then like I think 1.5 hours later or so I opened the case as it felt room temperature to get a peek! PRETTY! It felt very cold inside so I quickly closed it and didn't touch it with my warm hands.

GAH!!! :drool:

Now, that's what I call will power! Before I had read any threads on letting a package acclimate, I had ordered a uke right around the first of the year, and it arrived during an Alabama cold snap. I tore into the box immediately. I'm so glad nothing bad happened and I will never do that again.

Top Bottom